New Hifiman Flagship (together with Unique Melody): RE1000
Dec 6, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #91 of 138
I'll say this - those who like FutureSonics sound signature will definitely love RE1000. It does have a rumbling bass and a rather musical presentation.

RE1K-08.jpg

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #92 of 138
I'll have impressions later, but for now some pictures!

Well, cell camera pictures, but still!

No carrying case included!

This last picture shows the plastic shealth used inside the shell. You can see it through the nozzle. Not the nicest, but seems to get the job done. That's my early take on the build quality overall. Cable is a bit cheap, some bubbles in the acrylic, things that do not matter truly at all, but show that the finishing isn't high-end.

Early sound impressions are good after some driver break-in. There's plenty of bass and excellent sub-bass. Whether there's too much is up to the listener, but the quantity is robustly elevated and the quality is good. You get that real air-moving bass feel which you don't from closed shell armatures, no matter how many of them are used.

The midrange is good so far. Timbre and naturalness seem good. I need to listen more!

The treble doesn't extend so well past 12khz and there are some mildly sharp spots prior to that--possibly in an attempt to balance the low end, but I wouldn't say the treble balances the bass.

Overall, these are very competent earphones and it's easy to enjoy, particularly if you want a bassy presentation.

These impressions are just my early take, subject to change!

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #94 of 138
  Can I ask what is purpose of that "plastic shealth"?

I see they are using packaging from Hfiiman RE600 and not standard UM box.

I can't be sure, but it looks like it encloses the driver and so simplifies manufacturing, would be my guess.

I'm surprised there was no travel carrying case.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #95 of 138

My first custom set that I'm reviewing.  Sorry for the iPhone-quality picture, I have some on camera that I need to edit but the camera is at home and I'm backed up with finals (oh the stress of getting f-ed over by professors).  Quick impressions, signature ranges from a bassy signature to a v-shaped signature (depending on song).  I personally would classify it as v-shaped.  Great, strong depth and dynamics throughout the bass and good detailing and separation though the treble.  Midrange is a little boring for me personally, but that may partially be a preference thing.  One of the first things I did notice was wide imaging and layering.  It offers a large soundstage, albeit artificially created.  I'll have more in-depth impressions in the coming week(s).  I need to do some things with the NAD HP30 first before I send it back (but of course finals before that, at least the next one won't be a low blow).  

As for accessories, this one did come with a tiny, soft pouch and a round, metal case.  Cable build is what you get from the other HiFiMan models, I really haven't had any issues with their cables yet with my RE-400 or RE-600 (though the adapter for my 600 has gone out once).  We'll see how this one fares, many people have had no luck with their 400 and 600's.  

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #96 of 138
As for accessories, this one did come with a tiny, soft pouch and a round, metal case.

Ha ha, wait, they just left that off mine!?! 

That's kind of hilarious.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #97 of 138
  Ha ha, wait, they just left that off mine!?! 

That's kind of hilarious.

I guess so.  You got fancier boxing than I did though :p  You can always email HiFiMan, they may just send a case your way :wink:  

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #98 of 138
So it is quite a departure from the typical Hifiman sound (neutral, reference) and more of a consumer friendly signature. Interesting as given their inclination towards neutral signature, one would expect the flagship to be targeting a reference type of sound as well. But good to see some variety I guess.

Looking forward to full fledged reviews from all of you guys! :) 

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #99 of 138
So it is quite a departure from the typical Hifiman sound (neutral, reference) and more of a consumer friendly signature. Interesting as given their inclination towards neutral signature, one would expect the flagship to be targeting a reference type of sound as well. But good to see some variety I guess.

Looking forward to full fledged reviews from all of you guys! :) 

I think the RE-600 already started that departure with it's bassy and extremely tamed treble.  But yeah, it is a step away from the neutral signatures we've gotten used to.  

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #100 of 138
So are the after-sales handled by hifiman or UM?

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #101 of 138
So are the after-sales handled by hifiman or UM?

After a discussion with the seller here when I auditioned these I was left with the assumption that the manufacture side of things were UM.
As for warranty/support I have no idea, I would guess HifiMan would be the point of contact then they would sort it out with UM etc pending.

These things are always a bit of a worry, I remember when people had issues with the Angie etc and dealing with AK/JH Audio trying to get issues resolved.

My experience with both Hifiman and UM have been good ones though so I am sure they ill have their bases coverd.

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #102 of 138
I'm guessing Hifiman. Have had zero contact with UM.

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #103 of 138
This is intriguing. More detailed than K10? Nice!!

How would you describe the overall sound signature? And do the holes affect isolation in anyway compared to your K10 or Shure 846?

The holes do not affect sound isolation at all. With a perfect custom fit (impressions done by Brannan at RMAF... Thanks for a job well done, Noble) they are just as isolating as my K10s,but a lot more than my 846s with the Westone Star tips.

The negative about the holes is that some higher frequencies do escape.

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #104 of 138
"... While the bass does hit hard and goes quite low, it seems that it is something I am always aware of. Perhaps it is just too much bass for my tastes but does seem to be the most noticeable characteristic of the RE1000 and does limit my enjoyment for lengthy listening. I prefer a SQ that is more evenly balanced tonally"

Doesn't sound like the improved version of RE272 I was hoping for. Kind of a relief actually.

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #105 of 138
After considerable listening using most of my DAP's, DAC's and Amps with a variety of music genre's, my initial enthusiasm has waned somewhat. While the bass does hit hard and goes quite low, it seems that it is something I am always aware of. Perhaps it is just too much bass for my tastes but does seem to be the most noticeable characteristic of the RE1000 and does limit my enjoyment for lengthy listening. I prefer a SQ that is more evenly balanced tonally.

You might look into the Rhapsodio Solar (5x 5* reviews already). It has a very balanced tonality, with also superb (sub)bass
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll say this - those who like FutureSonics sound signature will definitely love RE1000. It does have a rumbling bass and a rather musical presentation.

RE1K-08.jpg

Rumbling bass and rather musical presentation sounds interesting
rolleyes.gif

Very nice picture btw, they look great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back