New iRiver AK70
Jul 6, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #181 of 1,293
It reminds me of a thread I saw awhile ago.  The argument of the thread was the best use of money was a Samsung Note 4, a large SD card and an SD to micro SD adapter, a Zerolemon 10,000mAH case which you could also tuck the adapter into, and your choice of dac/amp like the Mojo.  You'd get large storage & battery life, bluetooth, streaming, etc and top quality sound.  While I'd use the AK70 as a transport, it wouldn't be used purely as that and nothing else as there would be many times I'd prefer a smaller setup so the AK70 would be used alone.  If I just wanted to use it as a transport purely, I'd use my gen 1 Fiio X5 with it's 2 mSD for decent storage.

Jul 6, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #182 of 1,293

From technical standpoint you are not wrong - provided the digital output is implemented properly the device connecting to the Mojo is just a file transport and providing the front facing UI. So it all boils down to features. A few people don't like to use their main phone as a transport as smartphones are already battery starved as it is - using it as a digital transport just drains batteries more, plus most smartphones emits lots of EMI when it is connected to the cell towers, and those EMI gets picked up by analog circuits and wires and can reveal themselves in forms of those weird beeps clicks and pops, so unless you plan to put your phone in Airplane mode (ie all radios OFF) such that it's no longer working as a phone, phones aren't optimal as transports (unless you have a spare phone which you don't use as a phone).

Then there's general UI, proper DAPs tends to have better customized UI than a straight music player app, though that's not always true, but at least AK IMO does make one of the better UIs out there. 

Heya, thanks for the interesting read. Very informative. Never thought of it like that (EMI, battery, UI). Just to clarify that I'm not just talking about phones in general. I'm talking about getting a cheaper dap or a phone as a music file delivery system instead of getting an expensive dap like ones from the AK line just to hook up with the Mojo. Just seems like a waste to me.

But I do agree with your points about phones, especially about the EMI disturbances and battery consumption. For the customized UI, I could see that as a main reason why people would like stack the AK70 w/ the Mojo but still, my point is, there are other options that costs less.

Again, interesting read. I've learned a lot. :)

Jul 6, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #183 of 1,293
I don't understand either, I refuse to buy a dap just to bypass it for use with moJo.
I've seen people buying top of the line AK players just to pair with moJo! I would rather spend the money on Hugo.

Ak380 + moJo £2,800
Midtier smartphone + hugo £1,700

Hahaha. Yup my thoughts exactly. Spend the money saved for something else. :)

Jul 6, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #184 of 1,293
Just saw this on iRiver Japan's tweet. Seems like an AK Jr-like player called AK70? This is coupled with the Mojo, & looks nice too.

Apparently retails for $599 according to :-

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1006337.html

Photos shamelessly taken from iRiver's tweets :-

And this one taken from Fujiya's tweet (size comparison to the Jr)

It's wonderful. I am gonna get one soon.

Jul 6, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #185 of 1,293
Since mojo is a best DAC out of the markets so far, iriver also think for smart and do with bundle size to mojo and single USB output only.

I dun think AK70 will be wrong way.
This is a option for pocket size DAP also at same time you guys able to bring Mojo together that is a better choice.

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #186 of 1,293
It's wonderful. I am gonna get one soon.

Anyway plus the case really perfect match
1827AC7B-C164-44B6-AB0C-7E4A78796A3D_zpsnacryxpn.jpeg

ABD6C039-B003-42DE-AEE6-0A66CA0A3943_zpsasesmyey.jpeg

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #188 of 1,293

Heya, thanks for the interesting read. Very informative. Never thought of it like that (EMI, battery, UI). Just to clarify that I'm not just talking about phones in general. I'm talking about getting a cheaper dap or a phone as a music file delivery system instead of getting an expensive dap like ones from the AK line just to hook up with the Mojo. Just seems like a waste to me.

But I do agree with your points about phones, especially about the EMI disturbances and battery consumption. For the customized UI, I could see that as a main reason why people would like stack the AK70 w/ the Mojo but still, my point is, there are other options that costs less.

Again, interesting read. I've learned a lot. :)

Some people don't believe that "bits are bits" and that more expensive DAPs output better "bits", it's just a fact that that line of thinking exists in the audiophile community.  You only have to look at the Mojo thread to see various discussions about "synergy" between different DAPs and the Mojo to see that.

I have a Mojo as well and I'm tempted to get the AK70, not because I want to stick to together so much (though I like that the option is there to build a really clean a tidy stack that doesn't look like a IED) but because I really like pocketable small size DAPs that are feature rich as well as competent on their own and up until now that market segment haven't been served well, so maybe its success will fuel more products in that segment. 

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #189 of 1,293
Oh wow @ that combo case.  I'm sold.

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #190 of 1,293

Some people don't believe that "bits are bits" and that more expensive DAPs output better "bits", it's just a fact that that line of thinking exists in the audiophile community.  You only have to look at the Mojo thread to see various discussions about "synergy" between different DAPs and the Mojo to see that.

I have a Mojo as well and I'm tempted to get the AK70, not because I want to stick to together so much (though I like that the option is there to build a really clean a tidy stack that doesn't look like a IED) but because I really like pocketable small size DAPs that are feature rich as well as competent on their own and up until now that market segment haven't been served well, so maybe its success will fuel more products in that segment. 

I see. Again, I find this discussion really interesting, like the "synergy" part. Not saying I don't believe it. I guess I'll just have to hear it for myself to see what people are on about. But I do agree that small, pocketable daps w/ rich features are hard to come by. Especially those that can stand up by itself. I currently use the Fiio X5ii + E12A amp. So far I'm impressed w/ the sound but too clunky to carry and sounds dull without the amp. Portability is really important for me. And minimizing or removing stacks of equipment is a dream I haven't achieved yet. Hopefully the AK70 is will do just that and maybe outshine my current rig.

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #191 of 1,293
  hmm, is the cable tucked in the case?

I guess there must be a small void in the case, since Mojo is naturally shorter than the AK70, but it isn't a tidy solution when they couldn't even be bothered to use right-angled plugs for that photoshoot.

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #192 of 1,293
This wouldn't work he needs mini to USB B.
The only option is to get it custom made .

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/vertere-micro-usb-to-usb-b-usb-otg-on-the-go-cable.html

Here is one that I can think of on top of my head but there are many great cable makers.

You can for now just use an otg cable and a normal USB to test it. Dpx1 works with anything I paired it with. You can play around with jitter setting of you have stuttering .
My issue with dpx1 is how UI, it isn't made for music.

Since dp-x1 is app capable, it has more usb dac app to use: e.g. UAPP (which is made to stream tidal to usb), poweramp alpha, hiby,,,  They are all capable of usb audio output. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back