New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Nov 29, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #1,472 of 2,616
Pretty soon, I'd guess - DAC mode in Android should not be rocket science. However, for me it's a matter of timing - I'm going on long holidays in few weeks and since I have no transports at the moment I need something that just works.

iBasso DX200 and FiiO X7mkii are my first choices, but you might end up liking either of them more than Mojo. Which would be nice since it would mean that you have a single, sleek device rather than a stack :smile_phones:

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #1,473 of 2,616
One seller from Florida, one in China, and one from UK. That one seller from China, you can even choose your own configuration! Delivery Estimated between Sat. Dec. 9 and Fri. Dec. 29. This seller looks like a distributor. They're selling over 200 other items. *sigh* I'm just going to sit and wait like I suppose to.

I think that they made lots of them units, it is more of a logistic issue, they might be prepared to make them and sell them, but actually shipping them in large numbers, each unit to a single person, is quite difficult if they aren't prepared to. Requires different handling than selling pallets of the units. I know this since I have a business and an MBA, it can be tricky for them to actually deliver because it is a unit sales thing, not because they can't make them units.

I am highly aware that tastes might be different, but as George said, I am glad we agree on that. I am listening mostly but not only, classical symphonic music, and for that X5II exhibits much better instruments separation, feeling of the space around the instruments and imaging than AP200. AP200 sounds a little bit congested, squashed. Also it has a nice warmth to the bass, but the sub-bass is somewhat missing. X5II gives for my ears fuller vertical scale of the instruments. But again, with AP200 it is a fun to have Android device with the apps and all the gimmicks.

I like AP200 quite a bit, and find it an excellent DAP at its price, which is about 300$, but X5ii is indeed the better sounding thing if you don't need or don't use android features.

At any rate, I woudln't be sad with AP200 since some people might prefer a more intimate sound :smile_phones:

I actually find it amazing many nights when I want to just relax. Of course, I don't use anything else but music stored on its mSD with its default hiby app - this is what I do with almost every device I have besides iBasso DX200 and X7mkii, which are both extremely versatile, and I use both of them for far more stuff than just play from the mSD card.

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #1,474 of 2,616
All these steps are done.
As website says Tidal can store on internal memory or SD card if device shows to it and AP200 is not doing.
Hiby player is playing without problems FLAC 24/96 files stored on SD card.
AP is showing more limitations increasing my unhappiness with this product.

I'd wait until they sort some of these things out.

I'm sure it is able or it will be able to store on the mSD card, it just might take a while before it is fully able to.

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #1,475 of 2,616
iBasso DX200 and FiiO X7mkii are my first choices, but you might end up liking either of them more than Mojo. Which would be nice since it would mean that you have a single, sleek device rather than a stack :smile_phones:

Risking having to eat up my own words, but I don't think that any current portable DAP is on par with the Mojo. The Mojo is quite competent (PCM only by the way) even compared to much more expensive DACs. I much prefer my home stereo DAC for DSD, however for PCM the margin is much narrower, which is quite 'something'. It just sucks that the Mojo is so fiddly about the sources - and neither I have liked Poly's concept either: it's expensive, the form factor sucks, battery life sucks, the ports are fiddly, and it's not even a standalone solution.

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #1,477 of 2,616
Risking having to eat up my own words, but I don't think that any current portable DAP is on par with the Mojo. The Mojo is quite competent (PCM only by the way) even compared to much more expensive DACs. I much prefer my home stereo DAC for DSD, however for PCM the margin is much narrower, which is quite 'something'. It just sucks that the Mojo is so fiddly about the sources - and neither I have liked Poly's concept either: it's expensive, the form factor sucks, battery life sucks, the ports are fiddly, and it's not even a standalone solution.

I know how good Mojo is actually :darthsmile:

X7mkii and DX200 are both priced higher than Mojo and are DAPs that I conisder End-Game. Same as Opus #2. Opus #2 sounds the closest to Mojo to my ears, and if you have a chance to test it, please do, as it might change the Transport + DAC you're using to a single DAP for you.

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #1,478 of 2,616
Depends what the question actually was...

Maybe I misunderstood the problem that HamsterKing was having..
But don't see how a flash card reader will improve AP200 connectivity (Probably to a computer) when downloading music files to the AP200's internal memory ...

Or are you recommending Not directly downloading music files to the AP200's internal memory from a computer, but going to an SD card, and then with this reader to the AP200 ???

Or are you just recommending loading music Only to the SD Card outside of the Player? Agree this will be a faster way to move music to the SD Card, since the AP200 only transfers at USB 2.0 Speeds, not 3.0 like one would expect from USB type C.

i cant plug it in it just keep disconnect and reconnect cant even use their internal storage... when i connect to the computer is it only my set? or

Nov 30, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #1,479 of 2,616
Left the unit last night fully charged at 100% and switched off wifi and bluetooth. This morning it was already down to 87%. Pretty hungry for a standby.

On another more interesting note: I was playing a bit yesterday with the filters. They have somewhat confusing names, since Sharp and Brickwall are often interchangeable, and Minimum phase and Apodizing as well. Plus an unknown Hybrid filter, which I googled and couldn't find anything about. Incidentally new FiiO X7II uses the same filter names, so it must be some Sabre house terminology. X7II uses ES9028Pro chip as opposed to AP200's double ES9118C chips, but the filter names are identical.
Russian headfier romanrex has a highly informative website with measures and specs of different dacs, amps and headphones. He covered recently all the filters of X7II. Since they are identical with the AP200, I though it might be useful for AP200 owners as well, to compare the impulse behavior of different filter settings:
http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac/fiio-x7-2-apodising-fast.php

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #1,481 of 2,616
Left the unit last night fully charged at 100% and switched off wifi and bluetooth. This morning it was already down to 87%. Pretty hungry for a standby.

Did you disconnect iem/headphone? If not, try to do that, that solved the issue for me

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #1,482 of 2,616

On another more interesting note: I was playing a bit yesterday with the filters. They have somewhat confusing names, since Sharp and Brickwall are often interchangeable, and Minimum phase and Apodizing as well. Plus an unknown Hybrid filter, which I googled and couldn't find anything about. Incidentally new FiiO X7II uses the same filter names, so it must be some Sabre house terminology. X7II uses ES9028Pro chip as opposed to AP200's double ES9118C chips, but the filter names are identical.
Russian headfier romanrex has a highly informative website with measures and specs of different dacs, amps and headphones. He covered recently all the filters of X7II. Since they are identical with the AP200, I though it might be useful for AP200 owners as well, to compare the impulse behavior of different filter settings:

Awesome link!

Yep, the filters are part of Sabre's work!

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #1,484 of 2,616
I'm using ap200 now.

The sound quality is very good but hidizs music application makes me very stress.

Whenever I navigate or choose a music to select, that app shut down automatically.

I uploaded my video about this critical problem.

That is not normal.

You can try to redownload the firmware from HIDIZS, copy it on internal memory, then it will ask to intall. Install it, then see if it still does that.

If that doesn't fix it,

Turn it off -> Press volume down, keep pressing, then press on power, keep like this for ~20 seconds. You'll see the Android recovery mode.

Navigate to Wipe / Reset. Do it. Restart.

This is what might fix it.

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #1,485 of 2,616

I also tested this, if I shut it down, it has abattery loss of 0%, it was 100% last night, and it is 100% in the morning, but mine was shut down.

Me too, if the don't fix Tidal storing offline downloads in mSD card and connectivity with Mojo, I will sell it out

I can't help with connecting it to Mojo, but for storing Tidal files in the mSD, have you tried formating the mSD within it? With some DAPs, this helped with Tidal and offline storage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back