New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Apr 12, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #3,136 of 5,077
I purchased a DFB 3 months ago, and I was not very impressed by its performance for playback out of my wife's windows 10 laptop (when allowed). I am using the tidal app for desktops. The sound was a bit unrefined to my ears (kind of shouty and forward sounding), even when plugged into a jitterbug. For reference, the Meridian Explorer 2 sounds much better to my ears on the same computer (better separation, smoother, and generally a more refined sound). 

Another big issue for me on the laptop was volume control. For some reasons (too much gain ?), I can only use 6% to 10% of the master volume setting before getting a sound which is too loud from my headphones, despite not being extremely sensitives (Beyerdynamic DT250-80ohms and Sony MDR7520 rated at 108dB/mw). I haven't seen this commented too much in this thread, but this has been a serious issue for me. Even more problematic was the "bug" with the tidal app, which would reset the volume at 100% everytime I would manually stop the music and restart or unplug/replug the DFB... At 100% volume setting playback, I can safely say that I would have gone completely deaf and killed both drivers. This made it obviously very difficult to relax and enjoy music on the laptop for me. I am surprised nobody reported a similar behaviour with their DFB.

However, I also decided to purchase a dragontail to try the DFB as a portable dac/amp for my LG G3, based on the many positive feedback posted here. Again, using the tidal app, nothing fancy, just looking for convenience. I had no previous experience in "portable" set ups. And I have to admit I was not prepared for this...I am actually blown away at the quality of the playback with this combination. I need to do some serious a/b comparison with my main set up (Audio gd NFB28) because my brain is confused at the moment by the information it is receiving :)

Another bonus is that volume setting is very smooth from the phone, listening at aprox 50% of max volume. So unlike many comments here, the volume setting of the DFB works very well for me in this configuration. The DFB lights green (44khz) when playing back the tidal app with android native usb drivers I assume. I was under the impression that all playback was upsampled through Android, but this does not seem to be the case here, or maybe I am confused ?

Anyway, this has been quite a dramatic discovery for me and I can now thoroughly enjoy my DFB. This convergence of good sound and portability/convenience does strike me as true innovation. Very happy with this purchase now. 

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #3,138 of 5,077
I run a windows laptop through a USB cleanup chain to a DFR - using JRiver.  Tonight i installed the Windows 10 update (creators update) with the new USB Audio 2.0 internal drivers.  Well I noticed the DFR is still using the same WASAPI driver....but the sound i'm hearing is markedly better. Just better - more fine details, more bass.  I know this is real since i played the same songs the previous night.  So either Microsoft has tweaked the audio subsystem or AudioQuest included an update as well.  Either way, its worthwhile to install it !

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #3,139 of 5,077
Really really happy with my DFB 1.5!
The most common pairing is with my iphone 7 & customart ei.3 but have also used it from my iphone 7 to my sony X55 speaker via aux.

One thing I have noticed is sometimes if I am using the phone while music is playing, the music may start "lagging" - a quick removal of the DFB and reconnecting it fixes it but I found that the only "odd" aspect of using the device - overall, its fantastic.

Apr 13, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #3,140 of 5,077
@fuzzybabybunny
 -  if you connect the USB DAC after bootup has completed it should show as Card 1, if you attach the USB DAC before bootup it will show as Card 0.

If you use 'appfactory' with Tasker you can turn what you have done into an app. I did something similar but actually created a drop down list with each of my headphones listed and used that to set the volume on a headphone by headphone basis.

It's a good workaround for now, just a pity that it only works on rooted phones.

Yeah, the requirement to root really sucks.

How does the hardware volume with USB Audio Player Pro work? Does UAPP's hardware volume settings only work for rooted phones as well, or have they somehow found a way to code their app to adjust the hardware volume without needing root?

Apr 13, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #3,141 of 5,077
Also, just to clarify, when you set the PCM volume level with alsamixer, you're actually controlling the volume level of the DragonFly right? As in, you're sending commands directly to the chip inside the DragonFly to increase its own volume output?

Apr 13, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #3,142 of 5,077
Yeah, the requirement to root really sucks.

How does the hardware volume with USB Audio Player Pro work? Does UAPP's hardware volume settings only work for rooted phones as well, or have they somehow found a way to code their app to adjust the hardware volume without needing root?
no UAPP does not require root. The program has its own drivers that when enabled route all sound through the software, bypassing all android audio software which, when initiated, causes other players to cease to play audio. Example: you initiate UAPP, then go to YouTube, no sound will play. You will have to disconnect your dad for media volume to be reenabled.

Apr 13, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #3,143 of 5,077
Also, just to clarify, when you set the PCM volume level with alsamixer, you're actually controlling the volume level of the DragonFly right? As in, you're sending commands directly to the chip inside the DragonFly to increase its own volume output?
Using always mixer and the specified commands you are directly controlling the volume of the dragonfly, which is why the volume commands recognized are 1-64 for the red, as there are 64 volume steps

Apr 13, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #3,144 of 5,077
@fuzzybabybunny - the developers of UAPP have found a way to bypass Android audio and use their own USB drivers meaning there is no need for root. When you use ALSA you are interacting direct with the Dragonfly hardware volume; you have probably noticed that the normal Android volume continues to control the volume at a software level as well but the hardware setting changes the range of control.

Apr 13, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #3,145 of 5,077
Hello!
I have a DF Black 1.5 and using it with Tidal on an Iphone 7.
I find that the lowest volume setting is too loud - I like listening while falling asleep (!) Is there any way of adjusting this, perhaps with an IOS app that integrates Tidal?
Any ideas much appreciated.

Apr 13, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #3,146 of 5,077
Hello!
I have a DF Black 1.5 and using it with Tidal on an Iphone 7.
I find that the lowest volume setting is too loud - I like listening while falling asleep (!) Is there any way of adjusting this, perhaps with an IOS app that integrates Tidal?
Any ideas much appreciated.

I was able to get to 4 bars on an iPhone 5s with a pair of Sennheiser Momentum2. I haven't heard of any software that integrates Tidal on iOS. What headphones do you use?

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #3,148 of 5,077
Hi Gonzbull, thank you for the reply. I am using Campfire Audio Lyra II...
Great combination that sounds amazing I just want finer control over the volume at low levels...
I understand your dilemma. IOS sets dac volume at 100% which is fine, however having only 16 volume steps to cover that full spectrum of dragonfly, combined with sensitive iems equals no room for fine tuning

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #3,149 of 5,077
Hi,

My first post here, but I have lurked for a while.

Hello all :)

Anyway, the reason for the post is just to add details of my correspondence with AQ regarding the long awaited software update needed to remedy the low volume issue on Android.
Sadly I will be asking Amazon to take the dragonfly red dac, jitterbug & dragontail back, which is a shame, but with no robust ETA to resolution, I will buy another dac.

Me:

Can you please tell me when the Dragonfly desktop software will be released?  I have seen comments on different forums indicating it was due in March.  I am hoping it will fix the low audio volume of my device whilst using it with Android 7 as at the moment it is too low to be usable?

AQ:

Quote:
The new firmware for Android is ready, but we’re still waiting for Microsoft to approve the update program for Windows. If they don’t approve/certify it, most computers won’t run it.

As for MQA, it’s all down to Tidal. They haven’t managed to get their version of streaming for renderers correct yet. MQA are working directly with Tidal to try and get this finished.

Best regards,

Alasdair Patrick

Me:

Thanks for the reply, is their an ETA for Microsoft to do what they need to do, ie does this tend to take days or weeks or longer?  I’ve seen posts on forums to suggest this software has been in the pipeline since last year, so I am wondering whether I need to sell this dac on & buy another or wait.

This seems to be affecting a number of people & there is some noise on forums that I have come across, if you’re waiting on other people or companies can this not be escalated to provide a robust ETA for your customers?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/805832/new-dragonfly-black-and-red-discussion/2865#post_13321367
http://www.head-fi.org/t/805832/new-dragonfly-black-and-red-discussion/2970#post_13380835
http://www.head-fi.org/t/805832/new-dragonfly-black-and-red-discussion/2700#post_13259836

I purchased this solely to use on my HTC M9 & got about a weeks use out of it before the phone upgrading to Android 7 left the volume too low to use.

The Tidal issue doesn’t affect me I don’t use it.

AQ:

Unfortunately we do not have any timeframe for this at the moment.  This is not something that can be escalated.  All third party software development has to go through the same certification process.

Respectfully,

Alex Mejia 

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #3,150 of 5,077
@fuzzybabybunny
 - the developers of UAPP have found a way to bypass Android audio and use their own USB drivers meaning there is no need for root. When you use ALSA you are interacting direct with the Dragonfly hardware volume; you have probably noticed that the normal Android volume continues to control the volume at a software level as well but the hardware setting changes the range of control.

I wonder if it's possible to write a driver like UAPP has done, only make it accessible for use systemwide instead of just inside the app.

Anything that attempts to control ALSA would need root access, huh?

So dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back