New headphones - Denon AH-D2000 or AKG K701?
Jun 15, 2010 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

TheThrane

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!
I'm new on this site, and don't know that much about headphones.
I'm looking for a seriously good pair of headphones, and I'm down to the two named in the title. I'm mainly going to use them when i go to bed at nigth, just enjoying some music. I know that the Denon is closed and the AKG is open, and at this point i would prefer some closed which pulls me towards the Denon (plus they look amazing). But i read that the AKG is actually not that open? The reason i want them clodes, is because i want to be able to just turn up the volume without bothering anybody else. The cons with the Denon is that it's a little more expensive, and i read that it sounds just a little 'boxy'?
Well, bottom line. Which one would you recorment that fits my needs? Thanks in advance 
beyersmile.png

Jun 15, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 35
Listens to all kinds of music like Train (Hey, Soul Sister), Joe Cocker, Rascal Flatts but also techno/house like David Guetta,so could use a well all rounder. I would like the bass so the techno sounds well, but still not to powerfull so that i 'ruins' the more quiet songs...
Hoped i't maked sense 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 15, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 35
If you're willing to EQ the D2000, I'd go thataway, otherwise the K701 is probably the safer option.

Jun 15, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 35
I have the k601(similar to the k701, I've heard both) and a d2k with some mods. The denons are a more bassy, fun sound. The AKG k601/701 sound is more toward neutral and are more analytical.

Jun 15, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 35

Quote:
I have the k601(similar to the k701, I've heard both) and a d2k with some mods. The denons are a more bassy, fun sound. The AKG k601/701 sound is more toward neutral and are more analytical.

Which one do you prefer? One of the things that's keeping me away from the AKG is that it's open. Will people next to me be able to hear what i'm hearing? 

Quote:
they're completely different headphones. what kind of sound do you prefer?

I would prefer the more natural sound, but the lack of bass in the AKG that some people write about, concerns me.

I have to take in to my considerations that I'm not going to get an amp at the moment, so it have to sound good right from the ipod

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 35
I'd go with the D7000 and use the bass reduction EQ on the Ipod, will still have subjectively better bass - no amping necessary as well.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #13 of 35

Quote:
Yes. I don't know why some say AKGs aren't that open. They get pretty damn loud..

[size=medium]
That's not exactly what i want. Would you recommend the Denon? (little concernt about the 'funny' sound you says it has) What could be other althernatives that is closed, has great sound and looks/feels good?
[/size]

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #14 of 35

Quote:
Which one do you prefer? One of the things that's keeping me away from the AKG is that it's open. Will people next to me be able to hear what i'm hearing? 

I would prefer the more natural sound, but the lack of bass in the AKG that some people write about, concerns me.

I have to take in to my considerations that I'm not going to get an amp at the moment, so it have to sound good right from the ipod

Well I like them both, they compliment each other nicely. But the AKGs leak pretty bad. The AKG bass extends pretty deep, but its not the focus of the sound signature.

As for running ampless, from my Fuze both cans sound better from my minimax, but the AKGs really need a much more beefy amp than the denons. If your running ampless and from an ipod I'd have to recommend the denons. They both have a big stock cable and either isn't exactly a portable can.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #15 of 35

Quote:
I'd go with the D7000 and use the bass reduction EQ on the Ipod, will still have subjectively better bass - no amping necessary as well.

Assumes that you mean the D2000 as the D7000 cost a lot more? But is it necessary to change the EQ? Aren't there any closed headphones that just sounds beutiful out of the box? (after the burn-in time of course)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back