New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Apr 16, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #3,181 of 5,077
My USB2 CCK still works on my old iPhone 6 - model no. A1440 FW 1.0.0 and HW 1.0.0 so I don't think it is so clear cut what works and what does not. Sometimes with the USB2 CCK, I do get the occasional interference hence I also have a USB3 CCK that I have not updated.

A1440 which is the original CCK2 appears to work. A1441 which is CCK2 v2 doesn't. My v2 version actually works perfect for a couple of mins and then the "device unsupported" pops up and it stops working until I restart my phone.

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #3,182 of 5,077
A1440 which is the original CCK2 appears to work. A1441 which is CCK2 v2 doesn't. My v2 version actually works perfect for a couple of mins and then the "device unsupported" pops up and it stops working until I restart my phone.

Wow that is really strange; that the older version works. Anyway hope you get it sorted out soon.

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #3,183 of 5,077
Wow that is really strange; that the older version works. Anyway hope you get it sorted out soon.

Your avatar says it all! I've just been using the analog out on my phone since the problem. I've given up on the CCk. I'm going to get another cable that works and is much sturdier but also very expensive. Hence the delay. Thanks for the well wishes.

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #3,184 of 5,077
Another thing to bear in mind is that since iOS 10.3 a lot of people have been experiencing problems with USB audio devices in general.

I have an Oppo HA-2 as well. Lots of problem reports with 10.3.x. Fortunately I read a couple and didn't update.  And the Oppo was MFI certified.

I don't think Apple can leave things in this condition - with two apparently identical Apple made products behaving differently (and the newer one failing) and MFI certified products no longer working.

But maybe I'm naive.

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #3,185 of 5,077
I have an Oppo HA-2 as well. Lots of problem reports with 10.3.x. Fortunately I read a couple and didn't update.  And the Oppo was MFI certified.

I don't think Apple can leave things in this condition - with two apparently identical Apple made products behaving differently (and the newer one failing) and MFI certified products no longer working.

But maybe I'm naive.

But maybe I'm naive.

No, you're not naive I'm the one who truly am. Another trait I have right now is im p!$$ed off.
Is there another adaptor other then the CCK that's compatible with the DFR?

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #3,187 of 5,077
Do these work with google music through USB OTG ?

Yes. You'll need to download UAAP and BubbleUPnP.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/805832/new-dragonfly-black-and-red-discussion/1440#post_12794725
  I stand corrected. I only had a few minutes to play with BubbleUPnP before I had to work yesterday. lombardox is right. You get full UAPP functionality while using BubbleUPnP. I just hadn't come to grips to properly using the new software yet.

The proper steps are:

1) Connect Dragonfly to device
2) Allow USB Audio Player Pro to access device
3) Press the 3 dot menu and select "Start UPnP renderer
4) Open BubbleUPnP
5) Select UAPP as local renderer
6) Enjoy newfound streaming goodness.

I was missing a step there when I first started playing with it, but everything works as it should.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #3,189 of 5,077
  anyone know if it is ok to leave the dragonfly attached to the PC 24/7 ?

I have for more than a week now and a few others have mentioned that they have for much longer and with no ill results.  Also, if I am not grossly mistaken AQ says it is fine to leave plugged in.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #3,190 of 5,077
anyone know if it is ok to leave the dragonfly attached to the PC 24/7 ?

I don't see a problem with that - it's certainly far less likely to fail than the hard disks I've got running on my server 24/7. There's also anecdotal evidence to suggest that the DFs perform at their best when warmed up, but then again I've never noticed my DFR even remotely getting warm when in use.

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #3,191 of 5,077
been using the red since it released. After Canjam, went through some of my old equipment and threw this together. My new goto rig. Love using the Dfr as a preamp. The e11 is an oldy but goody and works perfectly as a portable with my V-moda CF2W. At home u unplug the fiio and connect this to my Cayin C5 and Akg Q701 modded cans. Looking to get a Schiit Valhalla tube amp for home later this year. With all I just wrote, Dragonfly Red is the constant in all this, my go-to DAC,away or home.

How do you keep it all together? Velcro?

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #3,192 of 5,077
That means your volume level is a lot lower than what you'd get on PC. The Dragonfly has a sharp increase in volume level at 100% because it switches to line level mode. Anything lower than that is designed for powering headphones. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #3,195 of 5,077
As I got a new iPhone 7 recently I tried out my DFB 1.5 with the cck 3.0 on latest iOS 10.3.1 and it seemed to work fine.  Another nice feature is, unlike on the older cck and iPhone 5, it doesn't seem to power down causing a crunching sound when on pause for say 3-5 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back