New HD25 with shinny shell and silly name
Jan 17, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #47 of 99

Quote:
I thought that Tyll did amazingly well not to inadvertently step off of the sidewalk into the oncoming traffic, as he was walking, talking, listening and videotaping his own mini-review.

Ha! I was thinking the same thing.

The scary thing is, I've seen people similarly multitasking like that while driving.

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #49 of 99
Here's why its expensive...

The cups are machined out of a solid block of aluminum on a multi axis CNC machine.  Not very quick or cheap...

They also completely redesigned driver to have a lower impedance and be more efficient without changing the sound.

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #50 of 99
i cant justify spending the extra on pretty cups and clever controls inbuilt, when you can get the same sound from the normal HD-25.

This to me seems by NO means an upgrade sonically, and therefore not worth it to me.

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #51 of 99
If they've warmed up the highs a bit, I'm interested. That seemed to be Tyll's first impression on Inner Fidelity.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #52 of 99

Well maybe not in overall sound, but the lower impedance will mean you wont need an amp to get them at their best. So price of an extra amp plus the small upgrades everywhere else might make that extra $150 worth it.

And just another comment on the velour. It absolutely improves the comfort. Even if you have an HD 25-1 II you should get velours if you have comfort issues. Consider that in price as well. A full set of velour pads for your 25-1 II is another 30-40 bucks.

Quote:
i cant justify spending the extra on pretty cups and clever controls inbuilt, when you can get the same sound from the normal HD-25.

This to me seems by NO means an upgrade sonically, and therefore not worth it to me.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #53 of 99

Quote:

Wow, Tyll sounds like he could use a walk or two.

As for the headphones, I think the HD25-1 II industrial look is a lot more attreactive than this blueish one ..

But you have to admire his style -- strolling with cocktail in hand.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #57 of 99
The Sennheiser guy in the video states they should "sound exactly the same". I reckon any sonic differences will probably be due to the new pads as there are differences between the pleather and velours when used on the HD25-1 II.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #58 of 99

Quote:
But you have to admire his style -- strolling with cocktail in hand.

That is true.

Quote:
FTMFW!   (Walking around with a drink is about the only good thing about Vegas.)

Is that legal in Vegas btw? Seems to me that if there's one place where walking around with drinks would be legal, would actually be Las Vegas or some old obscure Russian village (where they'd hunt you down if you drank anything else but pure vodka straight from a tin can).

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #59 of 99

Well maybe not in overall sound, but the lower impedance will mean you wont need an amp to get them at their best. So price of an extra amp plus the small upgrades everywhere else might make that extra $150 worth it.

And just another comment on the velour. It absolutely improves the comfort. Even if you have an HD 25-1 II you should get velours if you have comfort issues. Consider that in price as well. A full set of velour pads for your 25-1 II is another 30-40 bucks.

I never considered this, good point. 
but comfort has never been an issue with me. i play rugby so ive had to build up my neck and shoulders, and thus never worn headphones that feel heavy on my head, and my head also has a pretty small a circumference so nothing really clamps my head, guess im lucky, huh ? 
biggrin.gif

Agreed on the amp though. but id have thought most people on head-fi would have had a portable amp anyway, so i still dont know if (assuming most have an amp) that $150 is worth a bit of comfort (which you valued at $40) and a pretty aluminium shell.

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #60 of 99
This all just seems like a marketing ploy. They must have noticed how people were willing to pay £200 instead of £140 for a bit of Adidas blue branding and then thought we can milk this further by adding in-line remotes which the ipod generation love and better aesthetics as the normal HD25's industrial, utilitarian look only appeals to DJs and football commentators.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back