New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Apr 28, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #2,446 of 3,599

Quote:
For a headphone like this which is so easy to drive and has such a distinct personality, how much return does one get by throwing these $2-5,000 amps at it.
I only ask because I'm genuinely interested and this thread seems to have become less about the ATs and more about what I consider to be extremely expensive amps. I know know this is the end high-end forum, but I also wonder why the W3K thread is in this forum (everything is relative I guess).

It's great from my iPhone directly. Today I briefly tried it with a uDAC-2 and it got even better. Then with my GS-1...wow! Also super wow with my (now sold) WA22. So it does scale very well. Next week, I'll give it a try with my incoming Liquid Fire.

That's good to know. I can't wait to try it on some more amps.

Also, I hate typing and editing on a tablet. :frowning2:

Apr 28, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #2,447 of 3,599
I just want Alex's amp to be able to do anything. :D

Quote:

Quote:
Here's hoping it sounds fantastic with the LF, but I'm a bit worried since it wasn't the best pair for the D7000.

You never know? They might be better than the Denons with the LF? Worst case, I've got my GS-1 right here next to it.
smile.gif

Apr 28, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #2,448 of 3,599
I just find it interesting that this is one of the few headphone threads whereby the people here are more interested in finding the best amp for this headphone rather than to try and compare it against other headphones. Says a lot about the W3000ANV
wink_face.gif

Apr 28, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #2,449 of 3,599
I plan on getting a AT-HA5000 and maybe selling my GS-1. I'm very interested in how the HA5000 performs with the W3000ANV, W5000, and AD2000. :)

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #2,450 of 3,599

Quote:

Quote:
For a headphone like this which is so easy to drive and has such a distinct personality, how much return does one get by throwing these $2-5,000 amps at it.
I only ask because I'm genuinely interested and this thread seems to have become less about the ATs and more about what I consider to be extremely expensive amps. I know know this is the end high-end forum, but I also wonder why the W3K thread is in this forum (everything is relative I guess).

It's great from my iPhone directly. Today I briefly tried it with a uDAC-2 and it got even better. Then with my GS-1...wow! Also super wow with my (now sold) WA22. So it does scale very well. Next week, I'll give it a try with my incoming Liquid Fire.

I'm intersted in your opinion on the LF with the W3000, maybe in comparison how well the W3000 fares vs the HD800 when driving them with the LF.
I always had the thought that the LF is only good for power hungry phones. I can imagine you won't have much usable volume control range in that case with the W3000.

Quote:
I plan on getting a AT-HA5000 and maybe selling my GS-1. I'm very interested in how the HA5000 performs with the W3000ANV, W5000, and AD2000. :)

Too bad you're in the US, I have a very nice 5000ANV waiting for a more appreciative owner.
But shipping from here to the US is a real dealbreaker pricewise.

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #2,451 of 3,599
Been on W3000ANV for the last couple days, and I have been enjoying the "dreamlike" sound. But I switch back to my normal phone... I can hear David Oistrakh pressing fingerboard!

Guess I'm a detail freak after all.

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #2,452 of 3,599

Quote:
For a headphone like this which is so easy to drive and has such a distinct personality, how much return does one get by throwing these $2-5,000 amps at it?
I ask both because I'm genuinely interested and because this thread seems to have become less about the ATs and more about what I consider to be extremely expensive amps. I know this is the high-end forum, but I also wonder why the W3K thread is in this forum (everything is relative I guess).

I think it doesn't take much to figure why the W3000ANV belongs in the high-end forum. It can be a game-ender for some folks.

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #2,454 of 3,599
Perhaps I'm laboring under some sort of delusion (wouldn't be the first time), but it seems as though price is the biggest factor in terms of taxonomy here, and anything at $1000 USD or above gets assigned to the Summit-Fi forum. You can certainly debate the merits of such a system, but it seems to me to be as simple as that.

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #2,455 of 3,599

Quote:
Too bad you're in the US, I have a very nice 5000ANV waiting for a more appreciative owner.
But shipping from here to the US is a real dealbreaker pricewise.

I've seen that, but I haven't bothered to PM because you're not in the US. Is there any reason to get the ANV version besides a finish to match the W3000ANV? Any other changes?

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #2,456 of 3,599
Yes and no. There's the finish, the different bottom plate (isolation) I believe and different power cable.
At first all impressions here were negative about the ANV saying that it's the same amp for a crazy price increase, later on I remember reading one or two posts of people claiming there was a difference to be heard. It was somewhere in this thread. I can't tell you though because I never heard the HA5000, only the HA5000ANV.
Apart from that there would be the resale value in a few years I think since it's limited to only 200 pieces.

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #2,457 of 3,599
Perhaps I'm laboring under some sort of delusion (wouldn't be the first time), but it seems as though price is the biggest factor in terms of taxonomy here, and anything at $1000 USD or above gets assigned to the Summit-Fi forum. You can certainly debate the merits of such a system, but it seems to me to be as simple as that.

Yes I'd agree. I guess it's more the inconsistency in the way people use the forums. The regular-fi forums are full of threads about T1s, +1k amps , etc. ToTL is subjective.

Have to say the cable on this thing could use work - talking about it's physical properties rather than electrical ones.

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #2,458 of 3,599

Quote:
Have to say the cable on this thing could use work - talking about it's physical properties rather than electrical ones.

Japanese consumers seem to be quite fond of fabric jackets on their cables. Aesthetically it looks nice enough, but I find they're prone to twisting up more than rubber jacketed cables, sometimes to a very annoying degree.

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #2,459 of 3,599
Japanese consumers seem to be quite fond of fabric jackets on their cables. Aesthetically it looks nice enough, but I find they're prone to twisting up more than rubber jacketed cables, sometimes to a very annoying degree.

It's also pretty microphonic when the rough material rubs against itself.

Looks nice though.

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #2,460 of 3,599

Quote:
Quote:

Yes I'd agree. I guess it's more the inconsistency in the way people use the forums. The regular-fi forums are full of threads about T1s, +1k amps , etc. ToTL is subjective.

I wouldn't say cost of equipment should be the factor to decide whether it should be put in the high-end forum and cost does not always reflect quality though it often does.
But how else would we decide what to put in this forum or not, who would decide that and would that reflect everyone's opinion?
IMO we should all choose what is high-end to us (or better put, sounds good to us no matter if it's considered high-end) or not and make our choices based on that.

Are you talking about the W3000 cable comfortwise?
I seem to be fine with it as I am with most cable that have a cotton(like) finish, I actually prefer it to rubber but that's mainly because the rubber looks cheapish on an expensive phone. Rubber causes no discomfort to me as well.

I ordered me a Norse cable that was shipped to me last week. I'm not much of a fan of cable replacement but since I will be heavily modding my Denons anyway I though why not add a nice cable. I chose it based on the looks, though Trevor seems to put a lot of work in the comfort of his cables and the reviews I read here on the SQ are all great. I can tell you his customer support is super-great and the possibilities and choices are endless with Norse. I can't wait to see how good that cable actually looks in reality. Here's a pic on the new Norn V2 from his site. I have some info on the Skuld as well since I ordered a Superlight for my AH-A100, but no pics as of yet.

Norn2maingraphic02.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back