New headphones - Denon AH-D2000 or AKG K701?
Jun 17, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #31 of 35

Quote:

D1001 are my first headphones.  Refurbed from dakmart. 

Tried to get same pair for my wife after she heard my headphones one time.   They were no longer in stock, so got her the Creative Live mentioned above.  They are indeed the same with minor cosmetic differences.  Sound the same to us and one runs off a Zune 120gb and the other of a Zune 8GB flash device.   Sound out of each source is the same to our ears as well, so switching Zunes didn't affect sound much.   Ran the D1001 off a receiver and get a slightly better sound but for the most part I think any source can run them at or near their best (no amp needed). 

D1001 and CAL's we both use them for walking our dogs.  They are very cozy.  Clamping is light, but can still walk a couple miles with them or run short distances with them.  I have fallen asleep with mine on and have no issue laying down with them on.   Sound is great until i hear different :p   All in all a good entry into this world and i got each for around $60-70.  

Thanks Peppe, just what i needed to know 
dt880smile.png
 Think i will have a go for the D1001, but does it sound ''boxy''?
Also if i don't like them, will it be possible to get a refund?

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #32 of 35

Not sure on the boxy.  It is the entry level phones, so it is not bad in any area but not great either.   Being closed it does bass well, but it is not a bass monster or anything, so you can use it for a variety of music.

If you are into trial mode you probably want to get it from a local retailer or someone like amazon with a good/easy return policy.

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #35 of 35
I own the Denon D2000 after a whole slew of other headphones.  They are by far the best of all I tried.  If you are listening to Techno/Trance, like I do exclusively with headphone usage, they are the best headphones you will ever own for this type of music.

Some important notes:

1.  The headphones do have a loose fit.  I solve this when I lay down by simply tying a bandana around my head, which I slot into the headphones between the headband and earcups.  It's a perfect fit, and keeps them on your head just fine when you lay down.

2.  These headphones are not what I consider a true closed headphone, in the sense that they do not prevent sound from leaking in, and they also leak out a bit.  I can even hear my fridge when it's on in the next room, a fan, whatever when I'm listening.  

3.  The D2000 sound way, way better - IMHO - than the D5000.  They sound much quicker, better rounded, with cleaner and tighter bass.  The D5000 was pretty, but had very recessed midrange to the point the singer sounded like she was in the next room, and a very bloated bass sound.  I hated them.  The D2000 is a far better headphone.  

Mark Lawton did a great review of the D series, and found that mostly they are the same headphone, with different factory mods.  I had my D2000 modded by his company which made the headphone way better, basically taking away the flaws it comes with from the factory (a bit loose bass, etc).

4.  They do not need an amp, as they sound great straight from an iPod.  However, like any can they do sound better with an amp.

Lastly, if you don't have the cash, buy the Audio-Technica M50 instead.  It is by far the best headphone I've ever heard in it's price class, or even double it's price class.  It is ALMOST as good as the D2000, which strong tight bass, great mids, nice highs.  It also is far more comfortable, stays on when you lie down, and doesn't allow any sound leakage at all.  It is a superbly designed headphone.

The ways the Denon's improve the M50 sound, is wider soundstage, a little less bloated bass, and slightly better highs.  But that comes at the cost of leakage, comfort, and a more recessed midrange.  So it's a toss up.  The D2000 is overall a higher quality headphone, but the M50 is no slouch.

I don't have the K701 but I am in fact buying one tonight, to replace my MD2000 which I must now sell.  I had an accident which hurt my ears, and I can no longer handle the Denon's powerful bass.  The K701 is famous for very lean bass, and a wonderful sound, so I'm heading that direction sadly.

Hope that all helps out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back