New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Sep 20, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #950 of 2,616
Hello again!

For those who has asked - this device isn't capable of Youtube videos - too slow to play it smoothly. But the rest of streaming apps like Tunein are working ok. Although, it is not my style - I prefer the main purpose of this device - pure music mode.

It's not the device it's your wifi. No stuttering or any pausing on this device.
I would not use to watch video but your comment was incorrect.

I prefer the screen on AP200 which has slightly better specs to the M2S and looks better in hand as well.

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #951 of 2,616

It's not the device it's your wifi. No stuttering or any pausing on this device.

I prefer the screen on AP200 which has slightly better specs to the M2S and looks better in hand as well.

Ok, I've checked again. My unit cannot play any video without stuttering even at 360p. Video downloading progress is way ahead but the picture is not smooth. So, we have different experience.

Sep 21, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #952 of 2,616

I don't care about video on a DAP ....but....

I guess you meant insufficient, not optimal, or something else?

I don't rec watching vids on this, having said that, it's not a no go by any means. If i had to catch a sports show or something on the net in a pinch with no other options, if this was all I had with me and I had a wifi connection. i would be fine :wink:

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #953 of 2,616
As has been discussed before, streaming BT to the M2s is not a very good option as the DAP can only receive in SBC not aptX and will likely sounds worse than straight from the device your streaming from.

Though I'm not sure why the OP would even mention streaming to the M2s as he stated he didn't have a smartphone.

If he wants some extra multimedia functionality the AP200 seems to be the only real options between the two.
I've listened to a lot of aptX and SBC, and I'd be very surprised if most people would be able to tell the difference on good source material. From Hydrogen Audio, this cherry-picked quote on SBC: "SBC can use up to 372 kbps if you are lucky.
So if you don't want to have lossy to lossy recompression you will have to use FLAC or not Bluetooth. AptX will recompress too." From WikiPedia, aptX has a bitrate of 384 kbps. I've done volume matched comparisons of aptX and well-implemented SBC, and I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between them. The limitation in most bluetooth chains is the DAC and amplifier built into the headphones, not the codec used. By using wired headphones with the M2s, you avoid the amp and DAC problem. I would challenge anyone to do volume matched comparisons of aptX and SBC, if you can consistently hear the difference I'd love to know your methods and give you a high five for having amazing ears. In double-blind ABX tests people have struggled to identify CD versus 320kbps mp3, this is an even smaller difference. I don't know if aptX-HD sounds better than SBC, as I haven't checked it out, but all of these solutions are lossy. There is apparently an aptX lossless codec, but I've never seen it on a device.

Long story short: well-implemented SBC isn't much different sounding than aptX. Chances are differences you are hearing are due to amplification and DAC differences, not the codec. People shouldn't be afraid to use HiBy connect with the M2s, it works and sounds great.

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #954 of 2,616

I've had pretty bad WiFi problems with my unit on excellent WiFi connections. I think they have some implementation to smooth out. I still need to upgrade to the new firmware. I'm hoping that it fixes some WiFi issues. My unit will not recognise my home WiFi and constantly drops on my work WiFi. If IryxBro is having problems with WiFi, he's not alone.

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #955 of 2,616

I tried watching videos on AP200 and I get serious stutter, regardless of whether the videos are from internet, youtube, or mSD card, I tried VLC and youtube, everything stuttered when it came to videos. The system is silky smooth though, so only my video watching experience was like this.

Ok, I've checked again. My unit cannot play any video without stuttering even at 360p. Video downloading progress is way ahead but the picture is not smooth. So, we have different experience.

I wonder if the latest firmware optimized video watching, since I haven't received it.

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #956 of 2,616
I've had pretty bad WiFi problems with my unit on excellent WiFi connections. I think they have some implementation to smooth out. I still need to upgrade to the new firmware. I'm hoping that it fixes some WiFi issues. My unit will not recognise my home WiFi and constantly drops on my work WiFi. If IryxBro is having problems with WiFi, he's not alone.

I have 2 walls and 30-50ft from my table in the vid to the router.
Never had a drop out and streaming and videos are fine.

I think our devices are the same but our internet is not (obviously)

I am getting well above advised speeds for standard and mid fi definition on the AP200
https://www.highspeedinternet.com/resources/how-much-speed-do-i-need-to-watch-netflix-and-hulu/

YMMV <<<<<was invented for a scenario just like this

IMGP1833.JPG

If you are a backer reading this but not a Head-Fi member, take solace in the fact that the dispute is over WiFi. The sound of the device is excellent. it is my go to device right now. Fast start, wide spacious sound with little signs of a house sound or sig.

Nice device to say the least.

Videos?

Use your phone if that's your thing.
If you use this, make sure wifi is reasonably strong :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #957 of 2,616
When playing a video, is there a way to turn it 90° so that, in landscape, have more benefit of the screen dimension ? Does it depend of the video software used or is it definitively impossible on AP200 ?

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #959 of 2,616
When playing a video, is there a way to turn it 90° so that, in landscape, have more benefit of the screen dimension ? Does it depend of the video software used or is it definitively impossible on AP200 ?
There is no gyroscope in the AP200, so rotation won't happen automatically (as far as I know). In the past I've had Youtube switch automatically when you click for full screen. I don't know what Netflix and other video services will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back