New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Sep 21, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #961 of 2,616
When playing a video, is there a way to turn it 90° so that, in landscape, have more benefit of the screen dimension ? Does it depend of the video software used or is it definitively impossible on AP200 ?

Rotation is possible in almost every single app with some tweaks, that is not an issue.

I am looing forward to receive the same firmware @Hawaiibadboy is using because I am still haven't updated it and this is why my input might be different about the video playback.

But, as pointed above, don't bother about any of our conversations, the sound is awesome and AP200 is a great DAP for music and for streaming as well :darthsmile:

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #962 of 2,616
I have done these comparisons in the past, both with N3 and M2s. It's hard to do a true a/b because in one case you have a smartphone source connected to wireless headphones supporting aptX codec and even though digital stream has less compression, your sound quality depends on lo-fi BT decoder/dac built into your headphones. Versus, having N3/M2s paired wireless with your smartphone source, and even with a slightly inferior wireless digital stream, you have a higher quality decoding of audio signal and your headphone connected wired can sound even better. And, you have to use wireless headphones that allow wired connection for a true a/b comparison. Too many variables for an accurate comparison.

I usually use stream to a $15 Mpow Bluetooth receiver connected to my earphones (usually the iSine 10) while i at the gym or around the house (making breakfast and stuff).

I tried the streaming to the Shanling M1/M2s and could tell the difference.
I've listened to a lot of aptX and SBC, and I'd be very surprised if most people would be able to tell the difference on good source material. From Hydrogen Audio, this cherry-picked quote on SBC: "SBC can use up to 372 kbps if you are lucky.
So if you don't want to have lossy to lossy recompression you will have to use FLAC or not Bluetooth. AptX will recompress too." From WikiPedia, aptX has a bitrate of 384 kbps. I've done volume matched comparisons of aptX and well-implemented SBC, and I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between them. The limitation in most bluetooth chains is the DAC and amplifier built into the headphones, not the codec used. By using wired headphones with the M2s, you avoid the amp and DAC problem. I would challenge anyone to do volume matched comparisons of aptX and SBC, if you can consistently hear the difference I'd love to know your methods and give you a high five for having amazing ears. In double-blind ABX tests people have struggled to identify CD versus 320kbps mp3, this is an even smaller difference. I don't know if aptX-HD sounds better than SBC, as I haven't checked it out, but all of these solutions are lossy. There is apparently an aptX lossless codec, but I've never seen it on a device.

Long story short: well-implemented SBC isn't much different sounding than aptX. Chances are differences you are hearing are due to amplification and DAC differences, not the codec. People shouldn't be afraid to use HiBy connect with the M2s, it works and sounds great.

I'm not one of those who claims to hear a difference netween FLAC and a good quality MP3. If fact I don't believe most people can tell the difference, even if they swear they can. I think is usually expectation bias.

I'm running a wired headphone from the M1/M2s and immediately noticed a lack in dynamic range compared the Mpow BT receiver (model: MBR1) I am using. I new it was SBC going into it and thought, eh maybe the difference isn't really noticeable, but my ears didn't agree. I'm not saying the difference is HUGE or that it's not listenable (well, for some it might be), but i do hear it and I'm not willing to relcae my Mpow with the Shanling because of it.

I don't know if it the SBC the implementation or if the $15 Mpow receiver just sounds better. But to me the M1/M2s in receive mode is downgrade, it a great little DAP, just not my best option to stream Spotify from my phone. I'm letting other know so they are not disappointed. If it sounds fine to you, great... enjoy.

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #963 of 2,616
I usually use stream to a $15 Mpow Bluetooth receiver connected to my earphones (usually the iSine 10) while i at the gym or around the house (making breakfast and stuff).

I tried the streaming to the Shanling M1/M2s and could tell the difference.

I'm not one of those who claims to hear a difference netween FLAC and a good quality MP3. If fact I don't believe most people can tell the difference, even if they swear they can. I think is usually expectation bias.

I'm running a wired headphone from the M1/M2s and immediately noticed a lack in dynamic range compared the Mpow BT receiver (model: MBR1) I am using. I new it was SBC going into it and thought, eh maybe the difference isn't really noticeable, but my ears didn't agree. I'm not saying the difference is HUGE or that it's not listenable (well, for some it might be), but i do hear it and I'm not willing to relcae my Mpow with the Shanling because of it.

I don't know if it the SBC the implementation or if the $15 Mpow receiver just sounds better. But to me the M1/M2s in receive mode is downgrade, it a great little DAP, just not my best option to stream Spotify from my phone. I'm letting other know so they are not disappointed. If it sounds fine to you, great... enjoy.

It really depends on the music, Mp3 algorithms downgrades metal, especially complex metal with tens of layers and lots of cymbals. Not so much for music that was especially well recorded, like Classical, or music that is pop or doesn't have tons of information to begin with.

About your usage scenario... You're using a 400$ IEM with a 15$ BT receiver. I haven't heard it, so I cannot tell if it sounds good or not, but I'd probably connect iSine10 to something a tad stronger, just my appraoch to things. If you're entirerly content with the sound you're getting, all the better though.

Also, I can absolutely hear the differences with APT-X or without when using Sennheiser Momentum IEBT.

Sep 21, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #964 of 2,616
I have 2 walls and 30-50ft from my table in the vid to the router.
Never had a drop out and streaming and videos are fine.

I think our devices are the same but our internet is not (obviously)

Me and other people are telling you that Youtube and other videos stutter even when fully loaded. It means that wi-fi doesn't have anything to do with that. If the video is already loaded - no wi-fi is used but it still cannot be played smooth.

Sep 21, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #965 of 2,616
Me and other people are telling you that Youtube and other videos stutter even when fully loaded. It means that wi-fi doesn't have anything to do with that. If the video is already loaded - no wi-fi is used but it still cannot be played smooth.

Yep, this is my experience as well, this is why I wonder if the firmware @Hawaiibadboy has right now is different. I have the firmware it came with, absolutely no updates, so it could be the reason why.

@Hidizs Hk @Hidizsofficial Can you kindly send me a link to update the firmware as well? :darthsmile:

Anyways, the system doesn't stutter, music doesn't stutter, everything works exactly as it should for a high quality DAP

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #966 of 2,616

giphy.gif

10004043.jpg

I don't build these.
I am displaying my device not having issues. don't like my reality? Sorry.
Talk to Hidizs. Stop quoting me because my experience is more awesome than yours.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #967 of 2,616
It really depends on the music, Mp3 algorithms downgrades metal, especially complex metal with tens of layers and lots of cymbals. Not so much for music that was especially well recorded, like Classical, or music that is pop or doesn't have tons of information to begin with.

About your usage scenario... You're using a 400$ IEM with a 15$ BT receiver. I haven't heard it, so I cannot tell if it sounds good or not, but I'd probably connect iSine10 to something a tad stronger, just my appraoch to things. If you're entirerly content with the sound you're getting, all the better though.

Also, I can absolutely hear the differences with APT-X or without when using Sennheiser Momentum IEBT.

I use the Mpow BT receiver because it is more convenient when at the gym or when out and about and it sounds pretty good, good enough what I don't really notice the difference in those scenarios.

If considered the A&K XB10, but it was quite pricey at the time. Even now it around $130 and though better, still not sure it's worth it for my use case. Also it actually puts out a decent amount of power, it can drive headphones better than most cellphones (excluding thing like the Axon7 and LG V30/V30 of course).

When at home I can use my NFB-11, LG V30, Axon 7 or my Shanling M1 & M2s.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #968 of 2,616

As a drummer, who likes metal and hard rock, I definitely agree here... cymbals and especially hi-hats sound washy on MP3, even the crisp sound of the snare drum drops in detail. Also, if the guitar is recorded even slightly out of phase, mp3 compression will stuff that too.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #970 of 2,616
As a drummer, who likes metal and hard rock, I definitely agree here... cymbals and especially hi-hats sound washy on MP3, even the crisp sound of the snare drum drops in detail. Also, if the guitar is recorded even slightly out of phase, mp3 compression will stuff that too.

If I use EX1000 IEM and a track from Dark Side of the Moon I can tell DSD from 44.1- 192 <<<<cannot tell from red book to 24/192 and can tell mp3

So

1. mp3

2. Red book 44.1 to 24/192 Hi Res

3.DSD

I can hear the diff between DSD and Mp3 on that album. I have done this with friends. It is clear to me.

I cannot hear anything between 44.1 and 24/192. All flac in that range are the same to me though a vinyl rip tends to have vinyl sounds from dust etc so i can pick it out but not the sample rate.

Back to the AP200

20170912_235349[1].jpg

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #971 of 2,616

giphy.gif

10004043.jpg

I don't build these.
I am displaying my device not having issues. don't like my reality? Sorry.
Talk to Hidizs. Stop quoting me because my experience is more awesome than yours.

We don't disagree with you and your reality :darthsmile:

It is clear that on your unit this works and works more than fine, that cannot be contested in any way, what I think is that it will work on all units the same after we all update it to the same firmware :smile_phones:

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #973 of 2,616
Why does only one person have the updated firmware?
I have the file, I haven't installed. George doesn't have it (easy enough to fix by asking Hidizs). Hawaiibadboy, and the other primary person in the conversation have it. That's all I know.

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #974 of 2,616
Posted by Hidizs (Creator)
Dear Backers

In past few weeks, we have been busy with prepare all the materials for mass production; It took a little longer than we thought, as many imported components need some lead time for them to arrive,

And finally we had everything ready for mass production, we will start the SMT for the PCB board assembling next week, and after 100% test every PCB board, we will start assembling the final product of AP200. We will post more pictures of manufacture process next week. We are almost there!

Warmly

Hidizs team

Users who are viewing this thread

Back