New iRiver AK70
Jul 3, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #121 of 1,293
  So does transport mean it doesn't have its own internal DAC and Amp? 

mm....if you are referring to the T3, I think the finals specs are still being debated in the T3 thread. Not in development really....more like the concept stage. That's why I commented on the difference between a tangible, out-in-the-market product like the AK 70 vs. waiting for a product that is still in the concept stage. Basically, vaporware.

Jul 3, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #122 of 1,293
Will be interesting to hear about AK70 -> WooAudio WA8: I hope the USB Digital-out of the AK70 will be operational with the WA8.  

Indeed, on the AK70 there is no possibility to mount the WA8 Driver like I did on my TabletPC, so the WA8 will have to be reconized by the AK70 without the help of the WA8 driver...

Jul 3, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #123 of 1,293
mmm....my exact concern also: compatibility/driver issue with the WA8 Eclipse. I've read the updated webpage of Astell & Kern re:  product info of the  AK 70 and there's a diagram there that basically suggest plug-n-play. SAME SAME concern with the Continental Dual Mono. I amwaiting for my dealer here to produce the AK 70 so I can confirm compatibility. In the meantime, I've messaged their FB regarding this issue. Hopefully, a reply will be forthcoming soon.

I'm guessing/hoping that the necessary drivers for different amps are already pre-installed on the AK 70. Or, with the Wifi connection of the AK 70 and upon insertion of USB amp (Model X, Y, Z), the AK 70 will auto-search for the correct drivers and install it to complete the "handshake" of the two devices.

Spotted on the updated webpage of Astell & Kern, in the comparison chart of the AK 70 vs. AK 300 vs. AK 320, there's a note there stating that  USB Audio will be supported by the AK 300 via future update. AK is silent on the other AK players.

Jul 3, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #124 of 1,293
Ok so now you have an official mission: Testing the AK70 with the WA8. We are awaiting for your report...:wink:

Jul 3, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #126 of 1,293
Tried AK70 + WA8 already, works without issue :)

Jul 3, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #127 of 1,293
Tried AK70 + WA8 already, works without issue
smily_headphones1.gif

Very good news.  And is the sound is as good as when using a USB Laptop to feed the WA8 ? 

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #130 of 1,293
mmm....just got this message from AK via FB Messenger:

Since we don't have enough information regarding specs of both AMPs mentioned above, we are unable to guarantee whether it will be compatible with AK70 or not. So it would be better to ask those AMP's manufacturers to check its compatibility. Thank you.

So, what amp did they test with the AK 70's USB out before manufacture?? l mean, there aren't a lot of amp or amp/Dacs that accepts USB Audio. WA8, CDM, Aurender Flow, the Chords, iFi iDSD Micro, CEntrance HifiM8 are the more prominent examples.................................lol! At the very least, they should disclose in the AK 70's product page or documentation the amps that are USB Digital out- compatible with their product. It's just common sense and goes a long way in empowering their potential customers in making an informed decision. I mean, this is their debut product for USB Digital Out!

I'm glad that WA8 is compatible  with the AK70, out-of-the-box.

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #131 of 1,293
Just note DSD to DAC isn't native, it's DoP. Onkyo dpx1 perhaps is a better USB source as it does offer native DSD output without wrapping into 8bit pcm packs.

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #132 of 1,293
mmm.......yes, but pricier and wasted as a transport for the WA8, CDM, Aurender Flow etc. (is the Onkyo compatible with those?). The Tidal.com support on the Onkyo is a mighty big incentive..........thinking....

Jul 4, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #133 of 1,293
mmm.......yes, but pricier and wasted as a transport for the WA8, CDM, Aurender Flow etc. (is the Onkyo compatible with those?). The Tidal.com support on the Onkyo is a mighty big incentive..........thinking....

Yes, I think. And uapp + tidal you can EQ the stream too.

Jul 4, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #134 of 1,293

It cost the same to purchase either one of those, where I live that is. In Australia, the AK70 prices is 999 AUD (751.84 USD). For me onkyo DP-X1 is a better source as it does native DSD, DSD upsampling, dual 200 GB storage, support for various DLNA apps while allow NAS streaming.

Now where I have an issue is with its UI! I really like the apple/AK UI, this is where dp-x1 sucks.

Jul 4, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #135 of 1,293
mmm.....thanks! I'm going to my dealer here with my amps (wa8, cdm, aurender flow) to test compatibility with the Onkyo DPX1's OTG USB Digital Out. Price between the 2 is a 200 usd difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back