New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Nov 8, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #1,157 of 2,616
Well guys, my experience with the AP200 started out great but has ended horribly, lol. After playing around with it for a bit, it got down to about 30% battery life. But when I attempted to charge the unit, it would not take a charge. I used several different cables and sources to no avail. So, I updated the firmware to 1.8 from the Hidizs site and it still wouldn't charge. I decided to do a factory reset, and when I did that my unit was in Chinese rather than English. I was able to find the setting, get it back to English, only to find that not only will it still not charge, but Google Play/Play Services is no longer on the device. I read a comment on Kickstarter that says firmware 1.9 fixes the Google Play issue, which would be great if my unit wasn't at 9% and was able to charge at all. I messaged Hidizs last night and have yet to hear back from them. I hope today turns out better than yesterday did, lol.

I quoted myself from another thread. Since that post, I was able to update to the 1.9 firmware and Google Play is back, however the unit still won't charge and has since died. I did hear back from Hidizs this morning stating that I needed a 5v2A adapter to charge the device and could I please try that. I told them that unfortunately I had already tried a 5v2A adapter (pic below) that came with my Huawei tablet with no success. I'm just waiting to hear from them about what the next step is.

*EDIT* I just heard from them again saying they have transferred the issue to one of their engineers who will get back to me soon.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #1,158 of 2,616
I quoted myself from another thread. Since that post, I was able to update to the 1.9 firmware and Google Play is back, however the unit still won't charge and has since died. I did hear back from Hidizs this morning stating that I needed a 5v2A adapter to charge the device and could I please try that. I told them that unfortunately I had already tried a 5v2A adapter (pic below) that came with my Huawei tablet with no success. I'm just waiting to hear from them about what the next step is.

*EDIT* I just heard from them again saying they have transferred the issue to one of their engineers who will get back to me soon.

Glad to see that they are working with you in a timely manner and hope you get resolution quickly. +1 for Hidiz

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #1,159 of 2,616
Updated to 0.1.9beta. Google Play is back as well as Play services. Good. Made one trick and noticed the following: after updating from 0.1.8beta that didn't have Google Play my new FW had some hard times on launching Google play services. So, I've made a factory reset... To my surprise seems that my digitizer calibration became good now. It was hard to press some buttons on the right before. Now it seems to be working ok.

Nov 9, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #1,160 of 2,616
So I have spent a whole battery playing with the AP200 today. I started with a factory wipe/ reset and its most possibly a placebo effect, but I found overall the sound was improved a little. I tested Apple Music and it worked well, even in offline mode. I will however say in Android Mode, the device is rather slow and has a delay when doing anything, either RAM or SoC issue. Pure Mode works fine with the odd HibyMusic dropping out and restarting itself.

May need a burn in (if it has capacitors?) to sound better.
Not sure, maybe... I hope so.

Any bigger on-ear/over-ear headphones to check with? Output impedance was claimed as 4,8 Ohms, which could be an issue with many IEMs.
I tried my old Sennheiser HD25s rated at 70Ω - For some reason sound tiny and crappy. Not too sure why, maybe they have die I haven't used them for a while.

Maybe there's a low gain/normal/high gain setting to help.
It has a High/Low gain option. Tried both, I found low gain then pumping the volume sounded a little better, but I'm a little confused how that works.

These are my current issues...

1) Can’t use the side buttons to adjust the volume when screen is off. Need to activate screen then volume works.

2) Can’t workout how to set it to “Line Out” mode.

3) I encountered some slight earthing/ digital (like a hard drive) type noise issue when no sound was playing and in Android mode only.

4) sometimes having issues with Play Store dropping account authentication and requiring a reboot to get working again.

5) The keyboard isn't very accurate while typing, not sure if its the OS issue, or a touch screen calibration issue.

6) Battery from fully charged drops pretty fast.

7) Can't find location of a user manual.

8) Some missing features from store HibyMusic. Hibylink, ReplayGain, Hide Lyrics.

Nov 9, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #1,161 of 2,616
So I have spent a whole battery playing with the AP200 today. I started with a factory wipe/ reset and its most possibly a placebo effect, but I found overall the sound was improved a little. I tested Apple Music and it worked well, even in offline mode. I will however say in Android Mode, the device is rather slow and has a delay when doing anything, either RAM or SoC issue. Pure Mode works fine with the odd HibyMusic dropping out and restarting itself.

I tried my old Sennheiser HD25s rated at 70Ω - For some reason sound tiny and crappy. Not too sure why, maybe they have die I haven't used them for a while.

It has a High/Low gain option. Tried both, I found low gain then pumping the volume sounded a little better, but I'm a little confused how that works.

1) Can’t use the side buttons to adjust the volume when screen is off. Need to activate screen then volume works.

3) I encountered some slight earthing/ digital (like a hard drive) type noise issue when no sound was playing and in Android mode only.

4) sometimes having issues with Play Store dropping account authentication and requiring a reboot to get working again.

5) The keyboard isn't very accurate while typing, not sure if its the OS issue, or a touch screen calibration issue.

8) Some missing features from store HibyMusic. Hibylink, ReplayGain, Hide Lyrics.

Thats a lot of stuff to process. I hope you also sent this to hidiz so they can fix it. Considering the firmware is beta, it's far from stable. Hopefully they can get to those points before a majority of people get their units.

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #1,164 of 2,616
I hope you also sent this to hidiz so they can fix it
I have sent them an email with all all the above points. Fingers crossed.

Reading what Ive read here, I'm not looking forward to receiving mine to be quite honest
Once a few tweaks and kinks are fixed in the software, it will be a great DAP for its price.

Thanks a lot for your detailed report. Did you try switching wifi, how is the battery life compared between wifi on/off?
I didn’t turn wifi off and probably should have tested that... from what I could see, it dropped really quickly from 100% to 85% in about 10+- minutes, then settled fine till about 30%, then dropped quickly again.

Saying that, I was having a good play with it, installing applications, listen to music and at lot of screen time I guess. If I had turned it on, plugged in headphones hit shuffle and let it go without playing out with it, I would say it would last a lot longer.

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #1,165 of 2,616
I have sent them an email with all all the above points. Fingers crossed.

Once a few tweaks and kinks are fixed in the software, it will be a great DAP for its price.

I didn’t turn wifi off and probably should have tested that... from what I could see, it dropped really quickly from 100% to 85% in about 10+- minutes, then settled fine till about 30%, then dropped quickly again.

Saying that, I was having a good play with it, installing applications, listen to music and at lot of screen time I guess. If I had turned it on, plugged in headphones hit shuffle and let it go without playing out with it, I would say it would last a lot longer.

They're pretty responsive so it should work out soon. I'm excited to experience the dap, had a few experiences with beta testing so things like that don't turn me off.

In my experience with Android, wifi/Bluetooth is a power hog, turning them off increases battery life by a wide margin. If it's still draining fast/relatively fast, there could be a rogue/persistent app that wont stop when not needed. Manually shutting it down could help (settings, apps, running tab) to check whats eating your ram and processor power, you can force stop them there too.

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #1,166 of 2,616

1. Yep, the same issues with 0.1.9. It was ok in previous FW
2. Low|High gain should do. Set it to LOW to have lineout. You know that LO mode is kind of output set to a certain level with no volume control.... I don't really treat it as an issue cause many music equipment have different outputs with different levels (-10dB, +4dB) and it depends where the device would be connected to...
3. I would check as well...
4. I had it once right after the update. No problems since than.
5. Hard reset helped me... Have anything changed when you've reset AP200?
6. Don't have this issue. Playing for 15 mins already and battery stays at 100%. But I had the same behavior right after I've received it. Battery came to normal after several cycles
7. No user manual.
8. Yep.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #1,167 of 2,616
2. Low|High gain should do.
5. Hard reset helped me... Have anything changed when you've reset AP200?
6. Don't have this issue. Playing for 15 mins already and battery stays at 100%. But I had the same behavior right after I've received it. Battery came to normal after several cycles

2. That’s what I have been doing, so I’ll keep doing it, thank you. Would be nice if it was documented or labelled as such.
5. It maybe a little better and I just have fat fingers, but still not the greatest.
6. Fair call, I’ll give it a few cycles and see how it goes.

Nov 9, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #1,169 of 2,616
Definitely not turned off by it... It’s a great little DAP and the more feedback we give to Hidizs, the better for everyone.

I really can't wait for mine, Hidiz please hurry up :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back