New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Aug 29, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #6,811 of 8,377
T
That's a very sensible attitude. When I got my 13's I was expecting the moon on a stick and was dissapointed. Over a bit of time I came to appreciate them. Especially when I had to return them and go back to my IEM while they were being checked. I don't put any of that down to burn in though. More managing expectations.

I am glad you can appreciate my take on the Roxanne Uni's. For some reason, my expectations were tempered, even though I had just dropped (my personal record for) the most cash ever on IEM's. Like I said, I have greatly enjoyed them already, even though they are a little high-maintenence! Kinda reminds me of some of my favorite recordings by certain artists: instead of being immediately blown away, the enjoyment unfolds slowly, but surely.

Aug 29, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #6,813 of 8,377
  So...what is the consensus regarding the best "tips" for the Roxanne Universal? 

Like I said the tips that seem to work best for me and for many are the Comply T-500 that they come with, or I also think the Comply TS-500 work well. I would love to get the Muse Spin-Fit tips but unfortunately unless you live in China there is no way to get them at least not yet. 

You weren't able to get a good seal with the Comply?

Aug 29, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #6,814 of 8,377
Like I said the tips that seem to work best for me and for many are the Comply T-500 that they come with, or I also think the Comply TS-500 work well. I would love to get the Muse Spin-Fit tips but unfortunately unless you live in China there is no way to get them at least not yet. 

You weren't able to get a good seal with the Comply?

Seconded. I also find that the comply T500 works best. I can use them for multiple hours and have zero discomfort. Recently ordered in a pack of monster gel / foam tips, will report how they fare :)

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #6,815 of 8,377
Any speculation on the next sale? They used to have several over the year but now it seems like they only have one sale during Black Friday.

Patiently waiting to pull the trigger on the Roxannes... 

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #6,817 of 8,377
Quick question: Is it possible to re-shell a universal Rox into a custom? I've read somewhere that this is not possible due to the fact that the universal drivers were tuned specifically for its housing and re-shelling into a custom will mess up the FreqPhase response. Could someone confirm this? Thanks!

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #6,818 of 8,377
I think it is possible, but I dont know if they can do the freqphase thing yet.

Aug 30, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #6,819 of 8,377
Just got this thing...it's HUGE!!! I can't really give much of an impression yet. But from what I can tell...good soundstage, bass dials work well, I love the cable, love the metal case, SiBiLaNt at higher volumes....hopefully this will change. I don't want to return it but will see...it's hitting a few chords right at the moment.

Aug 30, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #6,821 of 8,377
Just got this thing...it's HUGE!!! I can't really give much of an impression yet. But from what I can tell...good soundstage, bass dials work well, I love the cable, love the metal case, SiBiLaNt at higher volumes....hopefully this will change. I don't want to return it but will see...it's hitting a few chords right at the moment.

Congrats on the purchase! Give them some time, they are really like no other. Don't know your personal opinion on burn-in, but I feel my Roxanne Uni's greatly benefitted from several hours of just rolling through my iTunes while plugged in the headphone jack on my MacBook.

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #6,822 of 8,377
Congrats on the purchase! Give them some time, they are really like no other. Don't know your personal opinion on burn-in, but I feel my Roxanne Uni's greatly benefitted from several hours of just rolling through my iTunes while plugged in the headphone jack on my MacBook.

I do believe burn-in to have its place. However, just observation-wise, I hear some brashness in all spectrums of sound in the first hour of use. I hope the sound smooths out eventually. They are beautiful to look at though...

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #6,823 of 8,377
I do believe burn-in to have its place. However, just observation-wise, I hear some brashness in all spectrums of sound in the first hour of use. I hope the sound smooths out eventually. They are beautiful to look at though...

I felt the same way, when I got them, but as the fit stabilized and I familiarized myself with insertion, that harshness went away.

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #6,824 of 8,377
Yeah, as big as the IEM is...it actually fits well after you pick the right tip. I'm using large silicones, single flange. They are the same used in the Audio Technica ATH series, which I love. I'm pretty sure they are the same. I still have the tips from the CKS-1000. It's a good thing that the ear guide is well built, if it wasn't for that, the fitting might not be as stable I feel. So far I feel the sound is thick, dark, but also extended. Excellent with chillout/indie from the few hours I've been using it...no regrets so far...

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #6,825 of 8,377
  Quick question: Is it possible to re-shell a universal Rox into a custom? I've read somewhere that this is not possible due to the fact that the universal drivers were tuned specifically for its housing and re-shelling into a custom will mess up the FreqPhase response. Could someone confirm this? Thanks!

I'd imagine you would probably be better off selling the universal and ordering the custom from scratch tbh.   Or you could get the custom and then sell the universal, so you would have something to listen to while you w-a-i-t...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back