New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Dec 29, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #1,081 of 3,599

Quote:
I don't hear anything in the W3000ANV's characteristics I'd call honky, personally. The W5000 for example can have a certain nasally characteristic on some recordings, but that's not something I'm hearing with the W3000ANV.

Interesting... if you have the W1000X at hand, can you compare the midrange of the W3000ANV with the former so I have a reference point? 

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #1,082 of 3,599

My Onkyo DAC-1000 arrived the other day, and I've taken quite a fancy to it. I plan on auditioning the Fostex HP-A8 when it comes out as well, especially since I'd like an all-in-one solution for my desk.

Get something from ORB instead. xD Loving the combo so much...

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #1,085 of 3,599

Quote:

The Eddie Current "house sound" (if such a thing exists) is pretty dry, extremely detailed, and analytical. That's not to say it's antiseptic or harsh by any means, but that for tube amps they don't have what I'd call a stereotypically "tubey" sound. Now I haven't heard the Balancing Act, but I have heard the ZDT (the 2A3's predecessor) as well as the Nautilus, Zana Deux, and Zana Deux SE. The Zanas are definitely the closest to sounding solid state, but they aren't thin sounding. That's just to say that the source and headphones really come through without the amp being too obtrusive. I think it comes pretty close to "wire with gain" for a tube amp.

The Yammy is kind of the exact opposite. It colors the chain significantly. For some headphones like the W1000 it works, and it works well. For other headphones though it won't mesh well. The other issue with the Yammy is background noise and hum. I've read some reports that say it can be an issue. The Zana Deux by contrast is an ABYSS in terms of background. That's because Craig uses Audio-Technicas to check for noise. Other amps like the Phonitor are going to buzz with Audio-Technicas. Not so with the Zana. I've never heard a single bit of buzz or hiss.

Oh, and the Zana Deux SE drives both ATs and Grados very well imho.

I agree about the ABYSS in terms of background.  My ZDT is so quiet that I can use my custom IEM with it !!  It's actually my best amp for IEMs, followed by my Woo WA6.  The volume pot is amazingly balanced at low volumes with IEM as well as with the WA6.

My ZDT also sounds very similar to the SS Luxman P-1u, FWIW.  But it's not what I would call "tubey sounding" or overly lush, and it's not as analytical as something like my DACmini.  It's very clean and detailed, warm and punchy, spacious with good air and ambience, and not too analytical.  It remains my all time favorite dynamic amp, next to the BA.  It's one of the few amps that makes my HD-800 sound terrific (so does the BA), and at the same time sounds heavenly with my HE-500, LCD-2, HF-2 and LA-7000.  

It's hard to imagine anything that wouldn't sound good with it, but I got rid of my ATH-W11R before I got the ZDT so I can't guess how it would do with the W3000.  It pairs great with my ATH-A900 and ATH-ESW10JPN, but they don't have the typical AT house sound.

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #1,086 of 3,599
I am thinking about the Zana as my last amp as well. It would be nice to have a SET, OTL, and then twe two SS amps I have already.

Quote:

Hrm, it's not on Audiocubes but I've been looking... It doesn't seem like they do sell them separately.

How are you finding the W3000's?

Well, I only listened for an hour and a half fresh out of the box yesterday. FWIW I found there was ample bass for my taste, very detailed highs but not shrill at all and the typical full midrange that I am used to from the W1000X. So I'm pretty happy with it right out of the box.
And ... it's definitely shiny! :)

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #1,087 of 3,599
I've never seen the W5000 or W2002 hard cases available separately as an accessory. I'd think that if any website would stock them, it would be either Audiocubes2 (who doesn't seem to) or the Audio-Technica store in Japan (dunno 'bout that one).

The solution I find works best is homemade. Take a briefcase, smaller travel-trunk, or generic wooden box and some foam. Cut the foam out to resemble the insert they came in, and then line it with nice fabric. Tada. Homemade case.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #1,088 of 3,599

Quote:
I've never seen the W5000 or W2002 hard cases available separately as an accessory. I'd think that if any website would stock them, it would be either Audiocubes2 (who doesn't seem to) or the Audio-Technica store in Japan (dunno 'bout that one).

The solution I find works best is homemade. Take a briefcase, smaller travel-trunk, or generic wooden box and some foam. Cut the foam out to resemble the insert they came in, and then line it with nice fabric. Tada. Homemade case.

Tested the W3000ani at stereo today. The gloss woodie is really making me drool. I did not have a chance to audition long enough as there were quite a few guys waiting for a try. It could be probably a new and limited edition model, hence the crowd and attention. 

But I happened to see that they do have a audio technica briefcase available for sale. Standard headphones size briefcase with luxury red silky cloth in side. Come to think of it.. It looks like a luxurious high-end coffin 
evil_smiley.gif
atsmile.gif

In case you are interested, you can check it out.http://www.stereo.com.sg

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #1,089 of 3,599
Thanks for the advice MuppetFace, but I'm not too good at DIY stuff, would probably be a mess. Maybe I could place an order for them with you?  :wink:

Liplip, thanks for the link, I'm going to send them a mail to see what the price is. The coffin you describe looks like the case of the W5000.

Or maybe this could be something and affordable?

EDIT: the store LipLip mentiod is indeed selling them, the price is 138$. (I guess it's SGD?)
A bit pricey if you want a bunch of them.

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #1,090 of 3,599
Hmm, these phones are turning me into a single headphone guy... I just don't listen to anything else really, except in-ears at work. I thought that I should keep the ATH-W1000X because they have somewhat more full sound, but overall they're far inferior. I don't completely understand people switching between phones because "these have a bass response better suited for this music" for example, or "these bring out the vocals so nicely". That said, I might sell my ATH-W1000X. It's hard to think of what I would be missing.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #1,091 of 3,599

Quote:
Hmm, these phones are turning me into a single headphone guy... I just don't listen to anything else really, except in-ears at work. I thought that I should keep the ATH-W1000X because they have somewhat more full sound, but overall they're far inferior. I don't completely understand people switching between phones because "these have a bass response better suited for this music" for example, or "these bring out the vocals so nicely". That said, I might sell my ATH-W1000X. It's hard to think of what I would be missing.

I am not into multiple headphones because of the reasons you mention but because I like their different characteristics and thus the different flavors they offer.
If cars were priced the same as headphones, I would buy a bunch as well, a convertible for a sunny day, a sportscar for when I feel wild, a luxury sedan for a cold day etc ...
That said, some cans do not fit some genres well. One example, to my ears at least, is the HD800 which I don't like with rock and the HD650 not with classical, but switch them around and they are great.
The W3000 sounds damn good indeed, I've only had it for two days but I like it a lot. And that wood, marvelous!

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #1,092 of 3,599

Quote:
Thanks for the advice MuppetFace, but I'm not too good at DIY stuff, would probably be a mess. Maybe I could place an order for them with you?  :wink:

Liplip, thanks for the link, I'm going to send them a mail to see what the price is. The coffin you describe looks like the case of the W5000.

EDIT: the store LipLip mentiod is indeed selling them, the price is 138$. (I guess it's SGD?)
A bit pricey if you want a bunch of them.

Yes, appleheadMay, it is SGD. It looks similar to the W5000 case.

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #1,093 of 3,599

I am not into multiple headphones because of the reasons you mention but because I like their different characteristics and thus the different flavors they offer.
If cars were priced the same as headphones, I would buy a bunch as well, a convertible for a sunny day, a sportscar for when I feel wild, a luxury sedan for a cold day etc ...
That said, some cans do not fit some genres well. One example, to my ears at least, is the HD800 which I don't like with rock and the HD650 not with classical, but switch them around and they are great.

You just described the thing I don't understand! = ) If I take this further, when I'm listening to music with my headphones, when it's time for something electronic with a nice bass, do I go and sit in my car to listen to it? No, even while I have a 10 inch sub there which sounds great with certain songs. Of course this is a stupid example, I don't believe that many people switch between phones on the fly within a single playlist. I'd assume that one more likely listens to multiple tracks at time suited for the phones of choice.

Of course there is some sort of value in compensating faults or enhancing good things further. But this also makes you unable to hear some of the differences between recordings, which is a value too. While I'm nothing like an analytical listener, I can still appreciate that. Saying that some cans do not fit some genres well; to me that means a bad record or a bad headphone. With good material ATH-W3000ANV is heavenly, with bad it's still good and doesn't make me want anything else. = )

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #1,094 of 3,599
I think a lot of it too depends on how much people are listening to their music and how much they're listening to their headphones. I'll admit that as much as I love music, and as extensive as my music collection is, there are times when it's not about the music for me but rather the headphones themselves. In such cases I do indeed make playlists based on the strengths of a particular headphone or another. I also select a few tracks to "challenge" the weaknesses of said headphone. I want to see if my opinions of those difficulties remain, and if so the extent of them.

One is the enjoyment of art of music, the other is both the enjoyment of the art of headphones and also a detective story.

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #1,095 of 3,599

Quote:

I have a number of those case you listed (5 or 6...., lost count :) ).  Great for most headphones and fairly robust.  But it is a bit too small for something like W3000.
The main body will fit, but it can put some stress on the strain relief (have to be a bit careful when packing the headphones away), which is probably not great for long term.
But for about $30 they are about as good as it get. 
If you do buy them, get multiples in one go, as he essentally charge one large lump of shipping then just a few bucks for each extra one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back