New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Aug 24, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #6,783 of 8,377
$35 incl shipping

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #6,785 of 8,377

I might be wrong on this, but i've heard that burn-in doesn't make too big of a difference for BA drivers compared to dynamic ones? 

Most of it, is just your brain adjusting to the sound

It can be either, and depends on the drivers used by the manufacturer. My JH13s, when they first arrived, had a very poor bass response. It wasn't a matter of my brain at all, they literally sounded like utter crap. Suddenly after some hours of use, the bass appeared. Later on I asked another manufacturer about burn-in and they said the drivers they use don't change with use.

On the other hand, my experience with "brain burn-in" is that if I use a pair of IEMs or headphones exclusively, I get used to the sound. It is changing to using another pair after having spent time listening to music that I find causes the most problems. 

So overall there isn't a universal truth about this. Probably the advice to give a new pair of IEMs or headphones some use is going to be the best, regardless of the possible reasons. 
smile.gif

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #6,786 of 8,377
I found the same thing with my jh16s twice. Both times the bass sounded bloated the soundstage was all in your face and not wide after some time they sounded awesome

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #6,787 of 8,377
It can be either, and depends on the drivers used by the manufacturer. My JH13s, when they first arrived, had a very poor bass response. It wasn't a matter of my brain at all, they literally sounded like utter crap. Suddenly after some hours of use, the bass appeared. Later on I asked another manufacturer about burn-in and they said the drivers they use don't change with use.

On the other hand, my experience with "brain burn-in" is that if I use a pair of IEMs or headphones exclusively, I get used to the sound. It is changing to using another pair after having spent time listening to music that I find causes the most problems. 

So overall there isn't a universal truth about this. Probably the advice to give a new pair of IEMs or headphones some use is going to be the best, regardless of the possible reasons. :smile:

I am sure the sound is improving immensely on my new Roxanne Universals. Still experimenting with the tips and I have yet to get the fit "just right", once I do, it's game on/over. These are great 'phones already.

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #6,788 of 8,377

So overall there isn't a universal truth about this. Probably the advice to give a new pair of IEMs or headphones some use is going to be the best, regardless of the possible reasons. 
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing this. My uni Rox has been burned in for over 48 hours now. I'm not sure if its brain burn in, but I feel that the bass has tightened up a little bit and sibilance has reduced slightly. I'm really enjoying them so far, they are very enjoyable to listen to and the sound just completely wraps around your head. Bass is punchy, fast and clean yet still so much clarity in the mids and highs. 

Just out of curiosity, for those who have the Tralucent Audio 1Plus2, how do they compare to the Roxannes? Thanks :) 

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #6,789 of 8,377
  Thanks for sharing this. My uni Rox has been burned in for over 48 hours now. I'm not sure if its brain burn in, but I feel that the bass has tightened up a little bit and sibilance has reduced slightly. I'm really enjoying them so far, they are very enjoyable to listen to and the sound just completely wraps around your head. Bass is punchy, fast and clean yet still so much clarity in the mids and highs. 

Just out of curiosity, for those who have the Tralucent Audio 1Plus2, how do they compare to the Roxannes? Thanks :) 

IMHO, sound wise 1Plus2 does better job. Especially, soundstage and instrument separation. With Uber cable it is. I sold mine, just because it wasn't comfortable and didn't isolate well enough for commute. And uber cable is to fragile to take outside.

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #6,790 of 8,377

IMHO, sound wise 1Plus2 does better job. Especially, soundstage and instrument separation. With Uber cable it is. I sold mine, just because it wasn't comfortable and didn't isolate well enough for commute. And uber cable is to fragile to take outside.

Interesting, but you have kept the Roxanne's instead. Admittedly, I find my Roxanne's a bit too bulky for outside use. How does the bass on the 1Plus2 compare to the Rox? 

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #6,791 of 8,377
Really had a chance to sit down and enjoy my Roxanne Universals. Just a great, great IEM. The fit takes a little getting used to, these things are huge, and do protrude, unlike some IEM's that nearly disappear into your ears. The sound really is amazing, and though the tariff for entry is not for everyone, if you can afford it and feel your listening enjoyment is worth it, you will enjoy them!

Aug 27, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #6,792 of 8,377
  Interesting, but you have kept the Roxanne's instead. Admittedly, I find my Roxanne's a bit too bulky for outside use. How does the bass on the 1Plus2 compare to the Rox? 

The bass has about the same impact and body. Maybe, the Roxanne's bass just a little bit punchier. I kept my Roxannes because they are more practical for outside use. When I had 1+2s with uber cable I tried to take to outside. The cable is to bulky and heavy and they didn't isolate well on the bus commute.
1+2 with uber cable has better sound, more engaging, Roxannes is better with everything else.

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #6,793 of 8,377
My Uni Rox now have close to 200 hours on them and any sibilance issues I had are now gone. Don't know if it's due to burn in or just my brain and ears adjusting but they sound incredible now, loving these. 

Aug 27, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #6,794 of 8,377
My Uni Rox now have close to 200 hours on them and any sibilance issues I had are now gone. Don't know if it's due to burn in or just my brain and ears adjusting but they sound incredible now, loving these. 

I totally agree!!! I know the "burn-in" of IEM's is subjective and source of deliberation, but I am definitely enjoying these more every hour, every day.

Aug 27, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #6,795 of 8,377
FYI: I got the FedEx notification via email for my Black Friday CF order yesterday; should receive my Roxanne's next week. JH received my impressions just after New Year's. As a side note for those still waiting, JH's website order status did not change from "Impressions received and order processed" (or similar).

//TB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back