New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Apr 26, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #2,417 of 3,599

Quote:
Would the GS1 sound cleaner than the P-1u?
And the Apex, is that the 10k$ one?

I used to own the GS-1 with stepped attenuator and I had a P-1u loaner for 3 weeks at home. IMO the GS-1 is more analytical sounding compared to a warmer P-1u sound.

Interesting. I just checked the headamps site again, there's also the GSX.
For now what I consider are those two, BA, HP4 or keeping the Zana.
If I go for one of the tube options I would keep the Lux as well.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #2,418 of 3,599

Quote:
Hello everyone. I am a newbie here on Head-fi.org and recently got the Audio Technica W3000ANV which is really a gem! I listened to many high end headphones. The W3000ANV's aesthetics is among the best I have seen! Now among the back end gear I have, I would recommend the following setup. Connecting the Audio-technica straight to the headphone output of the Weiss DAC 202!! I tried using headphone amps such as the Cavalli Liquid Fire which I primarily use with my LCD3, but I find that the Cavalli Liquid Fire is not the best match with the W3000ANV. Too harsh to my liking, but perfect for the LCD3!

It is all about tonality matching in the end. For a low impedance headphone like the Audio Technica W3000ANV, the headphone out of both my Weiss DAC 202 and my Antelope Zodiac Gold are more than enough! The W3000ANV sounds absolutely amazing with either of them, but my preference is the Weiss DAC 202 which is warmer. The Zodiac Gold - W3000 ANV combination is a bit "too perfect" for me. I have also some pretty good portable iPhone DAC and portable headphone amp setups, but none of them makes the W3000ANV shines as much as the Weiss DAC 202 or Antelope Zodiac Gold headphone out. Now I use the Zodiac Gold with the Cavalli Liquid Fire and LCD3, and the Weiss DAC 202 straight out to the W3000ANV. This, in my opinion, gives me the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps!

Could you share your comparisons between the LCD3 and W3000, assuming that are both are amped in the best scenario?

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #2,419 of 3,599

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Would the GS1 sound cleaner than the P-1u?
And the Apex, is that the 10k$ one?

I used to own the GS-1 with stepped attenuator and I had a P-1u loaner for 3 weeks at home. IMO the GS-1 is more analytical sounding compared to a warmer P-1u sound.

I think the GXS shares the same sound signature as the GS-1 but in balanced mode (dual mono).

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 26, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #2,422 of 3,599

Quote:

I am actually getting a GS-X. Will let you know.

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #2,424 of 3,599

Quote:
Found the review, thanks. Will be a bedtime story together with the reviews of the Apex.
Let's see how high he was or how big that envelope was. :wink:
Still, I remember Blackmore being quite fond of the HP4.
I just wonder if it sounds tubey or clear and spatial.
Will look up some more impressions on HF tomorrow as well.

I think you will find that gear designed by Tim de Paravicini of EAR Yoshino is virtually universally acclaimed by almost every writer that has had one of his creations in his possession for review. Once I acquired an HP4 and rolled the stock tubes, replacing them with NOS RCA's and NOS Tungsols, I never felt the need to look any further. I was confident that I already had THE reference headphone amp in my rig. Six years later on, I decided to purchase a Leben CS-600 becasue 1....like the AT W3000, there will only be a limited number made.....2..... in Japan, the designer, Taku Hyodo, formerly with Luxman, is revered as an Audio God.....3....Leben amps are known to have tremendous synergy with Harbeth speakers, of which I own three different models of.......and 4......as just about everybody here knows, the CS-600 has a high quality headphone output.

Unfortunately, there is little info on HF since very few have ever even listened to an HP4, let alone own one.

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #2,425 of 3,599

Quote:

I think you will find that gear designed by Tim de Paravicini of EAR Yoshino is virtually universally acclaimed by almost every writer that has had one of his creations in his possession for review. Once I acquired an HP4 and rolled the stock tubes, replacing them with NOS RCA's and NOS Tungsols, I never felt the need to look any further. I was confident that I already had THE reference headphone amp in my rig. Six years later on, I decided to purchase a Leben CS-600 becasue 1....like the AT W3000, there will only be a limited number made.....2..... in Japan, the designer, Taku Hyodo, formerly with Luxman, is revered as an Audio God.....3....Leben amps are known to have tremendous synergy with Harbeth speakers, of which I own three different models of.......and 4......as just about everybody here knows, the CS-600 has a high quality headphone output.

Unfortunately, there is little info on HF since very few have ever even listened to an HP4, let alone own one.

I have heard the EAR HP4 with the ESW10JPN and I immediately snatched the ESW10JPN off the shelf. However, I could not reproduce that very experience (which is the reason why I was seduced to purchase the ESW10JPN in the first place).

I seriously don't like the look of the EAR HP4 and I didn't care much about it ever since that faithful day. Now that you have brought it up. If only I could be teleported back in time to try that amp out with my W3000ANV =)

Seeing how Appleheadmay is still on the search for the headamp tells me that those in his possession didn't really satisfy his hunger
wink_face.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #2,426 of 3,599

Quote:

I have heard the EAR HP4 with the ESW10JPN and I immediately snatched the ESW10JPN off the shelf. However, I could not reproduce that very experience (which is the reason why I was seduced to purchase the ESW10JPN in the first place).

I seriously don't like the look of the EAR HP4 and I didn't care much about it ever since that faithful day. Now that you have brought it up. If only I could be teleported back in time to try that amp out with my W3000ANV =)

Seeing how Appleheadmay is still on the search for the headamp tells me that those in his possession didn't really satisfy his hunger
wink_face.gif

In real time, the synergy between the W3000ANV and the HP4 is pretty sweet, thus my glowing report on the previous page, even without the cans having experienced any break-in period whatsoever. I realize AppleheadMay has an itch that he desperately needs to scratch. I'm doing what I can to steer him in the right direction. Then, after making the best possible choice, he will be able to forget about his rig and just enjoy the music. The HP4 may not be the sexiest looking amp on the market, but it is certainly one of the most expensive, and there is a perfectly good reason for that. For all of its so called "ugliness", it seduces you with it's "voice" and provides the listener with one helluva ride!

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #2,427 of 3,599
#1555 reporting in.

As I have been listening to HD800 for several month, most impressions are actually a comparison to HD800. So it could be bias, or not "accurate" (especially on criticisms :p)

First impression:
Package: I'm rather disappointed the with content of the package, I was hoping it comes with either a wood box, or a carrying case like other WXXX. Oh well let's move on...

Build: It does look sturdy. But I guess no one will try to throw it down 3 floors and see if this baby survives...

Look: Yes the killer look and yes, photos will not do this beauty its justice. I believe will only get better when the paint dries out with wood pattern starts to show...

Comfort: This phone is extremely light - so light that I had an impression that it's made of paper. It's lighter than AKG701, and HD800. However this doesn't mean it's perfect. The headband. Its design limits the ear cup's flexibility where drivers will not get straight vertical parallel position. Bottom of the skull gets most of the pressure, rather than evenly distributing around the ear. The size skull will determine driver's angle, and will be 'slightly' different for everyone. I hope this will not affect the sound too much. HD800 has a better ergonomic design, and more flexible for adjustment and comfort. W3000ANV touches my ears.

Isolation: If you need isolation, looks elsewhere...

Sound:  As many has indicated, this is not the most detail or "high tech" phone, so it does have flaws. But it has it magic...
It's warm, and the treble is tamed - This makes this phone forgiving. Overly bright recordings (like Japanese pressing of Heifetz recordings, for example), or pre 50s records with lots of hiss, W3000AMV is more enjoyable than HD800. Also jazz trumpet is more comfortable to my ears... (I'm not a brass fan btw)
Mid is beautiful and I'm out of words to describe them - go see other posts :p
Bass however is rather loose, with long decay, W3000ANV sound muffed and lack attack on the low register. The Jazz Messengers Hank's Symphony is far better on HD800...

Don't get me wrong - this is possibly the most beautiful "pre-break-in" sound I have heard, and Audio Technica made a good statement with this beautify piece of artwork.  

W3000ANV and HD800 makes a good paring with strong contrast on each other. On look and design, being classy v.s. hightech. On sound, being musical v.s. accurate.

I will let white noise and frequency swap run through this baby several days and see how things change... I hope the bass will tighten like how K702's bass got tighten over break in.

Note: Orchestra work is surprisingly good on W3000ANV too!

p.s.: I like to listen on low volume, however on low volume, the phone sounds totally different, and a bit "distanced". I cant find the right word to describe it. However the problem goes away if I turn up the volume to  about -20 dB on mid gain. I have been listening on HD800 below -25 dB on mid and high gain but does not have this problem.

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #2,428 of 3,599
The HP4 has gone up in price 2 or 3 times since its introduction.  I remember seeing units sell for ~$1500 on the used market back in 06-07.  It may very well be a tremendous headphone amp but if you do order it keep in mind that at $5250 you'll probably lose at least a couple thousand upon resale.  The Balancing Act, by contrast, has a solid resale value among high end tube amps from the few sales I've seen (although only released 3 years ago so we'll see where that goes.)  

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #2,429 of 3,599

Quote:
The HP4 has gone up in price 2 or 3 times since its introduction.  I remember seeing units sell for ~$1500 on the used market back in 06-07.  It may very well be a tremendous headphone amp but if you do order it keep in mind that at $5250 you'll probably lose at least a couple thousand upon resale.  The Balancing Act, by contrast, has a solid resale value among high end tube amps from the few sales I've seen (although only released 3 years ago so we'll see where that goes.)  

Shop wisely and the unit may be had for 80% of retail, at least here in the States. And by the way, current retail price is $5695.00! One obviously has to make sure it is a keeper before purchasing. It is not a flavor-of-the-month headamp. Very difficult to audition with the proper NOS tubes however. The price puts most HF'rs off which is one reason why it remains one of the better kept secrets in hi-fi gear.

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #2,430 of 3,599
Does anyone have any specs for the EAR HP4? Input impedance, output impedance, power @ distortion to 32/150/300/600 ohms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back