New iRiver AK70
Jul 1, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #93 of 1,293
I was eventually going for the 320 but this actually will suit my needs better. Very happy to see it.

I am thinking the same as you. I do wish for a 128GB version. For me all the AK models after the AK120titan were just too large.

The AK70 size and price is actually portable and wallet friendly, for once!

Jul 1, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #94 of 1,293
  anthing mentioned about expected battery life?

am concerned about this too. 

i'm actually looking for a small portable player to accompany me on my runs and when im on flights. 

Jul 2, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #96 of 1,293
  Mmm....battery life has never been a problem for my AKs. For extended listening sessions, power bank the DAP.

Does it last more than 10 hours ? 

I'm holding at DP-X1 now and it does last more than 10 hours. 

I was stalking the AK380 thread and it seems like pple get 6-8 hours on it and which is a big no no for me. 

And I don't agree on power banking the DAP - in the first place, it should have enough juice ! 

Jul 2, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #97 of 1,293
Mmm....you are correct. Ak 380 cu does not last that long. 6-8 hours on average. Don't get it if battery life is your top priority. For me, it is SQ performance that matters the most. Hence, I am willing to sacrifice battery life to get the most out of my headphones and in-ears. Also, it is  a good idea to give your ears some rest to avoid damaging your hearing because we all know that it is irreversible. What's the use of having all these wonderful headfi gear if our hearing is gone? So,  6-8 hours is more than enough for me.

Jul 2, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #98 of 1,293
  Mmm....you are correct. Ak 380 cu does not last that long. 6-8 hours on average. Don't get it if battery life is your top priority. For me, it is SQ performance that matters the most. Hence, I am willing to sacrifice battery life to get the most out of my headphones and in-ears. Also, it is  a good idea to give your ears some rest to avoid damaging your hearing because we all know that it is irreversible. What's the use of having all these wonderful headfi gear if our hearing is gone? So,  6-8 hours is more than enough for me.

Battery is not my top priority, but I prefer a more balanced approach where battery life is considered equally. If the whole point of portability means chugging along a few more battery banks, then it's not a solution for me (which explains why I haven't touched AK products until now) :p

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #99 of 1,293
mmm......you want battery life with very good SQ? Try the excellent Sony ZX2 (more than 15 hours). For maximum battery life: iPod Classic with the Cypher Labs Theorem 720, with its unique feature to continuously  charge the iPod  (up to 30 hours of playback). SQ is very much acceptable, except for sensitive iems (hiss problem). Reasonable stack.

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #100 of 1,293
  mmm......you want battery life with very good SQ? Try the excellent Sony ZX2 (more than 15 hours). For maximum battery life: iPod Classic with the Cypher Labs Theorem 720, with its unique feature to continuously  charge the iPod  (up to 30 hours of playback). SQ is very much acceptable, except for sensitive iems (hiss problem). Reasonable stack.

LOL - on the Sony side of things, the ZX2 is enormous. A DAP that enormous, with a highly-integrated Class-D implementation, and such puny power output, should last at least double that (even with Hi-Res)

And as soon as you plug a ZX1/2 into a DAC-Amp, the battery life is.... shockingly bad.

Without plugging them into a DAC-Amp, their SQ is very artificial, too. It doesn't sound at all natural or real.

So... Sony need to up their game before I'd recommend their DAPs to anyone (build quality of ZX1 is beautiful, though - I will give Sony that much).

Jul 2, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #101 of 1,293
ot: mmm.....I disagree. The SQ is very good (okay, digital enhancements included, which you can disable,  and , yes, digital sounding which is not necessarily bad) and it is not enormous. Clearly, you are exaggerating. The form factor is similar to a smartphone. For iems, the amp section is more than adequate. Try it with the Beyerdynamic AKT8ie and the Zeus XIV and you'll be surprised just how good it is. For headphones, I do prefer using it with the Vorzuge Pure II + with an LOD to 3.5 IC. With the amp, I get something like 8 to 12 hours, at the very least. Battery life is better than average. Build quality is SOLID. UI is fast,  fluid  and easy to use (for an Android-based O.S.). And, yes, it can stream tidal.com (which is a huge thing for me). I've put in hundreds of hours on my ZX2 and all I can say is it got better. That's why I can recommend it.

Jul 2, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #102 of 1,293
They are now listening to AK70 and AK300 at a Beijing show. Initial reviewer said some preferred AK70 with T8ie gen2.

Giving that the 70 is more powerful than 300. I am not surprised.

But for 2.5 balanced I don't think a single dac model can challenge those dual dac models.

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #105 of 1,293
  Only thing this falls short is storage. Dual micro SD card slot would make more sense....

Sorry to disagree with `Only thing this falls short is storage`
IMHO, I will also add:

- No TOSLINK,
- No SPDIF Coaxial,
- USB `Bit Perfect` at 24bit/192kHz only.

As DA(P),digital transport only, to be paired with my DAC/Amp Mojo it is clearly a No Go.
Since I didn`t find yet the right DAP, I keep waiting. No other choice.
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back