New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Apr 30, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #2,296 of 2,616
One more pleasant discovery, AP200 runs very well all my 250 ohm phones, excellent sound and not much change in amplification from 32 ohm. Like 31% for 32 ohm Grado and 51% for 250 ohm Sennh 6XX. I do not know how Hidizs achieved this but it looks like quite a fit.
Not to be pedantic, but the Sennheiser HD 6XX are 300 Ω. I found the AP200 not to be able to correctly drive neither them nor the HE-560, there are a lot of distortions in place.

Apr 30, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #2,297 of 2,616
Slater91, I stand corrected, you are right they 300ohm, I confused them my Bayerdynamic phones both are 250 ohm. Concerning distortion, it could be my hearing limitation but on classics and jazz I did not hear much. I should not count here HE4XX, I guess, they are low impedance even if not very sensitive.

Apr 30, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #2,299 of 2,616
Not to be pedantic, but the Sennheiser HD 6XX are 300 Ω. I found the AP200 not to be able to correctly drive neither them nor the HE-560, there are a lot of distortions in place.

For HD6XX and for HE-560, I think you'd require more power to have them driven well, something like Hiby R6, FiiO X7mkii+AM05 or DX200+AMP5 are pretty much what I consider enough for either HE-560 and HD6XX. FiiO Q5+AM05 is also enough for those, but most less expensive portables are not quite there, even a power monster like Opus #1s might still not be enough, it is something true for pretty much all less expensive DAPs I tested

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #2,300 of 2,616
Slater91, May I ask you what are your musical preferences?
Sure! I do not have a favourite genre; black metal is maybe the genre I listen to the most, but that's obviously not my choice when testing equipment (save for a few specific tracks with weird soundstage). I also listen to jazz, classic rock, metal, neofolk (think Vali, Nest, Ulver, Empyrium), ambient (e.g. Carbon Based Lifeforms, Stellardrone), Blues (Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ten Years After, Tony Joe White), trip-hop and a few classic composers too.
The distortions I heard were specifically in Boccherini's La musica notturna delle strade di Madrid, included in the Master and Commander's soundtrack.

For HD6XX and for HE-560, I think you'd require more power to have them driven well, something like Hiby R6, FiiO X7mkii+AM05 or DX200+AMP5 are pretty much what I consider enough for either HE-560 and HD6XX. FiiO Q5+AM05 is also enough for those, but most less expensive portables are not quite there, even a power monster like Opus #1s might still not be enough, it is something true for pretty much all less expensive DAPs I tested
Yes, that's what I meant: I think the AP200 is not able to drive demanding headphones to their full potential and needs an external amplifier. That's not a flaw in se, as it is not meant to drive such headphones.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #2,305 of 2,616
On Grado RS2e (to be concrete) on high gain, it is normal for me. I guess, I have sensitive hearing, sometimes when I stand by people with cans on them, I become to be concerned for them, sound is so loud that they should be damaging their hearing.

One word

Time :)

It really depends for how long you listen at louder volumes. Recently I realised that I listen way above the typical safe levels but within the safe time periods, for example, I blast something really loud, but only for one hour or half an hour :)

May 7, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #2,309 of 2,616
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hidizs-ap200.22840/reviews#review-20283

My take.

DSC05013-small.JPG

May 15, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #2,310 of 2,616
Received this by email

Dear backers,

First of all, thanks for the great support and feedback thus far to help us continue to improve! Even though it has been a while since our campaign ended, we still have not stopped trying to improve our product. We are currently working on a new firmware for the AP200 in hopes of further improving the user experience. The estimated finish date of the new firmware is in late May. We will share the link with you once it is finished.

o.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back