New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Jan 15, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #2,671 of 8,377
  no, in new delhi, no one even sells high end audiophile products
i have to order everything online, I've just been reading here n there,

i guess ill just wait till ak240 is released and see what people have to say about it with the roxannes including you. 

any idea on the release date n price ?

sadly, I won't be getting the AK240 heh, the shape for me isn't pocketable, just imo.

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #2,672 of 8,377
For me I go for no compromise....and i still feel all those portable dap cant come close to the sq of a imod/noisepod-amp combo...though its definitely not pocketable...ive tried ak100/120/901 and hated all of them

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #2,675 of 8,377
nice to hear shipping starts to trickle again.

I ordered on BF, non-CF, impressions received on 4th Dec.

I'm hoping I get shipping notice this week or next.

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #2,681 of 8,377

And still, some people say Roxanne is fine with AK120.

Well it sounded fine for the 5 mins i tried it with the 120... xD

I used the Meridian Prime mostly with it.

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #2,682 of 8,377
The interesting is that Jerry Harvey says it's fine with the AK120; that's what he uses for people to audition the Roxanne with...

BAs are less susceptible to damping factor loss of bass control than dynamic drivers, but are susceptible to changes in frequency response, so I dunno... perhaps the low >9 kHz impedance, assuming positive electrical polarity, will cause the treble to lift with low damping factor... I dunno.

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #2,683 of 8,377

Well it sounded fine for the 5 mins i tried it with the 120... xD

I used the Meridian Prime mostly with it.

The OI on AK120 would only matter if Roxanne is plugged in directly. The Meridian Prime has OI of 2-Ohms that must be why you don't hear much difference. I actually demoed AK120 in Singapore Mook using JH16 and it defintely sounded thin on bass heavy songs. I was switching back and forth between the HO on AK120 and through C5D amp. The difference became more pronounced when I switch the bass boost on C5D to high. 

As far as the highs go, I must have settled to the DX50's sound that the same song had a somewhat colored (different) rendition on AK120 even behind the C5D amp.  I spent at least 30 minutes on the AK booth that day trying out different songs as I can but I really can't convince myself to get the AK120 that day despite the good deal/discount. It's nice in the hands though and I could really use the dual micro SD slot.

It's limitation really is a shame coz it suppose to be a good on the go pair with Roxanne. But it turns out, the only way I can use it is as a very expensive transport which negates all of it's advantages over other DAPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back