New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
Jul 23, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #991 of 1,933

Quote:
Thank you for the respond, I like the built quality of the LCD2.

LCD2 being warm I assume would sound more matched with a solid state amp

Well, that hasn't been the case in my experience.  While the LCD-2 sound very good on the SS Meier Concerto, the best performance I have had has been with transformer-coupled tube amps. I think it's best not to use the LCD-2 with OTL (output transformerless) tube amps, though, and the majority of tube headphone amps are indeed OTL.

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #992 of 1,933
I got the HE-5LE at home yesterday so not too much to say sonically but I can say that if the LCD-2 connectors hang even lower, its going to be a problem for me.  On the HE-5LE I can't look side to side without hitting my shoulders unless I tilt my head back.

Jul 23, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #993 of 1,933

Quote:
I got the HE-5LE at home yesterday so not too much to say sonically but I can say that if the LCD-2 connectors hang even lower, its going to be a problem for me.  On the HE-5LE I can't look side to side without hitting my shoulders unless I tilt my head back.

Well if I'm not mistaken the HE5/LE connectors hang straight down, while the LCD-2 connectors are now angled forward, which would make a big difference as far as hitting your shoulders and bothering you or not.

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #994 of 1,933
I think the one angled LCD-2 was a test thing, not prod.  Those who got them this week... straight | or hard angle / ?

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #995 of 1,933

Quote:
I think the one angled LCD-2 was a test thing, not prod.  Those who got them this week... straight | or hard angle / ?

You're posting in the wrong thread.

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #996 of 1,933
oh, it was intended for this thread, just became a bit off topic, that's all.  now back to the HE-5LE show... 
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #998 of 1,933

Quote:
Posted this in both threads actually.  This one to continue the comment and the LCD-2 thread so I actually get an answer :wink:

Okay, okay... sheesh!  
rolleyes.gif

atsmile.gif

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #1,000 of 1,933
Does the HE5-LE come with the black cable (as seen in review pics) or with the transparent one that came with the HE-5?

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #1,001 of 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle  
" Does the HE5-LE come with the black cable (as seen in review pics) or with the transparent one that came with the HE-5?"

Mine came stock with the black cable. Fang offered the silver HE-5 cable for $25 which I did get. I'm not sure how they're being shipped now.

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #1,002 of 1,933
I'm really digging my HE-5LE's. The Exemplar (ASL) OTL/32 drives the 5LE's fairly well, sweet and liquid. My real surprise is that I purchased a Schiit Audio Asgard. The Asgard drives the 5LE's Really well. So well that I sold my Audio-gd Phoenix, the Asgard sounds much better than the Phoenix driving the 5LE's.

Is it the perfect setup? Of course not, no such animal. Still if you are looking for an affordable amp that does extremely well with the 5LE's I'd recommend that you try an Asgard. It's a screaming good amp for the 5LE's.

I have no idea how the Asgard sounds with any other headphones, just the 5LE's, and I really like the match.

Aug 1, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #1,003 of 1,933

Quote:
I'm really digging my HE-5LE's. The Exemplar (ASL) OTL/32 drives the 5LE's fairly well, sweet and liquid. My real surprise is that I purchased a Schiit Audio Asgard. The Asgard drives the 5LE's Really well. So well that I sold my Audio-gd Phoenix, the Asgard sounds much better than the Phoenix driving the 5LE's.

Is it the perfect setup? Of course not, no such animal. Still if you are looking for an affordable amp that does extremely well with the 5LE's I'd recommend that you try an Asgard. It's a screaming good amp for the 5LE's.

I have no idea how the Asgard sounds with any other headphones, just the 5LE's, and I really like the match.

wow thats good to hear. :D its like youre a salesperson!

Aug 1, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #1,004 of 1,933

wow thats good to hear. :D its like youre a salesperson!

For which, the 5LE's or the Asgard? My Exemplar OTL/32 sounds sweeter than the Asgard, but the Asgard has better dynamic and slam. The Asgard is fun to listen to. So I have the tube amp set up in my office, and the Asgard in the bedroom system. Usually the HE5LE's will normally be kept in the bedroom, and my Jades will be in my office system.

Aug 1, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #1,005 of 1,933
There's nothing wrong with being excited and pleased with the equipment that you have.  That's the whole point of this hobby!

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back