New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Apr 22, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #2,341 of 3,599
OK, here's a specific question:

Did anyone try the BA with thw W3000, W1000X, W5000 or L3000 and what were your impressions reagrding SQ, black background or the BA being overpowered for these phones?

I'm about to pull the trigger here folks, your impressions would be much more than welcome.

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #2,342 of 3,599
I'm interested in the W5000 myself, but there doesn't seem to be a dedicated thread to it. Guess it's that unpopular on Head-Fi. The frequency graphs for it look a bit wonky, but I can't help but be interested.

I do love the W3000ANV for certain types of music but for others I find it a little slow sounding. Wondering if the W5000 would do a bit better in that regard. The AD2000 just seems to blow the W3000ANV away for metal. I need to do more comparisons with other genres soon. I did enjoy how the W3000ANV made certain recordings feel more... alive.

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #2,343 of 3,599

Quote:
You obviously need a hybrid amp to complete your collection...How about an LF? :D

The LF? Come on, something that was made with an LCD in mind? That's not what I need at all IMO but feel free to prove me wrong.

Quote:
I'm interested in the W5000 myself, but there doesn't seem to be a dedicated thread to it. Guess it's that unpopular on Head-Fi. The frequency graphs for it look a bit wonky, but I can't help but be interested.

I do love the W3000ANV for certain types of music but for others I find it a little slow sounding. Wondering if the W5000 would do a bit better in that regard. The AD2000 just seems to blow the W3000ANV away for metal. I need to do more comparisons with other genres soon. I did enjoy how the W3000ANV made certain recordings feel more... alive.

Metal? The AD2000 isi very good for vocal just like the W3000 IMO but if you wanna listen metal go for an L3000. It'll cost you quite a bit more but you'll never regret it or have to sell it off.
I'm listening to hardrock with the W1000X for the moment and enjoy it, but I know from experience that I will be toe tapping first and headbanging along with playing air-guitar as soon as I put the L3000 on my head. The W3000 are just as good as the L3000, but both for their specific kinds os music.
IMO, YMMV and all the rest of course.

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #2,344 of 3,599

Quote:

The LF? Come on, something that was made with an LCD in mind? That's not what I need at all IMO but fell free to prove me wrong.

Metal? The AD2000 isi very good for vocal just like the W3000 IMO but if you wanna listen metal go for an L3000. It'll cost you quite a bit more but you'll never regret it or have to sell it off.
I'm listening to hardrock with the W1000X for the moment and enjoy it, but I know from experience that I will be toe tapping first and headbanging along with playing air-guitar as soon as I put the L3000 on my head. The W3000 are just as good as the L3000, but both for their specific kinds os music.
IMO, YMMV and all the rest of course.

Hmm. But is the L3000 fast enough? My concern with the W3000ANV for metal is that it's a little too slow and things can get muddy where the AD2000 keeps everything nice and precise. The AD2000 is very on point where the W3000ANV may sometimes just slightly blur things together.

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #2,345 of 3,599
I was kind of joking. You have a full tube and a full SS. You just need the in-between now.

I would really like to try the LF with the W3000. Jack 1 has a ton of power, but jack 2 was designed with sensitive cans in mind. I think it'd sound great. Worked well with the D7000.

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #2,346 of 3,599

Quote:
Hmm. But is the L3000 fast enough? My concern with the W3000ANV for metal is that it's a little too slow and things can get muddy where the AD2000 keeps everything nice and precise. The AD2000 is very on point where the W3000ANV may sometimes just slightly blur things together.

Fast enough, no. But faster than any other AT I heard.
But it gets the bass guitar just like a metalhead would like it (my best firind that listens 90% of his time to Metallica for example, and if that isn't good bass I don't know what is).
I f you want faster the AD2000 may do that or not, I can't tell you since that wasn't a trait I was looking for since I found the AD2000 wrong for metal in the first place. But if you like the bass guitars sound like thsy should (which is one of the main things with metal,right?) then you need an L3000.
That siad, the W1000X may sound a little faster tho'.

Quote:

See above.

Quote:
I was kind of joking. You have a full tube and a full SS. You just need the in-between now.

I would really like to try the LF with the W3000. Jack 1 has a ton of power, but jack 2 was designed with sensitive cans in mind. I think it'd sound great. Worked well with the D7000.

If the low powrer works well with the D7000 I would certainly stay away from the LF.
On the Zana the low power works well with my ATs and the high power (or impedance or gain or whatever) works well with my D7000s.
IMO the LF is a very fine amp, it's just that it's built to drive phones that suck power. Like the LCDs, which are about the exact opposite from ATs.

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #2,348 of 3,599

Quote:

Fast enough, no. But faster than any other AT I heard.
But it gets the bass guitar just like a metalhead would like it (my best firind that listens 90% of his time to Metallica for example, and if that isn't good bass I don't know what is).
I f you want faster the AD2000 may do that or not, I can't tell you since that wasn't a trait I was looking for since I found the AD2000 wrong for metal in the first place. But if you like the bass guitars sound like thsy should (which is one of the main things with metal,right?) then you need an L3000.
That siad, the W1000X may sound a little faster tho'.

Sounds like we have very different tastes. 
biggrin.gif
 And this is why it is great that we have so many choices! If the L3000 is not fast enough, then I probably don't want it. You are also saying the L3000 is the fastest AT you've heard. But the AD2000 may be faster, and you have heard it? A bit confusing. 
confused.gif

As for Metallica, I never listen to them. Not really into any era of their music. I don't see how bass guitar supposedly "sounding like they should" is one of the main things with metal. The overall experience is what is important. Bass guitar is often playing a supporting role to the guitar. Depends on the style/band.I need a good amount of clarity and separation. Guitars, drums, keys, and vocals are of greater importance, IMO. But that is not to say the bass guitar is not important. It's still very important. But then again, there are metal bands with no bassist. And metal bands with no guitarist. Haha. 
tongue.gif

It's not to say that there aren't better headphones for metal than the AD2000. There may be. And the style of metal is a definite factor. But I think the fast nature of the AD2000 is to its' advantage. And I was surprised that its' fast nature seemed to play a rather large role in my preference for it over the W3000ANV even for a band like Meshuggah. They're quite technical, but they're not generally known for playing that fast. Their 8 string guitars probably come into play here. The AD2000 was able to provide clarity to those low tones where the W3000ANV felt a little behind and notes sometimes lacked the proper separation.

Edit: Back to my off topic question. Any impressions on the W5000 against the W3000ANV? Or perhaps I should just throw down the cash eventually and see for myself.

Apr 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #2,349 of 3,599
Messed around with the WA2 a bit this afternoon. It sounds quite good to my ears. But the more I listen to these cans, the more I think the most important component is the music. They are fairly unimpressive on certain types of music (using both DX100 and WA2). On some tracks I can see what you mean uelover - they sound a little dull and dead out of the DX compared to the Woo. But the stuff they do well they do very very well - and the amp seems to have a smaller effect when these guys are really shining.

For me they make a nice compliment to the T1's picking up in the areas where the T1's are less brilliant, but not providing any kind of competition where the Beyer's shine. I'm not 100% sold on them yet because they seem a bit limited in scope where they are truly excellent. But I can't wait to hear them with more types of amp.

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #2,350 of 3,599
I'm probably going to pick up the W3000ANV shortly. But I still use and love my W1000x on a regular basis. I'm looking for opinions: do the two complement each other, or does the ANV totally outclass and thus replace the W1000x? I've heard both opinions from different people so I'm not sure what to think.

I'm just trying to plan ahead about some other purchases, and I don't know if I have the space to keep the W1000x around. 

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #2,351 of 3,599
I don't know about others, but I found that I listen to ATH-W3000ANV pretty exclusively these days. I enjoy ATH-W1000X's bass more, but that's not enough reason. I'm a single headphone guy anyway. = ) Collecting these or listening to many different phones isn't for me. In any case, ATH-W3000 outclasses ATH-W1000X pretty clearly.

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #2,352 of 3,599
I just went for a little trip through the T1, D7000 and DX1000 this weekend and I just came back to the W3000ANV. Wow! These headphones are awesome! They became my favorite closed headphones.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 23, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #2,354 of 3,599
Quote:

Edit: Back to my off topic question. Any impressions on the W5000 against the W3000ANV? Or perhaps I should just throw down the cash eventually and see for myself.

I have had the W5000 for quite a long time (they were my first "audiophile" pair) and have had a japanese import W3000 for a while now. I won't go into flowery head-fi-style descriptions, but for me the bottom line is simple: the W3000 gives you everything the W5000 does, but better (ex. the treble is slightly more controlled) and more (ex. the bass extension in particular). I can listen to everything I enjoyed on the W5000, and everything else I didn't warm up to so much.

Of course, the W5000 can be had at a noticeably lower price than the W3000, even at its new lower US price. And for my head/ears, the comfort of the W5000 is still unmatched by any other headphones I have (but it's not like the W3000 is uncomfortable by any stretch, after some adjustments)

So if you only listen to certains genres (classical, mostly smaller ensembles, most jazz, most (female) vocals) you could conceivably save some money and get a pair of headphones you'd be perfectly happy with (if that's possible for a head-fier...) Otherwise, to cover all bases, the W3000 is the universal choice (in terms of AT-style sound signature) if you are willing to lay out the cash. IMHO, of course.

Apr 23, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #2,355 of 3,599

Quote:
Hmm on what types of music are you interested among the two? I happen to have both on hand at the moment
smily_headphones1.gif

I listen to a wide variety of music. Depends on how I'm feeling, I guess. j-pop (majority being anime related), psytrance, metal (symphony, death metal, tech, etc), ska, reggae, Pink Floyd, soul (Sam Cooke, etc), jazz (Coltrane, Bill Evans, etc), post-rock, impressionist/classical (Ravel, DeBussy, etc), musicals, + more.

I think the reason I'm preferring the AD2000 is because it seems to do quite well with a wider range of music than the W3000ANV. How does the W5000 do with a wide variety of material? I mainly have seen it recommended for classical and jazz. Do you feel it works well for a wider variety of material than that? In your opinion, which seems to do better with a wider variety of genres/recordings? Thanks!

I will probably end up buying a W5000 fairly soon just to test the waters, but I do like hearing as many opinions as possible.

Quote:

I have had the W5000 for quite a long time (they were my first "audiophile" pair) and have had a japanese import W3000 for a while now. I won't go into flowery head-fi-style descriptions, but for me the bottom line is simple: the W3000 gives you everything the W5000 does, but better (ex. the treble is slightly more controlled) and more (ex. the bass extension in particular). I can listen to everything I enjoyed on the W5000, and everything else I didn't so warm up to so much.

Of course, the W5000 can be had at a noticeably lower price than the W3000, even at its new lower US price. And for my head/ears, the comfort of the W5000 is still unmatched by any other headphones I have (but it's not like the W3000 is uncomfortable by any stretch, after some adjustments)

So if you only listen to certains genres (classical, mostly smaller ensembles, most jazz, most (female) vocals) you could conceivably save some money and get a pair of headphones you'd be perfectly happy with (if that's possible for a head-fier...) Otherwise, to cover all bases, the W3000 is the universal choice (in terms of AT-style sound signature) if you are willing to lay out the cash. IMHO, of course.

Thanks for the opinion. I actually already own the W3000ANV. I'm just finding that it doesn't seem to do as well in as many styles as the AD2000. That's why I thought that maybe the W5000 would be interesting. Saving money isn't really an issue. I'm getting to be past the point of no return.. I've already spent more than I ever thought I would on headphone gear.

You don't feel the W5000 does as well outside of classical and jazz? That seems to be a common opinion on the W5000, from what I've been reading. But it still interests me for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back