New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Apr 14, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #2,281 of 3,599

Quote:
Tev, I as well was under the impression the L3000s only did well with rock and more particularly the harder variety.
I never even bothered to try them with large scale orchestral. Will certainly try that tomorrow.

Quote:
Strange, in my experience, their lack of soundstage make the L3000 a very poor choice for large scale orchestral music...

Until recently I too was under the impression that the L3000 were basically rock cans. But I was shocked at how well they portray the big expansive classical stuff. I especially like the way they do Mahler, which is both soloist and expansive at the same time. They have great separation, spatiality, and actually just enough width to be realistic. It's like sitting just a couple of rows back. So many touted classical cans miss the mark with tonal size. These give it to you across the FR! They aren't quite as refined as a good pair of Stax. But among the ATs that I've heard, they're great. And, there is no fatigue from bright recordings!

Anyway, this thread is about the W3000ANVs which are deserving of attention. I was disappointed that the W3000ANV's weren't better for this type of music because they are nicely balanced and have a remarkable soundstage of their own. Of all the AT's I thought these would work better for orchestral.
But, I love them for everything else.

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #2,282 of 3,599
Quote:
Can somebody tell me please why W5000 have
  1. High-quality 8N-OFC (oxygen free copper) voice coils for ultra-efficient signal transfer
  2. Lightweight magnesium alloy frame
And the ATH-W3000ANV have
  1. High-quality 7N-OFC (oxygen free copper) voice coils for ultra-efficient signal transfer, is 7 worst then 8 here?

8N is better than 7N purity, but 7N is excellent so the difference is tiny.
AT consider the W5000 the top of the range.

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #2,283 of 3,599
There's no indication that Audio-Technica considers the W5000 to be their range topping model overall. It's more likely the flagship of their non-limited models only, which includes the W100, W1000, and W1000X. However their limited editions have always stood apart as a concurrent but separate lineup, and in that sense the W2002 was just as much the previous W series flagship until the W3000ANV came along.

The W3000ANV stands as the company's 50th Anniversary statement, and its materials are a composite of many of the former limited editions (hence seemingly "cheeper" materials like plastics used instead of metal). This doesn't mean it ranks below the W5000, however. Nor does the lower model designation.

More likely the two are side-by-side on the top tier of the company's roster: one being non-limited, the other limited.

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #2,284 of 3,599
Loving the W3000ANV. I do notice that for certain recordings it accentuates sibilance where the HD800 does not. And on other recordings it masks sibilance where the HD800 does not. Guess the frequency response isn't nearly as flat as the HD800, but it still sounds a lot better to me than the T1 as I do not find the W3000ANV to have brittle harsh treble. Sometimes I just wish I would go deaf in the treble region more quickly. Then sibilance would not ever be a problem again. :p

The W3000ANV has fantastic bass. Perhaps the sub bass is a little rolled off, but the mid bass is exactly what I was looking for for my j-pop/trance/EDM. And the soundstage is surprisingly good for a closed headphone. Looks like this headphone has very angled drivers and slightly angled cups as well. Pretty cool effect.

So, I do like a lot of my music better on the W3000ANV over the HD800, but on a lot of recordings the HD800 also has its' advantages. I thought I would prefer the HD800 for most acoustic recordings, but it actually just depends on the mood I am in. Not that it matters. Already sold/traded the HD800 to return to the AD2000. I'm tossing headphones back and forth like trading cards lately. The HD800 is fantastic, and I do see myself owning it again, most likely later this year. Perhaps with Sennheiser's new amp that has yet to hit the market.

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #2,285 of 3,599
The HD800 doesn't have enough soul for a lot of music, IMO. I keep getting the impression that the W3000ANV does from what I'm reading and that's why I want to hear it so much.

Quote:
Loving the W3000ANV. I do notice that for certain recordings it accentuates sibilance where the HD800 does not. And on other recordings it masks sibilance where the HD800 does not. Guess the frequency response isn't nearly as flat as the HD800, but it still sounds a lot better to me than the T1 as I do not find the W3000ANV to have brittle harsh treble. Sometimes I just wish I would go deaf in the treble region more quickly. Then sibilance would not ever be a problem again. :p

The W3000ANV has fantastic bass. Perhaps the sub bass is a little rolled off, but the mid bass is exactly what I was looking for for my j-pop/trance/EDM. And the soundstage is surprisingly good for a closed headphone. Looks like this headphone has very angled drivers and slightly angled cups as well. Pretty cool effect.

So, I do like a lot of my music better on the W3000ANV over the HD800, but on a lot of recordings the HD800 also has its' advantages. I thought I would prefer the HD800 for most acoustic recordings, but it actually just depends on the mood I am in. Not that it matters. Already sold/traded the HD800 to return to the AD2000. I'm tossing headphones back and forth like trading cards lately. The HD800 is fantastic, and I do see myself owning it again, most likely later this year. Perhaps with Sennheiser's new amp that has yet to hit the market.

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #2,286 of 3,599
It's all subjective. The W3000ANV colors the sound the way a HD800 never will. Whether that is a good thing or not is up to your preferences. I like what both headphones offer but for the music I have been listening to a lot over the past few years, the W3000ANV gets the advantage. When I think about jazz, it's harder for me to make a choice. They both offer very nice and different flavors for my favorite jazz tunes.

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #2,287 of 3,599

Quote:
The HD800 doesn't have enough soul for a lot of music, IMO. I keep getting the impression that the W3000ANV does from what I'm reading and that's why I want to hear it so much.

You've hit it on the head..... the W3000ANV has SOUL!
It's the single most soulful piece of equipment I've ever heard, other than a really great turntable lash-up.

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #2,288 of 3,599
It's the same reason I love my LCD 2s. They have a nice weight and soul to them. I've never been able to handle analytical or 'thin' sound. 

Quote:
Quote:

You've hit it on the head..... the W3000ANV has SOUL!
It's the single most soulful piece of equipment I've ever heard, other than a really great turntable lash-up.

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #2,290 of 3,599
order placed. So this conversation took place shortly after:

'so, how many headphones do you have now?'

'5, with the new purchase'

'wow, how did we get 5 headphones?'

'well we started off with senn328, then I went for a full size k702, well I bought you a beautiful EWS9, and then I bought HD800 for classical listening

'yeah I remember you sworn HD800 will be your last pair of headphone...

'yeah but...

PS: I end up agreeing to sell one of my headphone. Let's see I can do something to change her mind :p
PSS: I should probably hide my next headphone amp purchase and tell her its a gift from a China friend :p

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #2,291 of 3,599
I am blessed with my wife for many reasons but one imprtant one is that she appreciates I have a passion for my hobbies. She sees the new equipment coming in and don't ask any questions.... I lover even more !!!!

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 16, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #2,292 of 3,599

Quote:
order placed. So this conversation took place shortly after:

'so, how many headphones do you have now?'

'5, with the new purchase'

'wow, how did we get 5 headphones?'

'well we started off with senn328, then I went for a full size k702, well I bought you a beautiful EWS9, and then I bought HD800 for classical listening

'yeah I remember you sworn HD800 will be your last pair of headphone...

'yeah but...

PS: I end up agreeing to sell one of my headphone. Let's see I can do something to change her mind :p
PSS: I should probably hide my next headphone amp purchase and tell her its a gift from a China friend :p

The solution to that is actually very simple: ask her what she prefers, you having multiple headphones or multiple women.  :wink:
2 things need to be done right after that though:
1) duck,
2) hide.

Apr 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #2,294 of 3,599

Users who are viewing this thread

Back