New headphones - Denon AH-D2000 or AKG K701?
Jun 15, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #16 of 35
I got one last question.
As mentioned this is the first pair of quality headphones that i'm going to buy, so i have a qustion that you guys will proberbly think is very dumb 
ph34r.gif

The 'best' pair of headphones i've tried is SkullCandy. I can imagine that SkullCandy is crap compared to these headphones, but how would i know since SC is the best i've tried.
Can someone compare SC with the other headphones, or tell me how big a diffrence there is? 
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #17 of 35

Quote:

[size=medium]
That's not exactly what i want. Would you recommend the Denon? (little concernt about the 'funny' sound you says it has) What could be other althernatives that is closed, has great sound and looks/feels good?
[/size]

I never said anything about the Denon sound, you must be mistaken for someone else.

Anyway I wouldn't recommend the D2000. Not because of an amplifying issue, but their fit is very loose. You said you'd use them when you go to bed at night, which I'm assuming you'd be lying down. I can't do this with D2000 because it keeps falling off my head.

D1001 is much better for your needs. If not I'd look into Technica or Ultrasone.

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #19 of 35

Quote:
The D1001 is also much cheaper, but is the sound good then?

If you go this route, save half the price of the Denons and get the Creative Aurvana Live. Same as D1001, just rebadged, and slightly different cosmetics.

Jun 15, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #22 of 35
The AKG's are a very polite detailed headphone when properly amped. They are too blase for me.
Also, the headband hurts my head after a couple of minutes. If you can stretch your dollar a bit
more, I would say that you should get the 5000's instead of the 2000's, and they are moddable
(check Head-Fi threads). 
As stated before, they are entirely 2 different headphones and really can't be compared. 
The Skull Candy's are crap.

Jun 15, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #24 of 35
Closed cans can't really produce that "all rounder/jack of all trades" sound for under $500. I would stick with an open can.. I've never heard the K701 but from what I've read, its a 50/50 satisfaction rate. 

I say try out the AD700's, They're kinda Bass light but no more so than the K701. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong... You mentioned that you wanted them to look good? Well the AD700 certainly do not, but they're super comfy and sound great with everything but synthetic bass. 

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #25 of 35
Sadly i can't effort the D5000 
frown.gif
 The AD700 looks great but i'm falling in love with the D1001, not only are they cheap but they look good and as i can understand they sound good too. A friend of mine has the AKG K271 that i'm going to try out soon, but how do they compare to the D1001? (both being closed cans, and in same price range)

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #27 of 35
To put things in perspective, how the skull candies compare to other headphones, is like comparing the iBuds to the e530's.

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #28 of 35

D1001 are my first headphones.  Refurbed from dakmart. 

Tried to get same pair for my wife after she heard my headphones one time.   They were no longer in stock, so got her the Creative Live mentioned above.  They are indeed the same with minor cosmetic differences.  Sound the same to us and one runs off a Zune 120gb and the other of a Zune 8GB flash device.   Sound out of each source is the same to our ears as well, so switching Zunes didn't affect sound much.   Ran the D1001 off a receiver and get a slightly better sound but for the most part I think any source can run them at or near their best (no amp needed). 

Now head-fi has taken my wallet and I built a DIY amp (CK2III) and am looking at buying Beyer DT770 600ohm to run off of it.

D1001 and CAL's we both use them for walking our dogs.  They are very cozy.  Clamping is light, but can still walk a couple miles with them or run short distances with them.  I have fallen asleep with mine on and have no issue laying down with them on.   Sound is great until i hear different :p   All in all a good entry into this world and i got each for around $60-70.  

Prior to going full size i had IEMs: Ultimate Ear EB5? i think.  Broke into pieces after a year or two.  Then monster turbines.  Fixable as it just needs a replacement 3.5mm connector as the stock one has developed a short.   Both are very good IEMs and had great sound, but no where near as comfortable as the denon's or CAL for extended listening.  

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #30 of 35
D1001 are not good sounding headphones IMO. They are some of the cheapest headphones Denon offers and they sound like it.  AKGs leak far too much to meet your needs. Seriously, they are speakers that you put on your ears, but I love em.

Stick with the D2000, but if you are convinced they are not good enough now, go another route. I would recommend Ultrasone because they are known to be great of electronic music. Very spacious and very high quality bass with plenty of bass quantity. I own D7000s and they do not beat Ultrasones in electronic music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back