New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Apr 8, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #3,091 of 5,077
has anyone try apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter and the regular one side by side ? my DFR works fine with the regular one ( no static etc )  but if the USB3.0 one really sounds better like Audioquest 's claim , i don't mind switching to the 3.0 - listen to music + charging at the same time is pretty convenient 

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #3,092 of 5,077
Thank you @Slaphead. It's largely because of you I went back to a flat eq after a couple of decades of bloated bass and profiles. Can't thank you enough for that. Bit perfect on UAPP is a dream :blush:

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #3,093 of 5,077
has anyone try apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter and the regular one side by side ? my DFR works fine with the regular one ( no static etc )  but if the USB3.0 one really sounds better like Audioquest 's claim , i don't mind switching to the 3.0 - listen to music + charging at the same time is pretty convenient 
There is a difference, I believe I can hear one, the USB3 one seems a little bit smoother up top, but to be fair, we're pretty much splitting hairs here - and if being conducted under a formal blind A/B test, I think anyone would be hard pushed to get this consistently right (my test just now has been with simple acoustic music - would be harder to pick up with busier tracks IMHO)...

Don't lose any sleep over it - other than if the pops / crackles on the USB2 version are intrusive (not everyone picks up on them as is your case, or has them in the signal path to begin with)

[Edit] - One downside of the USB3 version is the thicker cable - the USB2 version can easily fold over on itself (so the DF sits flush on the back of the phone, and is still pocket friendly) - The USB3 version, being a thicker cable, not so (for jeans anyway)... suitably depicted below:

...Oh, and I tried to play the USB2 out of the USB3 (as shown above) - didn't work :p

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #3,094 of 5,077
Can anyone help me get the best sound of my setup? iPhone SE > Tidal HiFi / Spotify > Apple usb3 > DFB > Headphones...

I see a lot of people talking about third part apps and bit perfect stuff to improve the sound on android phones, how does that works on iOS? Is iOS just plug and play or should i do something different? Sorry but im a complete noob!

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #3,095 of 5,077
Yes, iOS is plug and play. For hi res music I definitely recommend Korg's iAudiogate or VOX for music playback, both have modern design and a lot of useful features with basically every hi-res format compatibility. iAudiogate has more settings for audiophiles though

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #3,097 of 5,077
  Yes, iOS is plug and play. For hi res music I definitely recommend Korg's iAudiogate or VOX for music playback, both have modern design and a lot of useful features with basically every hi-res format compatibility. iAudiogate has more settings for audiophiles though

Thanks man! What about Mac? Same as iphone? Plug and play? and what app for hi-res music? 

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #3,098 of 5,077
@ jegnyc Thank you for your response

I have another question regarding the DFR..
I'm considering to buy a warm and lay back sound signature headphones since imho the DFR amp sounds bright and neutral across frequencies.. It was compared with my other reference iem.
Could anyone confirm this sound signature or have different experiences?
Just wondering if some of you have another different amps to test with..

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi, does anyone have any thoughts on this? If not, I probably should ask people in a specific headphones thread because I'm going to get the new headphones on Monday.. :)

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #3,100 of 5,077
Hi, does anyone have any thoughts on this? If not, I probably should ask people in a specific headphones thread because I'm going to get the new headphones on Monday.. :)

I use Audio Technica M50x as my daily headphones for these. So far so good.

For desktop i pair this a schiit vali amp for warmth and hd600.

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #3,101 of 5,077

I use Audio Technica M50x as my daily headphones for these. So far so good.

For desktop i pair this a schiit vali amp for warmth and hd600.

Could you please describe the sq when using dfr + AT M50X compared to hd600?
For the simplicity sake, only on high and low frequencies response..
And which one is warmer or a bit rolled of in high frequencies for you?

Cheers,

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #3,104 of 5,077
10.3.1... Can play quite happily for extended periods - with or without the jitterbug attached (which was a question posed to me -if the jitterbug made a positive difference)

Version 10.3.1 (14E304) if there are regional variations or otherwise - and, the CCK (USB2) that I'm using is one of the very original ones from when they were first released - if that may make a difference.

To confirm the above...

Hi Duncan,

My CCK2 is version A1441 and it's no longer supported.

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #3,105 of 5,077
Hi Duncan,

My CCK2 is version A1441 and it's no longer supported.
Wonder if that is a consistent thing then, that A1440 is ok but A1441 is not?

Hopefully others can chime in with their CCK version, and if working or not.

Either way, I would hope iOS 10.3.2 will resolve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back