New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Apr 21, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #2,326 of 3,599
Yes, I didn't mean to equate the sound signature to the T1, just the experience. Of course I'm still crazy about the T1-Wa2 combo, so perhaps I see things a bit differently. :wink:

Apr 21, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #2,328 of 3,599
I did only a very brief listen with the Woo, and it sounds very good. My initial impression is that the amp itself doesn't affect the sound of the W3K as much as it does the T1. Really though, I haven't tried more than a couple of tracks (only had these a few days). Hopefully I'll get some more W3k-WA2 time before the weekend is out - kids, wife, and F1 (in descending order) all trump my listening aspirations this weekend. I've spent most of my listening time straight out the DX100 - also very new - and they both seem to get better and better the more I listen. Burn in? Brain burn?

I'm after an inexpensive amp for when I want to run these off of my computer. I don't have another OTL amp to compare to but I'm hoping to give them a try with the Valhalla and a Mappletree this week to see how they compare vs the Wa2. Can't see myself dropping huge coin for an amp for these guys just yet.

Apr 21, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #2,329 of 3,599

Quote:
I'm after an inexpensive amp for when I want to run these off of my computer. I don't have another OTL amp to compare to but I'm hoping to give them a try with the Valhalla and a Mappletree this week to see how they compare vs the Wa2.

Valhalla with W3k is....

I don't enjoy the W3k with my DX100.

The O2/ODAC may just be what you are looking for =)

Apr 21, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #2,330 of 3,599
Actually there is supposed to be an O2, or two, to sample along with the Valhalla and Mapletree. I'd have grabbed one already to try out, but I'm a bit put off by the form factor - don't like all the cables coming out the front and only a 1/8" jack (I'm too busy at the moment to attempt doing my own fumble fingered custom job). Looking forwards to some more opinions of the just released ODAC too.

I know you're not super fond of the DX + W3k. I gotta say I think it's not bad at all. I have some Stacey Kent going right now in fact. :regular_smile :

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #2,331 of 3,599
Mr Slim builds an O2 that works like the ODA (with RCA and AC input at the back and 1/4" out on the front).

So far I am making do with mine from JDS Labs. The cables on the front are forgiven when the music are playing =)

Yeah the DX100 with W3K is just not bad, decent sound, but not enjoyable. I enjoyed the W3k more when used directly out from my ipod classic 7th gen and macbook pro, ironically though.

That is not to say that the DX100 is bad, In fact it is very good, just that this particular pairing isn't all that ideal.

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #2,333 of 3,599
Mr Slim builds an O2 that works like the ODA (with RCA and AC input at the back and 1/4" out on the front).

So far I am making do with mine from JDS Labs. The cables on the front are forgiven when the music are playing =)

Yeah the DX100 with W3K is just not bad, decent sound, but not enjoyable. I enjoyed the W3k more when used directly out from my ipod classic 7th gen and macbook pro, ironically though.

That is not to say that the DX100 is bad, In fact it is very good, just that this particular pairing isn't all that ideal.

uelover, what are you using for source with the O2?

Thanks for the heads up on Mr. Slim. Looks like he's even local for me. I wonder if he's still making O2's.

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #2,334 of 3,599
Typically, an OTL tube amp isn't going to be optimal with low impedance dynamic driver headphones like the 3000ANV. I have not really tried it though, as my current tube amps are all transformer coupled, and they like the W3000ANV very much, but the impedance matching is better.

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #2,335 of 3,599
Quote:
uelover, what are you using for source with the O2?
Thanks for the heads up on Mr. Slim. Looks like he's even local for me. I wonder if he's still making O2's.

Hmm I am using it with my Eastern Electric Minimax Tube DAC that is ESS9018 based. I think that the W3k likes tube, but good tube amps that are suitable for the W3k are costing really a lot. Skylab is in a much better position to recommend you an amp =)

You can just shoot Mr. Slim a PM. I don't know him myself, neither have I spoken to him before
redface.gif

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #2,336 of 3,599
@Pudu

Thanks for your impressions, no matter how brief your experience was it helped me anyway.
Quote:
Typically, an OTL tube amp isn't going to be optimal with low impedance dynamic driver headphones like the 3000ANV. I have not really tried it though, as my current tube amps are all transformer coupled, and they like the W3000ANV very much, but the impedance matching is better.

@Skylab.

Skylab, I just checked your current headphones.
Is my memory fading or is it right you seemed to prefer closed cans to open ones before?
Thanks for your info on OTL vs. TC by the way, I somehow got the impression it was the other way around in the last months. That's why I bought a Zana but I'm in the process of upgrading to a BA even though I have no interest whatsoever in the balanced outputs.
As you can see in my profile I sold everything but a few AT Woodies and the D7000s as those are the phones I enjoy. The only pair I see myself buying in the near future are the TH900.

I think the PX4 tubes are the ones that have the least "tube warnth coloration" for the BA no?

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #2,337 of 3,599
I do not have a sonic preference for closed headphones, no. I have currently two closed (W3000ANV and Ultrasone Ed 8 LE) and two open (LCD–3 and HE-6). The open two are better sounding than the closed two, overall. However, much of my headphone listening requires closed headphones. So I have a NEED for closed, not a preference for them.

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #2,338 of 3,599
From my understanding the Zana Deux is the exception to OTL not being good for low impedance headphones.  Craig did some sort of magic to get the impedance down to 3 OHM, not something you typically find in an OTL amp.  The rulle of thumb is the amp impedance times 8 or 10 should be less than the headphone impedance.

Edit:
(amp OHM x 10) < headphone OHM

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #2,339 of 3,599

Quote:
I do not have a sonic preference for closed headphones, no. I have currently two closed (W3000ANV and Ultrasone Ed 8 LE) and two open (LCD–3 and HE-6). The open two are better sounding than the closed two, overall. However, much of my headphone listening requires closed headphones. So I have a NEED for closed, not a preference for them.

Sorry I got it wrong then. Someone well known here on HF (or at least regarded as well known on HF to me about a year ago) semmed to have gone closed cans all the way. I thought it was you but my memory must be fading.
Or I misunderstood and inedde it was your need for closed phones.
Anyway, thanks, your opinion made me make my decision on what to do with the Zana vs. BA and I am talking with Craig about the switch already. Wondeful amps the EC's that are only beat by their creators, Craig and Judi.

Quote:
From my understanding the Zana Deux is the exception to OTL not being good for low impedance headphones.  Craig did some sort of magic to get the impedance down to 3 OHM, not something you typically find in an OTL amp.  The rulle of thumb is the amp impedance times 8 or 10 should be less than the headphone impedance.

Edit:
(amp OHM x 10) < headphone OHM

Thanks for the calculation that is simple to use for me Pyramid.
I think Craig does magic whenever he makes any amp and the Zana is indeed an OTL amp that does very well with low impedance headphones. But according to my first impressions and Craig's own opinion one of his SET amps will still do better.
I found the best SS amp for me and I think with the BA I will have found the best tube amp for me.
Although "for me" are the key words here I think that will apply for many people. I heard what a Zana can do and I'm sitting here with a big smile on my face whatever music I play.   :)

Simply put, I just want the best SS and tube amp and be done with it, and with the Zana I'm pretty near if not already there.

EDIT : edited for some spelling mistakes, sorry if I missed some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back