New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Oct 14, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #1,021 of 2,616
Agree this is not entry level in sound or options

@Lcdxiii would be making a good purchase. My final review will be soon.

And Kervsky....

Nice job on paying back the kindness. Totally a stand up move. Bravo Bruh!

He deserves it, though he was eyeing an onkyo, it's was too pricy here. So I decided to get him this instead, I'm hoping he'll like it.

Definitely looking forward to your review, and thanks for your/every reviewers efforts in giving us information about the ap200.

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #1,022 of 2,616
The back design should really depend on your taste, one major advantage for me of a wood back is it wont shatter like tempered glass in case of accidents but wood may absorb water and oils, the decision there is really up to you.

As for recommendation, I don't think this is considered entry level (more like middle, I could be mistaken) but It'll get good music to your ears, it's versatile (how many DAPs can one name within this price range that has good chips and android to boot) and very affordable (for the 32gb version at least, how much is the 128Gb?) enough that I got two (32gb for me, and 64gb for a friend who's helped me a lot when I was in the dumps) - I figured it'll be better than most entry DAPs and still provide access to spotify.

Personally I don't recommend wood as a DAP material. Plenty of Ecbobox Explorer's were delivered with and / or developed cracks in the wood. Hidizs may do a much better job with the wood, but it isn't really the most durable material, and if it's in a case you won't even see it anyway, and looks are the main benefit. This player is looking what the Explorer was promised to be and should have been, but never was. And it's retail price is half of the Explorer. This looks like a winner.

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #1,023 of 2,616
Thanks for all your responses. I've been lurking for some time reading and searching. I am new to this community who just love to enjoy music and I really don't wanna be impulsive but this DAP really caught my attention.

And i really love to get a dedicated music player. Will be pairing this up with my current Tennmak Trio though.

I am leaning towards the rosewood back panel with 128gb storage (Classy).

Currently I was quoted with this price ranges for pre-ordering by batch from a trusted retailer here in PH:
  • 32gb PHP12,999.00 = $254.14
  • 64gb PHP15,999.00 = $312.79
  • 128gb PHP17,999.00 = $351.89

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #1,025 of 2,616
Thanks for all your responses. I've been lurking for some time reading and searching. I am new to this community who just love to enjoy music and I really don't wanna be impulsive but this DAP really caught my attention.

And i really love to get a dedicated music player. Will be pairing this up with my current Tennmak Trio though.

Currently I was quoted with this price ranges for pre-ordering by batch from a trusted retailer here in PH:

I don't think you'd have a problem with the wood since its just the back panel. Unlike the echobox which was the actual housing for the dap. I agree it looks classy, its also my choice for the 64gb i ordered for a friend. The 32gb, i chose blue.

Considering most of the feedback here, were in for a good midfi dap experience at a way affordable price than the fiio x5 mk3.

Edit: i also have the Tennmak Trio as my daily driver iem, it's good once broken in. I usually keep the balanced filter on.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #1,026 of 2,616
Finally done back reading from page 1. I am new to the DAP community and I am leaning more towards this unit but torn whether to get the SS 128gb Carbon Fiber or the Rosewood back plate.

Will you guys Rec'd this unit for an entry level or as a starter kit for a newbie like me? I am on a verge of pre-ordering this unit here in our country in PH and will be able to get it within a week.

@Hawaiibadboy as always great vids. Keep it up sir.

Thanks in advance.

The back design should really depend on your taste, one major advantage for me of a wood back is it wont shatter like tempered glass in case of accidents but wood may absorb water and oils, the decision there is really up to you.

As for recommendation, I don't think this is considered entry level (more like middle, I could be mistaken) but It'll get good music to your ears, it's versatile (how many DAPs can one name within this price range that has good chips and android to boot) and very affordable (for the 32gb version at least, how much is the 128Gb?) enough that I got two (32gb for me, and 64gb for a friend who's helped me a lot when I was in the dumps) - I figured it'll be better than most entry DAPs and still provide access to spotify.

I think that AP200 is somewhere above the entry level, like midrange level.

Hm... You can always buy a 256GB mSD card :dt880smile:

I don't think you'd have a problem with the wood since its just the back panel. Unlike the echobox which was the actual housing for the dap. I agree it looks classy, its also my choice for the 64gb i ordered for a friend. The 32gb, i chose blue.

Considering most of the feedback here, were in for a good midfi dap experience at a way affordable price than the fiio x5 mk3.

Edit: i also have the Tennmak Trio as my daily driver iem, it's good once broken in. I usually keep the balanced filter on.

The sound is quite different between X50-3 and AP200. AP200 provides more energy up top, where X5-3 is extremely smooth and laid back. I like AP200 quite a lot actually, it is a very solid DAP!

Oct 14, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #1,027 of 2,616
I think that AP200 is somewhere above the entry level, like midrange level.

Hm... You can always buy a 256GB mSD card :dt880smile:

The sound is quite different between X50-3 and AP200. AP200 provides more energy up top, where X5-3 is extremely smooth and laid back. I like AP200 quite a lot actually, it is a very solid DAP!

it's around $146 USD for a 256gb msd here, it's hard to trust cheaper ones as they're probably fake :D

But yeah, I've heard from some of the people who sold their fiio x5 mkiii that the music is smooth and laid back but it's soundstage/layering feels constrained, which led them to sell their units. I was tempted to pick one up but I've been eyeing the AP200 for a long time, the only thing that's 'less' on the ap200 is the lack of balanced output and that there's only 1 card expansion slot. But since I'm avoiding the balanced music poison, having no balanced is fine and 32gb internal (for spotify downloaded music) is good enough, leaving the 1 expansion slot with 128gb as alright for flac/dsd.

Overall, your feedback and that of @Hawaiibadboy helped shape my decision to give this a shot as it's potential seems pretty good as my replacement outdoor daily driver (I currently use a sony A35 for outdoors/travel and a zx2 for home use)

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #1,030 of 2,616
it's around $146 USD for a 256gb msd here, it's hard to trust cheaper ones as they're probably fake :D

But yeah, I've heard from some of the people who sold their fiio x5 mkiii that the music is smooth and laid back but it's soundstage/layering feels constrained, which led them to sell their units. I was tempted to pick one up but I've been eyeing the AP200 for a long time, the only thing that's 'less' on the ap200 is the lack of balanced output and that there's only 1 card expansion slot. But since I'm avoiding the balanced music poison, having no balanced is fine and 32gb internal (for spotify downloaded music) is good enough, leaving the 1 expansion slot with 128gb as alright for flac/dsd.

Overall, your feedback and that of @Hawaiibadboy helped shape my decision to give this a shot as it's potential seems pretty good as my replacement outdoor daily driver (I currently use a sony A35 for outdoors/travel and a zx2 for home use)

Considering what you're coming from, I have a feeling that you might feel compelled to even use it inside sometimes! The sound is really nice on AP200, and so are the controls. I wish the day would have more hours so I could finish and post my in-depth review faster! :dt880smile:

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #1,031 of 2,616
Considering what you're coming from, I have a feeling that you might feel compelled to even use it inside sometimes! The sound is really nice on AP200, and so are the controls. I wish the day would have more hours so I could finish and post my in-depth review faster! :dt880smile:

That may be the case of me eventually using it indoors too, but my Sony heart would bleed if I neglect my zx2, all gadgets need loving from time to time :D
I can't wait for the reviews, I'm very hopeful for good solid reviews on this DAP with the stable firmware..

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #1,033 of 2,616
Stable FW is still ahead. It is perfectly usable now but needs some polishing about different small things. Also waiting for the external DAC function...

This is whyI didn't comment on the firmware so much yet. It is almost here, like we can almost touch it, but still wasn't released, so I am holding a bit for the final version.

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #1,034 of 2,616
I await the arrival of this dap and hope as well as a great sq, it will have a better and faster UI than the Fiio X5iii which I think is sluggish and buggy,
how is the speed of the UI knowing they use an identical processor and 1G of ram?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back