New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Apr 12, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #3,121 of 5,077
M

Thanx. Should have said at the outset that it's already pegged at 100.

Not sure what's going on but from what I've read, it shouldn't be a problem driving the 650's with the DVR.

Hey Koover! Is the volume for the DFR maxxed AND the volume maxxed as well for whatever software application that is running? What software are you using to play audio on your PC? Hardware volume should be at least 95% output on the DFR setting and software volume adjusted as needed in program for harder to drive cans. My hardest to drive headphones (not really hard to drive) are Fostex T40RP and with DFR volume set to 20% they are plenty loud whether playing music from Foobar2K or watching Youtube videos. Just making sure you have ALL volumes up....

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #3,123 of 5,077
M

Not sure what's going on but from what I've read, it shouldn't be a problem driving the 650's with the DVR.

Just wanted to be sure that you have the level at 100% on the device itself in Windows.   Turing up your Player volume to 100% won't give you 100% Real Volume, it will only give you 100% of whatever the Device Level is set to.... 

What player are you using?  Can you try using FOOBAR2000, and select output as the DFR  (Select File,  Then Preferences, Then Output, Then Wasapi (event) DFR...)

This would rule out the player you're using being the problem.

Also, Are you using that 3.5mm adapter cable with the iPhone that is working well?  If so. it's not the adapter cable.  

I'm not an "Apple" user.. so don't 100% understand all ways it can be connected to headphones.   Are you using the DFR with the IPhone?    If yes, then the DFR does seem to be working properly, and then you'd probably be using the same adapter from 3.5mm to your headphones, so that are Ok too. If you're not connected this way, don't follow why you'd need the Lightning cable kit...   Again, I'm not an Apple User...

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #3,124 of 5,077
Got the Dragonfly Red yesterday. This is my first amp and dac. I bough them primarily for laptop use with my Denon AH-D5000. 

First off, the power on this little thing is quite impressive. To reach satisfactory volume on the laptop, I needed 100% in windows and somewhere between 50% and 100% on spotify. For some tracks, 100% wasn't enough even. Now, I'm at 10% - 30% on DFR and 100% on spotify.

As for sound quality, it really did blow me away. I had only ran the D5K unamped and was quite happy with it and didn't really expect too much of an improvement, I just wanted to have an amp because people said it was an improvement to some degree. 

What the DFR did with the sound of the D5K:

- Better clarity
- Better separation
- Better soundstage and imaging
- Tighter bass
- Removed all bass bleed
- More sub bass
- Cleaner treble
- More emotion to mids

Everything just sounds better. I have no idea about this veil some people talk about. I was almost certain that 199$ was a bit steep for this product, but now I think its the other way around. It was a damn steal.

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #3,125 of 5,077
Ok, so I wanted to write a short guide on how to create a volume slider to control the DFR/DFB hardware volume on Android. Especially for people with the DFR, the default hardware volume level set in Android by default is often too low.

Prerequisites: 

Rooted Android Phone
Tasker (on the Play Store)
Termux (on the Play Store)
AlsaMixer (it wasn't on the Play Store for me, but you can download the .apk from other websites)

Summary:

We're going to be creating an icon on the homescreen that when pressed, brings up a slider bar overlay that can be dragged along to adjust the hardware volume. I'm a Tasker noob, so I don't know how to create a widget slider that exists by itself on the homescreen. I'm personally doing this on my Samsung S5 running LineageOS Nougat and the DFR.

Directions:

***Intro and Background***

- plug in the DFR
- open Termux and run these commands:
su
alsa_aplay -l

- you'll get a list of playback devices. It'll be something like:
card 0: ****************
card 1: ****************
card 2: ****************

One of the cards should be labeled DragonFly.if USB OTG detected it properly. In my case, the DragonFly appears as card 1 if I plug in the DFR after Android has already booted. It appears as card 0 if the DFR is connected to the phone already before I've booted into Android. 

Say that the DragonFly is card 1 (c1). If you run:
su
alsa_amixer -c1 set PCM 60%

it will set the hardware volume to 60%. So basically we want to have a slider bar that, when changed, runs the following commands for you.

*** Create a Slider Bar ***

- Open Tasker
- Click the "Scenes" tab. A slider is what Tasker calls a "scene," so we're going to create a new scene that includes a slider.
- Click the "+" icon and give the new scene a name. I called mine "Hardware Volume." Press the checkmark.
- Create a box in which you want the volume slider to appear in. This will actually be overlaid on the homescreen in the final product.
- Click the magnifying glass with "X"
- Long press on the screen to add an element or press the "+" icon.
- Select "Slider" on the menu.
- In the "UI" tab, give it a name, like "Hardware Volume," and set the min to 0 and max to 100 and the default to 50. 
- In the "Value Selected" tab, click the "+" icon and in "Filter" type "shell" and select "Run Shell."
- Under "Command" type this:
su
alsa_amixer -c0 set PCM %new_val%
alsa_amixer -c1 set PCM %new_val%

Ok, so what's happening here is that every time the slider gets moved, the above commands will run. "%new_val" is the name of a variable that Tasker automatically provides as part of the Slider. It's basically the instantaneous value of whatever the slider is set at, between 0 and 100 in our case. So if you draw the Slider to "56," "%new_val" will be "56," so the command would be "alsa_amixer -c1 set PCM 56%." As previously mentioned, these commands change the hardware volume. And since the DragonFly sometimes appears as card 0 and at other times appears as card 1, at least on my S5, I've set it to run the command for BOTH cards. In my case, if the DragonFly is in, say, card 0, running the command for card 1 doesn't affect anything, and vice versa. 

- Checkmark "Use Root"
- Hit the "Action Edit Run Shell" at the upper left to go back.
- Hit the upper left button again.
- Now drag the Slider to where you want it to appear on the screen.
- Once done, hit the upper left button.

Ok, you've finished creating the Slider bar and wiring it up to run the necessary commands when you slide it around. Now you need a way to display it. Oddly enough, Tasker doesn't seem to support simply turning the Slider into a widget and just dragging it onto the homescreen. The only apparent way is to create a button that opens the Slider scene, and to put that *button* on the homescreen.

*** Create a Button to Open the Slider Scene ***

- Open Tasker
- Go to the Tasks tab and hit the "+" icon.
- Create a name for this new task and hit the checkmark. I called mine 'ShowHardwareVolumeSlider'
- Click the "+" icon to add an Action.
- Select "Scene"
- Select "Show Scene"
- Hit the magnifying glass next to "Name" and select your slider scene that you made previously. In my case it's "Hardware Volume."
- "Display As" should be "Activity, Full Window." 
- Hit the upper left button "Action Edit"
- At the bottom right hit the square boxes icon. Select the icon you want for this button that will show the slider. I used the built-in white microphone icon. 

*** Add the Button to the Homescreen ***

- Before you try and add a Tasker widget, Tasker should be shut down. So open Tasker, go to the upper right, and select "Exit."
- Long press on the home screen.
- Select "Widgets"
- Select "Tasker Task 1 x 1" and drag it to the home screen.
- Select your task for opening the slider scene. In my case it's "ShowHardwareVolumeSlider"
- Press the upper left button to go back to the home screen.
- The widget should now appear. Click on it and the slider bar should appear. Slide it around to easily adjust the hardware volume.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #3,126 of 5,077
@fuzzybabybunny -  if you connect the USB DAC after bootup has completed it should show as Card 1, if you attach the USB DAC before bootup it will show as Card 0.

If you use 'appfactory' with Tasker you can turn what you have done into an app. I did something similar but actually created a drop down list with each of my headphones listed and used that to set the volume on a headphone by headphone basis.

It's a good workaround for now, just a pity that it only works on rooted phones.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #3,127 of 5,077
@ fuzzybabybunny

Wow, fantastic!
You should have made an app for that and submit that to aq for $ :) To counter what they said that the mobile phones could not recognize the volume control very well by using a dfb/dfr.
I use a non rooted s7e. It will be great if there is an app that could be made for non rooted users for that.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #3,128 of 5,077
M

Hey Koover! Is the volume for the DFR maxxed AND the volume maxxed as well for whatever software application that is running? What software are you using to play audio on your PC? Hardware volume should be at least 95% output on the DFR setting and software volume adjusted as needed in program for harder to drive cans. My hardest to drive headphones (not really hard to drive) are Fostex T40RP and with DFR volume set to 20% they are plenty loud whether playing music from Foobar2K or watching Youtube videos. Just making sure you have ALL volumes up....

Hey man, how's it going?
Sorry for delayed response, at work.
Yeah, the DFR is maxed out along with the player. I'm wondering if it's the player I'm using. I'm running with the default player for windows 10 which I believe is Realtech.
Will the player play that big of a part on the performance of the DFR and HO 650's?

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #3,129 of 5,077
Just wanted to be sure that you have the level at 100% on the device itself in Windows.   Turing up your Player volume to 100% won't give you 100% Real Volume, it will only give you 100% of whatever the Device Level is set to.... 

What player are you using?  Can you try using FOOBAR2000, and select output as the DFR  (Select File,  Then Preferences, Then Output, Then Wasapi (event) DFR...)

This would rule out the player you're using being the problem.

Also, Are you using that 3.5mm adapter cable with the iPhone that is working well?  If so. it's not the adapter cable.  

I'm not an "Apple" user.. so don't 100% understand all ways it can be connected to headphones.   Are you using the DFR with the IPhone?    If yes, then the DFR does seem to be working properly, and then you'd probably be using the same adapter from 3.5mm to your headphones, so that are Ok too. If you're not connected this way, don't follow why you'd need the Lightning cable kit...   Again, I'm not an Apple User...

I'm using the default windows 10 player which is Real tech. Everyone keeps mentioning Foobar so I need to install this player.
For the IPhone, I am using the lightning camera kit because there was a lot of talk and feedback that people were having trouble with the regular camera kit. So instead of chancing it, I just spent a few extra bucks and it works flawlessly. The 650's are driven so much better on the IPhone compared to my PC so I'm now thinking after all the feedback I'm getting from you guys that it must be the player.
I'll install Foorbar2000 tonight or tomorrow and see if that works.
Thanks a lot you guys for assisting a amp/DAC virgin iwith my issues. It's appreciated.

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #3,130 of 5,077
@ fuzzybabybunny

Wow, fantastic!
You should have made an app for that and submit that to aq for $ :) To counter what they said that the mobile phones could not recognize the volume control very well by using a dfb/dfr.
I use a non rooted s7e. It will be great if there is an app that could be made for non rooted users for that.
Cheers!

This isn't the fix that solves all volume issues, but Precise Volume does help mitigate that massive volume jump between steps 14 and 15 in native Android volume control. Beyond DFR fine tuning it's also great with sensitive IEMs that can be too loud or too quiet between volume steps. Now Ira Glass is no longer screaming at me on the subway.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phascinate.precisevolume

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #3,131 of 5,077
@ spiderhan
I've just tested that precise volume app, it doesn't add any increase in volume with my HD600 + s7e + dfr + tidal Or perhaps should I pay the pro version?

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #3,132 of 5,077
@ spiderhan
I've just tested that precise volume app, it doesn't add any increase in volume with my HD600 + s7e + dfr + tidal Or perhaps should I pay the pro version?

No no. Don't buy it if your intention is to increase volume output. It will not do that for you. For the HD600 it is USB Audio Player Pro or bust. Precise Volume is for people getting too loud a volume at max and too little volume a step below max.

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #3,133 of 5,077
@ spiderhan

No no. Don't buy it if your intention is to increase volume output. It will not do that for you. For the HD600 it is USB Audio Player Pro or bust. Precise Volume is for people getting too loud a volume at max and too little volume a step below max.

Cheers for that!
I always use UAPP all this time.. Just wondering if there is a new update on the workaround for the volume issues in Android.. :)

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #3,134 of 5,077
I'm using the default windows 10 player which is Real tech. Everyone keeps mentioning Foobar so I need to install this player.
For the IPhone, I am using the lightning camera kit because there was a lot of talk and feedback that people were having trouble with the regular camera kit. So instead of chancing it, I just spent a few extra bucks and it works flawlessly. The 650's are driven so much better on the IPhone compared to my PC so I'm now thinking after all the feedback I'm getting from you guys that it must be the player.
I'll install Foorbar2000 tonight or tomorrow and see if that works.
Thanks a lot you guys for assisting a amp/DAC virgin iwith my issues. It's appreciated.

Foobar2K is a great and free player, with a ton of other functionality..    However, it's a bit of a pain to set up the first time...  (Though l use it, for me there was a lack of instructions on how to set it up.  Kind of learned as I tried...)

See if your current audio player has any "properties" or "Settings" and see if an audio or output setting might be set to limit volume in some way.  (Was that a vague but informative sentence???hahaha)   Anyway, your player might have a setting that can increase volume output...  Sorry, I have Win 10  but not that player "Real tech" that you mention.

Update Suggestion:  If you have Windows Audio Player (Default win 10 player)...  Go to Control panel......  to Manage Audio Devices.. Set the DFR as Default.    Play your music through Win Audio Player and it should give full volume.     Just tried this on my PC...     Note that all error tones, etc will now come through the headphones...  NOTE, for me I can't get better than 16/44 through to the DFR with Windows Audio Player  (DFR stays magenta even with high res)

(If you use Foobar2K and leave your standard audio driver as default, you'll only get clean foobar2k music through your headphones.  no other stuff. And can get all bit rates the DFR can handle...)

Pete

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #3,135 of 5,077
  Foobar2K is a great and free player, with a ton of other functionality..    However, it's a bit of a pain to set up the first time...  (Though l use it, for me there was a lack of instructions on how to set it up.  Kind of learned as I tried...)

See if your current audio player has any "properties" or "Settings" and see if an audio or output setting might be set to limit volume in some way.  (Was that a vague but informative sentence???hahaha)   Anyway, your player might have a setting that can increase volume output...  Sorry, I have Win 10  but not that player "Real tech" that you mention.

Update Suggestion:  If you have Windows Audio Player (Default win 10 player)...  Go to Control panel......  to Manage Audio Devices.. Set the DFR as Default.    Play your music through Win Audio Player and it should give full volume.     Just tried this on my PC...     Note that all error tones, etc will now come through the headphones...  NOTE, for me I can't get better than 16/44 through to the DFR with Windows Audio Player  (DFR stays magenta even with high res)

(If you use Foobar2K and leave your standard audio driver as default, you'll only get clean foobar2k music through your headphones.  no other stuff. And can get all bit rates the DFR can handle...)

Pete

Hideeho
I'm pretty sure "realtech" is an Asus thing, not a win10 thing. It is an overlay to change audio settings & manage inputs/ouputs. I still use it to manage my mod mic, but disable everything else in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back