New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
Jul 17, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #977 of 1,933

Quote:
http://www.avguide.com/review/hifiman-he-5le-planar-magnetic-headphones-playback-33
A heads-up, in case folks are looking for more reviews of the HE-5LEs, Chris Martens has a review of the HE-5LEs (used with the EF-5) here: 
http://www.avguide.com/review/hifiman-he-5le-planar-magnetic-headphones-playback-33

What I thought was interesting was in the AVGuide review Chris said,

"Finally, listen closely to the timbres of the backing instruments—especially the piano, and note how pure and harmonically “right” they sound. Some headphones make the fundamentals and harmonics of instruments sound as if they somehow don’t quite belong together, but not so the HE-5LE. It presents instruments with a very desirable kind of “cut-from-whole-cloth” integrity that greatly enhances realism and the listener’s involvement in the music... "

He also talked about the weight and presence of the instruments.  In my review I said something similar,

"the improvements...resulted in a more refined and complete sounding headphone in the end. Since I felt that the HE-5 LE sounded slightly fuller/richer in the mids than the original, this gave me a little better feeling of being in the same room with the recorded piano than with the original HE-5. The different harmonics and keys on the piano seem to have a more cohesive body and point of origin, rather than being slightly nebulous in origin and space."

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #978 of 1,933

HE5-LE or something cheaper to complement HD650?

(originally posted as its own thread)

Here's the deal. I've got two headphone amps and only one pair of headphones between them. As a result, I don't listen as much as a should. 

My re-cabled HD650s spend most of their time downstairs paired with my PS Audio GCHA and Digital Link 3. My Little Dot MKIV and Cambridge Audio DACMagic resides upstairs largely unused for the want of headphones that don't require a trip downstairs. Lazy, I know.

I'm looking to spend $700 tops, but I'd prefer to keep it under $400.

1. The HE5-LEs have been on my watch list since they were announced. The listener impressions are everything I could ask for. But the asking price is off putting, especially given reports here of various QA problems and inconsistent customer service. 
  2. I really enjoy my Grado SR60s at work and am interested in seeing what the 225s or 325s offer. But their reputation for being uncomfortable and fatiguing one-tricky ponies gives me pause.

1. The AKG 701/702 had sat near the top of my list for a while, but they have a reputation for being unforgiving of less-than-stellar source material.

Other contenders include:
  1. Beyers (DT880 or DT990)
  2. Denon (AD2000 or AD5000)

Wildcard:

1. A pair of train-and-plane travel-worthy portables that might be worth listening to at home with a stationary amp (B&W, Audio-Technica, V-Moda)?

Ultimately, I want something that's different* or better than the HD650s and somewhat forgiving of sub-reference-quality recordings. The chosen cans also must work well with at least one of the amps I already have.

My musical preferences are all over the map, but lean toward acoustic rock/alt.country/americana, female singer-songwriters, and all manner of popular music from the 40s, 50s and 60s.

* different in a good way, of course. After all, a pair of $5 portables are different from the HD650s.

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #979 of 1,933

Quote:

Here's the deal. I've got two headphone amps and only one pair of headphones between them. As a result, I don't listen as much as a should. 

My re-cabled HD650s spend most of their time downstairs paired with my PS Audio GCHA and Digital Link 3. My Little Dot MKIV and Cambridge Audio DACMagic resides upstairs largely unused for the want of headphones that don't require a trip downstairs. Lazy, I know.

1. The HE5-LEs have been on my watch list since they were announced. The listener impressions are everything I could ask for. But the asking price is off putting, especially given reports here of various QA problems and inconsistent customer service. 
  2. I really enjoy my Grado SR60s at work and am interested in seeing what the 225s or 325s offer. But their reputation for being uncomfortable and fatiguing one-tricky ponies gives me pause.

1. The AKG 701/702 had sat near the top of my list for a while, but they have a reputation for being unforgiving of less-than-stellar source material.

Wildcard:
  1. A pair of train-and-plane travel-worthy portables that might be worth listening to at home with a stationary amp (B&W, Audio-Technica, V-Moda)?

Ultimately, I want something that's different* or better than the HD650s and somewhat forgiving of sub-reference-quality recordings. The chosen cans also must work well with at least one of the amps I already have.

My musical preferences are all over the map, but lean toward acoustic rock/alt.country/americana, female singer-songwriters, and all manner of popular music from the 40s, 50s and 60s.

* different in a good way, of course. After all, a pair of $5 portables are different from the HD650s.

Hey McPanse,

Having owned the LE's and the 701's and listened to the HD650's for a significant period of time (friend owns it), the most similar to the 650's is no doubt the LE's. The K701's are totally different, but they are my reference phone. I absolutely love them, after hearing all types of headphones, between the 250-800 dollar range, they are still my favourite. So they are different from the 650's but are NOT forgiving with sub-reference quality recordings. Also factoring the price factor, you can't go wrong, 275 dollars new!! I am not sure about your amplifiers, since I have never heard the following headphones on them, but maybe some other members can inform you on the synergy. Both the 701's and LE's benefit from a powerful amplifier, that's another element to consider. It comes down to what you really want, if you want my 2 cents, I would get the 701/702's, since they will provide you with something totally different from your HD650's, and you will still have some pocket change to invest in some other things! Hope this helped! Happy listening,

Cheers,

-Michal

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #980 of 1,933

Quote:

Wildcard:

I would be replacing the HD650 with the HE-5 LE, if it was me.  I think they perform well above the HD600/650, yet with a similar flavor.  The HE-5 LE speed and detail is better, making the Sennheisers sound veiled and sluggish in comparison.  I've always defended the HD600 as being less veiled than the HD650, but the HE-5 LE are a big step ahead of those, while not sounding terribly different in tone from the HD600. (the original HE-5 were closer to being an improved RS-1, leading me to sell the RS-1).

If you want to keep the HD650 and can't afford to add the HE-5 LE, and you want a different kind of sound than the HD650, maybe you could look for a used Grado HF-1 with flats or HF-2 with bowls, because if you like the HD650 I don't think you'll like the SR-325i.  I liked the SR-325i right out of the box, but with burn in their powerful bass lessened a good bit and they seemed to have a brighter overall balance after 200+ hours.  I would take a K702 before I get another 325i, but I prefer the HF-1 and HF-2 or RS-1 over the K701/2.

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #981 of 1,933
Thanks Larry for bringing the HF-2 to my attention. I thought it was a discontinued headphone but it looks like TTVJ still carries them.

I'm of two minds when it comes to this purchase. Part of me just wants a secondary set of cans so I always have a pair within easy reach whether I'm upstairs or down. The other part wants something better than what I already have.

The HF-2 looks like a good way to go if I decide to scratch the "something different" itch; HE5-LE seems the obvious choice for "something better" under $1000.

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #982 of 1,933

Quote:
I would be replacing the HD650 with the HE-5 LE, if it was me.  I think they perform well above the HD600/650, yet with a similar flavor.  The HE-5 LE speed and detail is better, making the Sennheisers sound veiled and sluggish in comparison.  I've always defended the HD600 as being less veiled than the HD650, but the HE-5 LE are a big step ahead of those, while not sounding terribly different in tone from the HD600.

X2 indeed a big step up

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #983 of 1,933
I for one liked the 325is and the HD650- different flavors for different genres (sometime the same genre). I felt the K701 was sharper sounding than the 325is and never could enjoy it fully (good phone in many areas though).

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #984 of 1,933
The HE-5LE is certainly an upgrade over the 701 and the HD650. I also think for under $700 is probably one of the best headphones out there. If you're looking for only one balanced and neutral headphone it would be difficult to argue against them.

But if you want several headphones at once the HD650/K701/HF-2 trio is a fun way to go.

:)

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #985 of 1,933

Quote:
I would be replacing the HD650 with the HE-5 LE, if it was me.  I think they perform well above the HD600/650, yet with a similar flavor.  The HE-5 LE speed and detail is better, making the Sennheisers sound veiled and sluggish in comparison.  I've always defended the HD600 as being less veiled than the HD650, but the HE-5 LE are a big step ahead of those,

I think I'm going to order one. I do miss my original HE-5 which I sold to help finance the T1. I did find the HE-5 a tad cold and brittle.

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #988 of 1,933

Quote:
How does it [HE-5 LE] compare with the LCD2?

I'd say they are comparable but different sounding.  The LCD-2 has a warm and slightly dark sound, with a deep and encompassing soundstage, while the HE-5 LE seem a little more intimate, nimble, delicate and detailed to me.  The HE-6 add a little more bass impact, treble sparkle and air above and beyond both the HE-5 LE and LCD-2 (best driven off my 55 watt Yamaha receiver, then the SAC KH1000 amp or ZDT).

However, I'm having a problem with piano notes via the LCD-2 resonating and reverberating inside my ears (worse with some amps), while the HE-5 LE works well with a wider variety of amps for me.  Previously this only happened with some IEM like Klipsch X10 or Freq Show, and it's likely exacerbated (made worse) by some inner ear damage that I had from antibiotics in 2001 which left me with tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears).  This, along with the massive clamping force of the LCD-2, makes the LCD-2 more fatiguing to use for over 40-60 minutes, while I could listen to the HE-5 LE all day.

I'm 54 hours into burn-in on my LCD-2 and they are improving in this regard, so I have hopes for them becoming more comfortable to listen to over the next 100-200 hours.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #989 of 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict  

" I'd say they are comparable but different sounding.   The LCD-2 has a warm and slightly dark sound, with a deep and encompassing soundstage, while the HE-5 LE seem a little more intimate, nimble, delicate and detailed to me.  The HE-6 add a little more bass impact, treble sparkle and air above and beyond both the HE-5 LE and LCD-2 (best driven off my 55 watt Yamaha receiver, then the SAC KH1000 amp or ZDT).
However, I'm having a problem with piano notes via the LCD-2 resonating and reverberating inside my ears (worse with some amps), while the HE-5 LE works well with a wider variety of amps for me.  Previously this only happened with some IEM like Klipsch X10 or Freq Show, and it's likely exacerbated (made worse) by some inner ear damage that I had from antibiotics in 2001 which left me with tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears).  This, along with the massive clamping force of the LCD-2, makes the LCD-2 more fatiguing to use for over 40-60 minutes, while I could listen to the HE-5 LE all day.
I'm 54 hours into burn-in on my LCD-2 and they are improving in this regard, so I have hopes for them becoming more comfortable to listen to over the next 100-200 hours."

I've gone back and forth with the HE-5LE and the HE-6 with the NAD amp. I feel the because the HE-6's bass is better defined, controlled and textured the impact isn't so much more than the HE-5 as measured in sheer volume but the impact is better. At least to me, the bass of the HE-6 has more of it's own space (better leading edges and faster transitions) where the HE-5LE seems to spread a bit more (slightly more smeared and a bit slower). I just don't hear more bass volume, just better bass so the apparent impact is better. Just my opinion of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back