New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Dec 27, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #1,052 of 3,599

Ok, thank you. I just geot worried because I read somewhere that it was dangerous to reverse polarity with step-downs.
But here in Europe you can put a plug in either way, unlike in the US.
Japan doesn't seem to have a grounding plug it seems?

AC polarity "changes" 50 or 60 times per second (50Hz and 60Hz), no worries, it's the same as in Europe. My ORB has a 3-pin plug with ground, but as mentioned, it has an adapter to make it 2-pin so it fits the Churi.

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #1,053 of 3,599
Yep, will just plug it in then.
The thing looks like a bomb though, I wonder how that one got through customs so fast.  
tongue_smile.gif

From another look at the drawing the right cable for the Churi -> amp is provided. And I have heaps of the wall -> Churi cables.
Seems like the AT comes with a "gold wire +6 N triple hybrid power cables specially designed with a combination of wire line + OFC OFC" whatever that may be. Can't be bad if it's made of gold. 
wink_face.gif

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #1,054 of 3,599

AC polarity "changes" 50 or 60 times per second (50Hz and 60Hz), no worries, it's the same as in Europe. My ORB has a 3-pin plug with ground, but as mentioned, it has an adapter to make it 2-pin so it fits the Churi.

If my country is using 220v instead of 110v like the HA5000, will getting a voltage transformer affect the sound greatly?

Don't want to end up getting 50% the performance later...

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #1,055 of 3,599
As far as I heard from asking around here there should be no difference.
We can't try it out with and without the transformer ourselves though, as that would affect the sound permanently, if any sound would be left. 
tongue.gif

Quote:
If my country is using 220v instead of 110v like the HA5000, will getting a voltage transformer affect the sound greatly?
Don't want to end up getting 50% the performance later...

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #1,056 of 3,599

Quote:
Ok, thank you. I just geot worried because I read somewhere that it was dangerous to reverse polarity with step-downs.
But here in Europe you can put a plug in either way, unlike in the US.
Japan doesn't seem to have a grounding plug it seems?

Japan has grounding plugs and the plugs and sockets are often polarised with the positive pin being physically larger than the negative. However, most house/apartment sockets are only 2-pin, sometimes with a ground wire connection point. Due to the proliferation of older, non-polarised sockets, however, equipment is designed not to be dangerous if the polarity is reversed.  Indeed check the instructions for your step-down transformer about polarity. I'd be surprised, personally, if equipment designed to be used in Europe required the correct polarity considering sockets there are reversible very often.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #1,059 of 3,599
About the polarity, with AC it does not matter at all. With DC, it sure does matter and can cause severe damage. I'm an electrician...

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #1,061 of 3,599
Hmm, found this on the web, should be AC thus.

Quote:
But the shape of the socket is only half the story! 
Electrical sockets (outlets) in the Kingdom of Belgium (Koninkrijk België) usually supply electricity at between 220 and 240 volts AC. If you're plugging in an appliance that was built for 220-240 volt electrical input, or an appliance that is compatible with multiple voltages, then an adapter is all you need. 

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #1,062 of 3,599
The mains are AC in every country I think.

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #1,064 of 3,599
My L3000 seems to be stuck in limbo. Both sides of the Atlantic are claiming the other side should know where it is. Tracking stops after it leaves Austria on their side, and on my side it says "origin country is preparing shipment." That was on the 14th.

Seller doesn't seem too concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back