New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Apr 13, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #3,151 of 5,077
Hi,

My first post here, but I have lurked for a while.

Hello all :)

Anyway, the reason for the post is just to add details of my correspondence with AQ regarding the long awaited software update needed to remedy the low volume issue on Android.
Sadly I will be asking Amazon to take the dragonfly red dac, jitterbug & dragontail back, which is a shame, but with no robust ETA to resolution, I will buy another dac.

Me:

Can you please tell me when the Dragonfly desktop software will be released?  I have seen comments on different forums indicating it was due in March.  I am hoping it will fix the low audio volume of my device whilst using it with Android 7 as at the moment it is too low to be usable?

AQ:

Me:

Thanks for the reply, is their an ETA for Microsoft to do what they need to do, ie does this tend to take days or weeks or longer?  I’ve seen posts on forums to suggest this software has been in the pipeline since last year, so I am wondering whether I need to sell this dac on & buy another or wait.

This seems to be affecting a number of people & there is some noise on forums that I have come across, if you’re waiting on other people or companies can this not be escalated to provide a robust ETA for your customers?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/805832/new-dragonfly-black-and-red-discussion/2865#post_13321367
http://www.head-fi.org/t/805832/new-dragonfly-black-and-red-discussion/2970#post_13380835
http://www.head-fi.org/t/805832/new-dragonfly-black-and-red-discussion/2700#post_13259836

I purchased this solely to use on my HTC M9 & got about a weeks use out of it before the phone upgrading to Android 7 left the volume too low to use.

The Tidal issue doesn’t affect me I don’t use it.

AQ:
So I guess rooting isn't an option for you?

Apr 13, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #3,153 of 5,077
On my phone with Android 7 I'm using Alsa and scripter to set 100% volume on DFR, then controlling it with music software. My problem is incoming notifications are darn loud, I would guess they are staying on those max volume somehow, instead of scaling with my volume setting. Any way to fix that? Till now I just go vibrations only when listening to music...

Gesendet von meinem SM-N910F mit Tapatalk

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #3,154 of 5,077
On my phone with Android 7 I'm using Alsa and scripter to set 100% volume on DFR, then controlling it with music software. My problem is incoming notifications are darn loud, I would guess they are staying on those max volume somehow, instead of scaling with my volume setting. Any way to fix that? Till now I just go vibrations only when listening to music...

Gesendet von meinem SM-N910F mit Tapatalk
check your volume settings. Android has call, notification, and media volumes that can all be set at different levels. Seeing that you are setting the DAC volume to 100%, all audio is going to be amplified, so the best thing to do would be to lower the notification volume to say, 1 and see what that sounds like over your headphones

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #3,155 of 5,077
While in Hong Kong the past week I demoed Audioquest's DragonFlys with my H6s and I was actually extremely impressed... surprisingly so and bought one! Very powerful and quiet amps.

To my ears there wasn't a huge difference between the Red and Black using my H6s.  I ended up buying the Black with the Jitterbug and not the Red model as I preferred the Black DragonFly's slightly darker/softer (more mellow?) sound signature and lower volume control... it was much easier to fine tune and adjust to a lower volume than on the Red which was much, much louder due to its higher amp output.  So I saved myself some money choosing the black variant over the red one as I hadn't quite realized there was a dramatic price difference between the two!  :)

I listened to another Audeze Deckard (my H6s sounded as great as they did on another one a few weeks back) and when comparing with the DragonFlys I honestly couldn't pinpoint any major improvement with the Deckard so I am definitely pleased with that revelation.  I guess my H6s just needed a little bit more juice to deepen (tighten up) the bass and expand/broaden the sound stage and timbre... anything beyond the DragonFly Black level is simply overkill.  All in all I now have a perfect home and portable headphone dac/amp solution! 

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #3,156 of 5,077
been using the red since it released. After Canjam, went through some of my old equipment and threw this together. My new goto rig. Love using the Dfr as a preamp. The e11 is an oldy but goody and works perfectly as a portable with my V-moda CF2W. At home u unplug the fiio and connect this to my Cayin C5 and Akg Q701 modded cans. Looking to get a Schiit Valhalla tube amp for home later this year. With all I just wrote, Dragonfly Red is the constant in all this, my go-to DAC,away or home.

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #3,157 of 5,077
A guy I know was curious about buying my Geek Out 450 to use in place of or to complement his Dragonfly Black. He wanted to know the difference between them so I did a shootout for him so he could know the difference. 

Geek Out wins at tonality, smoothness, body/weight, and overall enjoyability. It envelops you and is really engaging. 

Dragonfly wins at soundstage and detail. Soundstage is further back and not as "in your face". However, it sounds slightly harsh/bright and digital and I got a headache listening to it tonight for an extended period. 

What do I pick? The Geek Out 450. The Dragonfly Black is great for portable purposes but that's kind of about it (for me). Overall, bang for the buck: Dragonfly wins. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #3,158 of 5,077
  A guy I know was curious about buying my Geek Out 450 to use in place of or to complement his Dragonfly Black. He wanted to know the difference between them so I did a shootout for him so he could know the difference. 

Geek Out wins at tonality, smoothness, and overall enjoyability. It envelops you and is really engaging. 

Dragonfly wins at soundstage and detail. Soundstage is further back and not as "in your face". However, it sounds slightly harsh/bright and digital and I got a headache listening to it tonight for an extended period. 

What do I pick? The Geek Out 450. The Dragonfly Black is great for portable purposes but that's kind of about it (for me). Overall, bang for the buck: Dragonfly wins. 

Definitely concur on the soundstage and imaging... the DragonFlys have excellent timbre.  Which headphones were you using for the shootout?  Thankfully I am not experiencing any fatigue with my Black + H6s as I am usually sensitive and prone to fatigue.

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #3,159 of 5,077
Geekout runs very hot. Not so for black. It's A lot less taxing on your comp or device. Thought that's worth mentioning.

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #3,160 of 5,077
  Definitely concur on the soundstage and imaging... the DragonFlys have excellent timbre.  Which headphones were you using for the shootout?  Thankfully I am not experiencing any fatigue with my Black + H6s as I am usually sensitive and prone to fatigue.

I was using ATH-m40x for the comparisons. This was the first time I had ever done an extended listening session with my Dragonfly. I usually just use it for tooling around the store or if I'm somewhere for a bit and need something to listen to from the phone (using V-Moda XS/M-100). I use the Geek Out stuff for everything else (stereo, headphones at the desk, etc.). 

Also, I thought the Geek Out had more body/weight to the music than the Dragonfly. The Dragonfly was pretty thin sounding in comparison. 

Geekout runs very hot. Not so for black. It's A lot less taxing on your comp or device. Thought that's worth mentioning.

Yeah, the design of the Dragonfly definitely wins. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #3,162 of 5,077
My Dragonfly Red feels a little loose like how you describe however not as bad. You can't hear it rattle if you shake it. Doesn't affect performance. It's been like this since the day I got it.

My Dragonfly Black is completely solid and doesnt move or rattle.

It's probably the manufacturing tolerances/ poor QC however it's not gonna affect performance.

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #3,163 of 5,077
will the dragonfly black power a pair of hifiman he400i's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back