New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Aug 9, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #676 of 2,616
I think both devices are extremely similar (spec wise), even price wise. I’d love a direct comparison with the X5III, as this being my first DAP, I’ll most likely go whichever one gives the best sound between the two.
I'll go for hidisz only due to USB C port )) maybe it sounds funny on head-if forum... but I'm not that kind of person who wish to buy device for 200+$$ with outdated port.

Aug 9, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #677 of 2,616
About how warm it gets, at about 25C in room right now, it barely gets warm to the touch, so no worries on that side of things.

I'll go for hidisz only due to USB C port )) maybe it sounds funny on head-if forum... but I'm not that kind of person who wish to buy device for 200+$$ with outdated port.

While interesting to have, I don't know why it would be better or worse, just saying, there are many reasons AP200 is an intresting choice, but I still don't fully understand the wonders of USB Type-C.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #679 of 2,616
While interesting to have, I don't know why it would be better or worse, just saying, there are many reasons AP200 is an intresting choice, but I still don't fully understand the wonders of USB Type-C.

1. It's universal across all modern devices ( I don't want to carry around several cables for various devices )
2. You don't have to choose which side to connect the cable

To me micro USB is dead. It's like old apple port (which was used before lightning appeared)

Aug 9, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #680 of 2,616
1. It's universal across all modern devices ( I don't want to carry around several cables for various devices )

To me micro USB is dead. It's like old apple port (which was used before lightning appeared)

That's also what I like about it. When I see a new device come out and be micro-USB instead of USB-C I am disappointed. Not that micro-USB doesn't work, but I've gotten used to USB-C with my phone and now really dislike having to use micro-USB for anything.

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #681 of 2,616

That's also what I like about it. When I see a new device come out and be micro-USB instead of USB-C I am disappointed. Not that micro-USB doesn't work, but I've gotten used to USB-C with my phone and now really dislike having to use micro-USB for anything.

I see... Right now this is the only device that has USB Type-C that I own. Everything, including my External HDDs, is running on good old micro-USB :darthsmile:

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #683 of 2,616
Finally developed the photos now!

I'd give AP200 a fairly good score on the looks scale!

Those will be featured in the full-length review since they are part of my full photoshoot of AP200.

bi628YT.jpg

ebl9NAq.jpg

i8NehJR.jpg

Does using usb c on the ap200 give you faster data transfer speed when copying music files to its internal memory?

Honestly can't say. The unit I have has only a few gigs of space, I think I saw pretty nice transfer speeds, like 12MB/s, but the retail units could have larger speed due to other internal memory installed, my unit only has 3 GB free, it is a demo unit after all.

Aug 9, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #685 of 2,616
@Dobrescu George,
Could you make a comparison between Hidizs AP200 and FiiO X5 iii gen under the only sound quality? Thank you in advance!

Sadly, I don't have both to compare the sound quality, but X5-3 really goes for another signature.

So, X5-3 is relaxed, smooth, dynamic, warm, has an emphasis on mids and bass and its top end is silky smooth. This means that the top end is smooth, it is smooted out, you must understand that it is not neutral :darthsmile:

AP200 is light, energetic, fast, warm, has an emphasis on both bass and treble, it sounds sparkly and impressive.

I don't know if this makes full sense...

X5-3 has a character more like a Sennheiser HD5XX, while AP200 has a character more like a Sennheiser M2 IEBT, or a Sennheiser ie800, with both the bass and the treble being strong. Still not a harsh or an analytic DAP, AP200 is more on the musical side, but it will show a different set of characteristics in music, AP200 will reveal other details than X5-3, you really need to consider which signature you want, because one will like one or the other. Maybe one will like both AP200 and Opus #3, or AP200 and FiiO X7mkii, since those would have a similar signature, but x5-3 has a smooth signature, like Cayin DAPs, or other smooth DAPs, like 1z, it is something some people really like. I'm much more of a neutral guy, smooth signatures are not exactly my thing, without treble, there is no energy, and that is the point, AP200 is energetic while X5-3 is relaxing, each does its thing really well. I don't want my music to relax me, I want it to impress me, to stun me, to energize me. I listen to a lot of upbeat electronic and metal, those work better with energetic and lively signatures, I have a feeling that I'll love DX200 for example. 1z was not my cup of tea either, a bit too relaxed to make me jump

Maybe someone else can chime in with an answer to this question:smile_phones:

At the end of the day, I'm not sure if there is a better way to put things, you know what you want, just keep in mind that it won't ever be an answer like "one is better than the other", because the question is not which is better, but which will be better for you.

Again, very different signatures, go for what you like and enjoy.

What headphones do you enjoy? What music? What type of sound do you want? What do you look for in a DAP? Maybe answering those will help you more :smile_phones:

Aug 9, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #686 of 2,616
Thank you for the answer! Really appreciate that.
I usually listen to orchestra music, classical, or movie music (Hans Zimmer, Jesper Kyd, Ennio Morricone, Alexandre Desplat for instance). I don't exclude other genres because I sometimes like to listen to different kinds of music.
But I would say that I prefer to feel the right tone of instruments without any coloration.
I use low impedence iem, as soon as possible I will buy Sennheiser IE800 or similar earphones. Anyway I use only Single Ended output since I don't have any balanced iem/headphone.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #687 of 2,616

1. Much more robust connection (I have a portable DAC/AMP that is useless because of a Micro-USB connection that doesn't unless you find the magic position and can hold it there perfectly still, IF you can even find it).
2. Very fast data transfer rate (if USB 3.1 Gen 2 implemented)
3. Much greater power delivery/fast charge time (if USB 3.1 Gen 2 implemented)
4. reversible connection

I desire all my new devices to be USB-C even if they don't take advantage of it potential high speed transfer rates and faster charging capabilities.

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #688 of 2,616
2. Very fast data transfer rate (if USB 3.1 Gen 2 implemented)
3. Much greater power delivery/fast charge time (if USB 3.1 Gen 2 implemented)

It would be great to know if USB 3.1 has been implemented or if they are just using the USB-C port but running it in USB 2.0 mode. Because the CoC the AP200 users is the Rockchip’s K3188 and it only supports USB 2.0, so unless Hidiz have a dedicated controller in it. I wonder if @Hidizs Hk @Hidizsofficial can comment please?

Aug 10, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #690 of 2,616
Congratulations to Hidizs for raising $240.000 with the campaign with only 5 days left. A real success.
Yes, congrats. It looks as if they have a winner on their hands once the firmware is optimized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back