New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
Aug 1, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #1,006 of 1,933
Plus - I get to pocket the change. Replacing a $1200 amp with a $249 amp, not only did i improve the SQ of my bedroom system but my bank balance has increased as well. Win Win :)

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #1,007 of 1,933

Quote:
Plus - I get to pocket the change. Replacing a $1200 amp with a $249 amp, not only did i improve the SQ of my bedroom system but my bank balance has increased as well. Win Win :)

That's what I call a win-win!

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #1,009 of 1,933
While we're discussing budget amp choices for the HE-5 LE, I've discovered that my Meier Headfive desktop SS amp is not a good choice at all.  It sounds a little thin and lacking in the bottom end, and a little blurry as well.  The synergy is just not there.  Someone using a Headfive as their main amp would be likely to give the HE-5 LE a poor rating if they hadn't heard them on the right amp.

The Meier Headfive sounds better with my lowly HD600, or my LCD-2 and LA7000.  But it also had difficulty providing enough current for my old Grado RS-1 before I sold them, and the RS-1 would start to sound thin and bright as the volumes grew higher.  In this price range, my Travagans Red with OPA627 opamps is a better choice for the HE-5 LE (and RS-1).  I'm tempted to re-install the brighter/more spacious AD743 opamps to try with HE-5 LE, but I have it configured this way to use with my HD800 for times when I'm waiting for my ZDT amp to warm up.

The EF5 and Nuforce HDP are a good bit better than the Red for those HE-5 :E owners with a bigger budget (2x the cost of the Meier or Travagans).  I still use the SAC KH1000 amp with the HE-5 LE the most in my bedroom rig, but it's even more expensive and not so much a budget amp anymore.  Interestingly, my ALO Amphora and WA6 still sound great with the HE-5 LE, even though their power is generally considered too low for them (they don't play as loud, but they don't lose their composure as the volume is pushed higher).

I'd be tempted to try the Schiit Asgard with HE-5 LE just out of curiosity.  I'll get to do just that at the Colorado Head-fi meet if I can get Asr to bring his.

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #1,010 of 1,933
It's now a couple of moths I'm using the HE-5LE, and now I can say I'm happy with sound. The first weeks the sound was harsh, bright, compressed and I was wondering if my pair was defective. Different story now :)
I'm using a Audio-GD Roc to drive them, and though I like the signature I'd like to try some tubes.
Which tube amp under $1000 would you suggest?

Aug 3, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #1,011 of 1,933
HeadphoneAddict, how would you compare the HDP (as an amp) with the EF5 for the HE-5/LE?

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #1,012 of 1,933

Quote:
HeadphoneAddict, how would you compare the HDP (as an amp) with the EF5 for the HE-5/LE?

I'd have to listen to them side by side again, and refer to my postings elsewhere when I first compared the two amps with the original HE-5.  I don't have time right now before heading out of town, so I have to speak based on memory.  They perform on a similar level, but the sound is not identical.  I might say the HDP is a little more detailed and spacious, and the EF5 is a little warmer and intimate sounding.  The EF5 might be slightly more powerful as well, and it is slightly better with the HE-6.

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #1,013 of 1,933
I think I'll give on these headphones :frowning2:
1) my amp is probably not the best match, but I can't afford to buy a good tube amp at the moment
2) they're uncomfortable for long sessions: they're too heavy (and I suffer of neck pain), the connectors tend to put on my shoulders, and the headband does not perfectly fit over my head. This is probably due to my small head.
3) my tinnitus got worse during these two months...maybe it's only a coincidence.

The sound is the best I've ever heard in my headphones experience, though.

Aug 10, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #1,014 of 1,933

Quote:
I think I'll give on these headphones :frowning2:
1) my amp is probably not the best match, but I can't afford to buy a good tube amp at the moment
2) they're uncomfortable for long sessions: they're too heavy (and I suffer of neck pain), the connectors tend to put on my shoulders, and the headband does not perfectly fit over my head. This is probably due to my small head.
3) my tinnitus got worse during these two months...maybe it's only a coincidence.

The sound is the best I've ever heard in my headphones experience, though.

That's what I did, but only about four hours after listening to the LE's, so I cannot say by far it was a fair assessment. Sometimes you just know if your going to gel with a headphone or not, whether it's for comfort or preference of sound. I powered them through the EF-5's (Long plate mullard) and they sounded great, but something about the vocals that I found slightly off, even sharp and still noticed some sibilance in some songs, also the clarity was greatly reduced. Compared to my W5000's I recently purchased, the resolution and clarity is on another level, though the low end is not as deep or textured. But the HA-5000 is coming soon!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Either way, I think they are a fantastic headphone, just not my cup of tea. Hope you find another soul-mate that is a little more comfortable.
wink_face.gif

Cheers,

-MikePio.

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #1,015 of 1,933

Quote:

That's what I did, but only about four hours after listening to the LE's, so I cannot say by far it was a fair assessment. Sometimes you just know if your going to gel with a headphone or not, whether it's for comfort or preference of sound. I powered them through the EF-5's (Long plate mullard) and they sounded great, but something about the vocals that I found slightly off, even sharp and still noticed some sibilance in some songs, also the clarity was greatly reduced. Compared to my W5000's I recently purchased, the resolution and clarity is on another level, though the low end is not as deep or textured. But the HA-5000 is coming soon!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Either way, I think they are a fantastic headphone, just not my cup of tea. Hope you find another soul-mate that is a little more comfortable.
wink_face.gif

Cheers,

-MikePio.

I'm glad I'm not alone :)
I'm thinking of going back to the HD650: I know they don't sound as good as the LEs, but they were by far the most comfortable headphones I had, and their warm signature used to work well with my tinnitus

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #1,016 of 1,933

Quote:
I'm glad I'm not alone :)
I'm thinking of going back to the HD650: I know they don't sound as good as the LEs, but they were by far the most comfortable headphones I had, and their warm signature used to work well with my tinnitus

no experience with tinnitus, but one of the most comfy for me were/are k702s.  But yea, right now i might go back to the HD650 too. not because of comfort but because of $$.

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #1,017 of 1,933

Quote:

A matter of opinion as I have always loved the 650's sound and wouldn't part with them for anything I've heard. Just so damn smooth, deep and easy on the ears for long periods...I'm rarely tempted by other headphones anymore. Even if I were to buy more cans I'd still keep them.
Long live the HD650s
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #1,018 of 1,933

Quote:
That's what I did, but only about four hours after listening to the LE's, so I cannot say by far it was a fair assessment. Sometimes you just know if your going to gel with a headphone or not, whether it's for comfort or preference of sound. I powered them through the EF-5's (Long plate mullard) and they sounded great, but something about the vocals that I found slightly off, even sharp and still noticed some sibilance in some songs, also the clarity was greatly reduced. Compared to my W5000's I recently purchased, the resolution and clarity is on another level, though the low end is not as deep or textured.

That is also the reason why I eventually send the HE-5LE back.  The clarity and soundstage focus have just no comparison to DT880.  And the mid frequency texture was too "porous".  I have struggled for a long time due to many great reports in this thread.  Every time I put on LE's again with high hope and wish its SQ will change magically, but it just never happened.  Finally, I decided to trust my own ears and have no regret ever since. 

Aug 12, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #1,019 of 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukja  

"   That is also the reason why I eventually send the HE- 5LE back.  The clarity and soundstage focus have just no comparison to DT880.  And the mid frequency texture was too "porous".  I have struggled for a long time due to many great reports in this thread.  Every time I put on LE's again with high hope and wish its SQ will change magically, but it just never happened.  Finally, I decided to trust my own ears and have no regret ever since.   "

When I first listened to the HE-5LE I thought the highs were smooth and refined but recessed. The 5LE was the first headphone where burn in really had an impact on the way it sounded. After 50 additional hours of burn the highs balanced out and were terrific.

I have to add that connecting the HE-5LE to the back of a speaker amp directly to the terminals really did wonders for it. The dynamics expanded significantly. Any hint of congested mids was immediately gone. Everything becames more controlled. The 5LE is very amp dependent and craves copious amounts of power to feed upon in order to reach it's full potential. Listening to them through the speaker amp convinced me that head amps may make it sound great but run some real juice through those planars and wow they are transformed.

Aug 12, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #1,020 of 1,933

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukja  

"   That is also the reason why I eventually send the HE- 5LE back.  The clarity and soundstage focus have just no comparison to DT880.  And the mid frequency texture was too "porous".  I have struggled for a long time due to many great reports in this thread.  Every time I put on LE's again with high hope and wish its SQ will change magically, but it just never happened.  Finally, I decided to trust my own ears and have no regret ever since.   "

When I first listened to the HE-5LE I thought the highs were smooth and refined but recessed. The 5LE was the first headphone where burn in really had an impact on the way it sounded. After 50 additional hours of burn the highs balanced out and were terrific.

I have to add that connecting the HE-5LE to the back of a speaker amp directly to the terminals really did wonders for it. The dynamics expanded significantly. Any hint of congested mids was immediately gone. Everything becames more controlled. The 5LE is very amp dependent and craves copious amounts of power to feed upon in order to reach it's full potential. Listening to them through the speaker amp convinced me that head amps may make it sound great but run some real juice through those planars and wow they are transformed.

I have no doubt that burn in would help etch out some of the awkwardness in their sonic presentation, after all listening for 4 hours was far from being burned in, but even so, some headphones just sound right even when not fully burned in, and just get better from there. I think burn in would not change their general sound signature, even connecting them directly to the terminals of a speaker amp, I would assume this would bring out there qualities even more, not transform them. I doubt the LE's would ever have the detail of let's say the HD800, W5000's or even the 701's IMO. As a general comparison the LE's destroyed the 701's, but when I put the 701's on it felt like some veil was lifted, even if the other parts of the sound spectrum were suffering. It all comes down to preference at the end of the day, I like a involving yet highly detailed and airy presentation with a resonably good balance, I did not find this in the LE's, the W5000's fit this bill for me exactly, and for me this is probably the end of the road. Though you never know with this hobby lol...
biggrin.gif
Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back