New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Aug 8, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #648 of 2,616
The sound is not as smooth as I described. With my Ex1000 it is very laden with detail and fine treble.
The beta firmware i am on has issues

I hope to see your review on Youtube as soon as possible because in the next days I will try the FiiO X5 iii gen and I still have my mind on the AP200, very curious about its audio quality compared to X5iii.
Thanks for your impression :wink:

Aug 8, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #650 of 2,616
Hi there, I kinda need a lil expert advice.

If I use poweramp on Ap200, does it essentially render the dac useless? Because the default EQ in poweramp is "flat". Does the software EQ work against the sabre chips onboard or are they 2 seperate concepts altogether?

Aug 8, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #651 of 2,616
Does the ap200 get warm when just playing? Is this an android issue or just hardware? Been using a fiio x5III for the first time in anger today and a little surprised by how warm it gets. Also if someone could do a physical size comparison between the x5III and the hidiz that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #652 of 2,616
I thought that was a mandatory feature for a modern Android DAP:)

You'd be amazed by how very few DAPs have this feature, and PowerAMP, VLC and a few others don't do this either. If the default app doesn't do it, you're quite out of luck in general...

Nice, Nice! Mine are still in development! Argh, it takes a while to properly do them photos!

(Just copying and cropping actually, but still takes a while...)

The sound is not as smooth as I described. With my Ex1000 it is very laden with detail and fine treble.
The beta firmware i am on has issues

And I just wanted to ask you how's the firmware working out for you. I also met a few... Glitches rather than issues. Nothing severe (Wohoo), and I told Hidizs about them, the answer was that they are working on fixing all of the issues.

Issues with Hiby are to be reported to Hidizs or to Hibi team? @Joe Bloggs , in this case, Hiby is the developer of the app?

Hi there, I kinda need a lil expert advice.

If I use poweramp on Ap200, does it essentially render the dac useless? Because the default EQ in poweramp is "flat". Does the software EQ work against the sabre chips onboard or are they 2 seperate concepts altogether?

Totally separate things, the DAC should work its magic just fine with PowerAMP, if I'm not mistaken. So you shouldn't have to worry about using third party apps, especially if you're using redbook FLAC.

The buttons work with PowerAMP when it is installed as well, and they are defaulted to it. This is an interesting behavior, if you're using it constantly.

Does the ap200 get warm when just playing? Is this an android issue or just hardware? Been using a fiio x5III for the first time in anger today and a little surprised by how warm it gets. Also if someone could do a physical size comparison between the x5III and the hidiz that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

AP200 is kinda smaller than X5-3, but I don't have both at the moment.

AP200 gets fairly warm while in usage, but a bit less than some of the hotter DAPs. I'll measure it directly with other DAPs when I have the chance, but it didn't impress me especially with how warm it got. Need to mention though, it is quite warm if you're installing and doing anything else but playing music or streaming, but while just playing music, it is fairly ok.

Aug 9, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #655 of 2,616
And I just wanted to ask you how's the firmware working out for you. I also met a few... Glitches rather than issues. Nothing severe (Wohoo), and I told Hidizs about them, the answer was that they are working on fixing all of the issues.

Issues with Hiby are to be reported to Hidizs or to Hibi team? @Joe Bloggs , in this case, Hiby is the developer of the app?

Any chance when passing on feedback about firmware and HibyMusic issues, would you also mind passing on the suggestion for ReplayGain support? :wink:

Thank you.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #657 of 2,616
Great photos @Hawaiibadboy, thanks! - The custom Hiby player looks very slick, and the device itself is very attractive. Still torn on which color i'll choose, but your photos are pointing me towards the Black now.
20170809_164947[1].jpg
20170809_164849[1].jpg

20170809_164702[1].jpg

20170809_165015[1].jpg

20170809_164745[1].jpg

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #658 of 2,616
@Dobrescu George

Can it get loud? Does it have enough power for that? With iems , I mean

Cheers

Quite loud.

AP200 can drive Ultrasone Signature Studio to quite loud levels.

IT can drive ie800, RE-2000 and other IEMs and headphones to levels beyond what I listen to usually, and I am a loud listener, so the loudness is quite enough for what most people will be plugging into it, be it headphones or IEMs:smile_phones:

Any chance when passing on feedback about firmware and HibyMusic issues, would you also mind passing on the suggestion for ReplayGain support? :wink:

Thank you.

Sure!:darthsmile:

Aug 9, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #660 of 2,616
Patiently awaiting SQ impressions before I consider pulling the trigger on this. It looks good, but is the sound up to the same standards? Looking forward to your insights guys. Thanks for taking the time to help us all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back