New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Apr 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #2,311 of 3,599
Also, I've discovered that the JMoney Beyer pads fit on these guys. ( the ATs not the cats)

How is the comfort with Beyer pads? Any change in sound?

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #2,312 of 3,599
Comfort is better.

Sound is noticeably worse.

For some reason they bring in the same boomy aspect that they impart to T1's. The clarity also seems to take a hit. I was quite surprised at the difference.

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #2,313 of 3,599
a bugaboo i have with the w3000anv is the fit. mine clamps and while the leather earpads look luxurious, they're not deeply padded. it's always a bit of a relief to take them off to be honest. i've worn more comfortable headphones.

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #2,314 of 3,599

Quote:
a bugaboo i have with the w3000anv is the fit. mine clamps and while the leather earpads look luxurious, they're not deeply padded. it's always a bit of a relief to take them off to be honest. i've worn more comfortable headphones.

Hmm. I find the W3000ANV very comfortable if I'm either not wearing glasses or wearing my thinner metal glasses. With my plastic pair the W3000ANV causes the glasses to dig into my head. No issues with either pair of glasses using the AD2000.

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #2,315 of 3,599
it probably seems unusual because i've read posts from w3000anv owners describing theirs as loose fitting. i've tried other a-t models and they exerted little clamping pressure but these definitely exert more. i have an average sized head and don't wear glasses.

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #2,316 of 3,599

Quote:
it probably seems unusual because i've read posts from w3000anv owners describing theirs as loose fitting. i've tried other a-t models and they exerted little clamping pressure but these definitely exert more. i have an average sized head and don't wear glasses.

That's strange. I ware hat size 7 and the were loose on my head so I bent the headband a little bit and now they are perfect just enough pressure to make a good seal and still be comfortable.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 21, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #2,317 of 3,599
Quote:
I'm finding the pads a bit strange on these. The opening seems a fair bit smaller than my other over-ear phones. Whereas the headband seems to have been made for heads on the large size.

I have the same issue, and measured them against my W5000s which for me, after adjusting the bend, are still the most comfortable headphones I own. The W3000 pads have indeed a smaller inside diameter, just enough to be a bit tight around my apparently largish ears... (the depth is the same though)

As far as the clamping goes, they can be fairly easily adjusted by bending the arcs one way or another. The tricky part is that the clamp is uneven from top to bottom... by default they are so angled that while they clamp quite firmly at the bottom of the pads, the top is almost loose. That does not just create a problem with seal (and thus potentially anemic bass) but also longer-term comfort.

The W5000 were not that angled to begin with and fairly easily bendable, but with the W3000, I had to apply significant pressure against the edge of a table to change the angle to something straighter... But thanks to that the fit is now much better (nothing can be done about the pad diameter obviously)

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #2,319 of 3,599

Quote:
The comfort isn't bad. But TBH the Denons are way more comfortable than the W3000ANVs.

Haha I had opposite experience from you though.

Denons has some of the most comfortable headphones around but I can't seem to wear them for more than 1 hour. (On LCD2 I can't wear it for more than 10mins)

I just had the W3000Anvs on my head for 3 hours straight and I actually didn't realized that I have been listening to music for that long already =)

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #2,320 of 3,599

Quote:
Quote:

I have the same issue, and measured them against my W5000s which for me, after adjusting the bend, are still the most comfortable headphones I own. The W3000 pads have indeed a smaller inside diameter, just enough to be a bit tight around my apparently largish ears... (the depth is the same though)

As far as the clamping goes, they can be fairly easily adjusted by bending the arcs one way or another. The tricky part is that the clamp is uneven from top to bottom... by default they are so angled that while they clamp quite firmly at the bottom of the pads, the top is almost loose. That does not just create a problem with seal (and thus potentially anemic bass) but also longer-term comfort.

The W5000 were not that angled to begin with and fairly easily bendable, but with the W3000, I had to apply significant pressure against the edge of a table to change the angle to something straighter... But thanks to that the fit is now much better (nothing can be done about the pad diameter obviously)

i could never strong-arm my precious w3000anv as it would only end in tears. the upside to the clamping force is that they isolate quite well.
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #2,321 of 3,599
IME AT headphones do need some clamping to make them sound their best.
They sound kind of "airy" if they're loose, such as with the W5000 on most people, but you're also losing a lot
of the sound in the lower regions.

If they are already clamping you are probably good to go, but you could try adjusting the positioning so the pressure is distributed more evenly, or not
directly on one of the stubby parts of your skull, that tends to get irritating after a while. :wink:

Apr 21, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #2,322 of 3,599
I don't mind the clamping pressure at all. I find it is relatively easy to adjust that with a little bend here and there to the headband rods. I just haven't figured out if these pads are designed to work like true over the ear pads ( in which case the driver sits very close to your ear) or more like an on-ear pad, or a bit of both.

Apr 21, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #2,323 of 3,599
They're over ear for me, but its close.

Listened to Meshuggah's latest effort, Koloss, with the AD2000 and then the W3000ANV back to back. I thought I would prefer the bass of the W3000ANV for the 8 stringed guitar attack of Meshuggah, but I preferred the AD2000 overall. The clarity and speed of the AD2000 seemed to work better with the mechanical and polyrhythmic sounds of the band. The bass of the W3000ANV was nice but some of the precision seemed lost.

I'll see if I can offer more detailed opinions on a wider range of music eventually.

Apr 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #2,324 of 3,599
The more I listen to these the better I like them. They are a bit like the T1's. The immediate wow factor isn't huge, but when you sit back and just listen to music there comes a point when you realize that's all you are doing, listening to the music rather than the hardware .. and the music sounds very sweet.

Apr 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #2,325 of 3,599
I can agree that you just listen to the music and enjoy, but I wouldn't compare them too much to the T1 as I can't stand the T1's crazy treble. :D

The W3000ANV is fabulous. Technically not that amazing, but once you look beyond that it is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back