New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Jul 27, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #2,416 of 2,616
Hi everyone, I know this DAP is far from being perfect but do you think it's still worth purchasing at $190 new ? I'm on a budget and I need a medium sized DAP with streaming and USB DAC functions enabled, and it looks like the AP200 tick all the boxes eventhough it's a bit buggy. I plan to use it with a pair of NiceHCK HK6 but because of the AP200's 4.8Ω output impedance I fear that it might not pair well :/
What do you think guys ? thanks in advance

I'm wondering the same thing. Was really in interested in the new ap80 but bored of waiting with all the previews and no uodates.

With a 20% sale on the ap200 I'm really tempted. It's a beautiful design amd I would only use it for play back from sd card to wired iems. I'm not interested in amy of the other features.

Do people think it will still be good for this or the lag and bugs still enough of an issie to stay away? I'm using a shanling m0 at the moment but its just too small.

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #2,417 of 2,616
I'm wondering the same thing. Was really in interested in the new ap80 but bored of waiting with all the previews and no uodates.

With a 20% sale on the ap200 I'm really tempted. It's a beautiful design amd I would only use it for play back from sd card to wired iems. I'm not interested in amy of the other features.

Do people think it will still be good for this or the lag and bugs still enough of an issie to stay away? I'm using a shanling m0 at the moment but its just too small.
TL;DR - I have both the M0 and AP200, save your money until the bugs get worked out because the software is holding back the AP200 from being a truely awesome DAP. If it we're 40-50% off then might answer might be different.

So I have both the Shanling M0 and AP200 and my take is that the M0 is an extremely capable and well made/designed device. So much so that I'm waiting to see the newer Shanling players when they come out.
The AP200 is a crapshoot, the dual DAC and audio is really good but the software really makes it a POS. The hiby software is old and I've had to use my Android experience to make the device usable. If you are the type that will put on an album and just listen then it might be worth it for the price however if you are like me and skip songs a lot and or mess with the EQ a lot then skip it. The firmware is still in beta and while I'm sure it will get better with time I cannot recommend the device if you have an M0 already.

I've caught myself several times looking at the Hiby R6 or iBasso DX150 to replace the AP200.

As far as what I did, since the AP200 lacks a decent processor and enough RAM I basically put PowerAMP on the device and used ADB to enable the ability to hide the navigation bar. Unfortunately there are still some kinks but it's worked well enough that I haven't sold the AP200 yet. Lol

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #2,418 of 2,616
Brilliant, thanks for the info. I'll skip it for now then. I was also looking the Hiby R3, so may consider that when they actually come back up for sale for non Kickstarter folks!

TL;DR - I have both the M0 and AP200, save your money until the bugs get worked out because the software is holding back the AP200 from being a truely awesome DAP. If it we're 40-50% off then might answer might be different.

So I have both the Shanling M0 and AP200 and my take is that the M0 is an extremely capable and well made/designed device. So much so that I'm waiting to see the newer Shanling players when they come out.
The AP200 is a crapshoot, the dual DAC and audio is really good but the software really makes it a POS. The hiby software is old and I've had to use my Android experience to make the device usable. If you are the type that will put on an album and just listen then it might be worth it for the price however if you are like me and skip songs a lot and or mess with the EQ a lot then skip it. The firmware is still in beta and while I'm sure it will get better with time I cannot recommend the device if you have an M0 already.

I've caught myself several times looking at the Hiby R6 or iBasso DX150 to replace the AP200.

As far as what I did, since the AP200 lacks a decent processor and enough RAM I basically put PowerAMP on the device and used ADB to enable the ability to hide the navigation bar. Unfortunately there are still some kinks but it's worked well enough that I haven't sold the AP200 yet. Lol

Jul 28, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #2,419 of 2,616
Brilliant, thanks for the info. I'll skip it for now then. I was also looking the Hiby R3, so may consider that when they actually come back up for sale for non Kickstarter folks!
Decision is yours, as much as you need streaming, i use it wired only and love the sound very much, i could afford practically any DAP and i have several good ones but i would no consider for a moment to get rid of AP200.

Jul 28, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #2,420 of 2,616
Ah ok. I interesting! I might keep my eyes open incase a cheap second hand ine pops up then. Thanks for your views.

Decision is yours, as much as you need streaming, i use it wired only and love the sound very much, i could afford practically any DAP and i have several good ones but i would no consider for a moment to get rid of AP200.

Jul 31, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #2,424 of 2,616
I kinda hate myself for buying one despite your warnings guys (well actually I bought it just before seeing @almarti post)

To sum up, ordered a Blue 32Gb for $190 through Hidizs website a few weeks ago, received my unit today and it's broken, like REALLY broken. It shutdowns by itself randomly (it happens more often when battery is <=30% and when I plug in something in the jack or launch a song, for some reason).
When it happens it doesn't shutdown normally meaning there's no "Android shutting down” message, it just instantly blacks-out as if the battery was dead. Booting it up and it blacks-out again.
Also the battery life is abysmal on my unit, it went from 100% to 30% in a little less than 2 hours streaming Tidal (screen being off), so I guess the battery is really at fault.
Besides that, I also found the Wifi signal to be really weak, like I can't connect to my house network unless I am next to the router. Had to share 4G with my phone by tethering and only then I could get fast and stable Wifi on my AP200.
Also I can hear some Wifi interference using my Nicehck HK6, it's quite common with Android DAPs so not a big deal but still something of note (clearly a minor issue compared to broken battery and crappy Wifi LOL).
On a good note, I think the AP200 sounds really good, well it only worked for a few hours but SQ-wise it was clean and powerful with great mids, quite comparable to my SMSL Idea. The screen is also great in my opinion and the unit is overall pretty responsive considering it has a crappy RK3188 and 1Gb of RAM.

Well, in all this mess i'm just glad I ordered using Paypal, I'll defo open a dispute and if I have to send it back to China I'll ask Paypal a shipping refund. No-way I'm going for a replacement, eventhough it sounds good and it's certain my device is defective, the weak Wifi signal kills it for me.

Starting to save for an iBasso DX150 (3 times more expensive than the AP200, f me :triportsad:).

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #2,425 of 2,616
After 4 weeks with HiBy R3 the decision is made - I sell my AP200 that works properly but as said in previous posts it doesn't offer the level of SQ I expect over IEMs and it doesn't pair with Mojo (this is the real deal break)

I am based in Barcelona, Spain.
If someone interested please PM me

Aug 20, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #2,426 of 2,616
Well I've jad a revelation with the ap200 tonight.

When I first got it I was using it with the Campfire Comets and it sounded lifeless and dull, with next to no low end and the EQ would distort and cut out sound... so I was a little dissapointed to put it mildly. Especially as the comets sounded so good when played back through the little M0.

HOWEVER I've just tried some much cheaper hybrids I had kicking about, and good god this thing sounds amazing! Stunning bass with buttery smooth rolling sub bass, and the EQ works perfectly to brighten them up to crystal clear highs. Blown away by the difference in sound.

Just goes to show how much difference the combo of IEMs and the 200 makes. I'm now selling my comets so not only have you saved me about £200 but I've hit audio nirvana with a set of dirt cheap hybrids that the 200 have brought to life with a little EQing.

Awesome work Hidizs, I'm genuinely blown away by this DAP!

And thanks Leo for selling it to me for such a great price.

Aug 20, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #2,427 of 2,616
Also wifi is really strong for me. Works anywhere in the house and even in our massive open plan office. Seems strange that it has so many issues for other people. Not sure if it could be down to the type of router that's causing people so many issues?

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #2,428 of 2,616
Well I've jad a revelation with the ap200 tonight.

When I first got it I was using it with the Campfire Comets and it sounded lifeless and dull, with next to no low end and the EQ would distort and cut out sound... so I was a little dissapointed to put it mildly. Especially as the comets sounded so good when played back through the little M0.

HOWEVER I've just tried some much cheaper hybrids I had kicking about, and good god this thing sounds amazing! Stunning bass with buttery smooth rolling sub bass, and the EQ works perfectly to brighten them up to crystal clear highs. Blown away by the difference in sound.

Just goes to show how much difference the combo of IEMs and the 200 makes. I'm now selling my comets so not only have you saved me about £200 but I've hit audio nirvana with a set of dirt cheap hybrids that the 200 have brought to life with a little EQing.

Awesome work Hidizs, I'm genuinely blown away by this DAP!

And thanks Leo for selling it to me for such a great price.

If it is OK to ask, what hybrids to you use! Your answer would help a lot!

Aug 21, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #2,429 of 2,616
If it is OK to ask, what hybrids to you use! Your answer would help a lot!
They are Kinera bd005s. I'll probably get ripped to peices for saying I love them, but EQ'd to brighten up the top end they are killer for the money if you like v shaped livelyness with a ton of bass. Quite dark without and EQ though.

I don't think you'll get a better budget iem for the money as they are only £25 new from Amazon.

If you like neutral and balanced stay well away from these though. But for EDM musicality and punchyness these kick ass. No driver flex either like on the Orivetti New Primacy hybrids I recently bought and then sold which where 10 times the price, they just didn't fit right for me at all and that flex was horrible.

Aug 22, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #2,430 of 2,616
this feeling when you sold your ap200 and all the troubles and BS from producer does not concern you anymore

priceless :ok_hand::sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back