New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jan 2, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #2,341 of 5,077
​Maybe it doesn't work well with power-hungry cans, but it works great with IEMs and its sound quality (to my ears) is on par with the original ak120. I'm using mine with old Apple cck and iPhone 6s+ and haven't heard a single click or pop. I wonder why some experience it and others do not?

Yeah. Mine us super loud with my Angies. I run it at around 30% volume. To suggest a blanket don't buy is just silly.

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #2,342 of 5,077
Yeah. Mine us super loud with my Angies. I run it at around 30% volume. To suggest a blanket don't buy is just silly.

Completely agree with zerolight. The amount of erroneous information, hearsay and pure speculation is unsettling.
There is no substitute for extensive and repeated hands-on testing (I confess to being a scientist in my day to day job).

The DFR is way more than loud enough with my 'difficult to drive' Sennheiser HD600 headphones for classical, jazz, rock music, and I am unable to discern any loss of dynamics on these platforms:
Windows 10 desktop
Windows 10 tablet on battery power
Ipad Air
Xiaomi Mi4S phone Android 5.1 running Onkyo HF Player or UAPP.
Lenovo A10-70 tablet Android 5.1 running Onkyo HF Player or UAPP.

However, I definitely agree that the volume is too soft with Android stock or other music players that don't have a proper USB driver.

Jan 2, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #2,343 of 5,077
My Dragonfly Red is way more than loud enough for my Focal Elear and even the Beyer T1.2.  People who say that they need more power must be listening at extremely loud and potentially dangerous levels.  In Windows 10, with my Elear, I usually listen with the master volume set around 10-12.  With the T1.2, I usually never go above 20.  

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #2,345 of 5,077
Hi!
Today I picked up my new Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016), to connect to my dragonfly black 1.5. The OTG-cable is a proper cable as well.
Plug and play it did not work with Spotify, or the default player.
I checked with all the OTG tools i could find. All seem to work. It gets the name of the device as well.

People adviced me to get UAPP, which worked great. I even made a Tidal account to check if that worked. It did.
Now the problem is that I use spotify alot, and cannot afford streaming Tidal all day, which I would like to be in lossless format.
Are there any new ways I can try to fix this? Ive read through most of this thread, without finding any solution. Does anyone have a checklist?

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #2,346 of 5,077
Looking at DFR but am concerned about the volume steps coming out of my iPhone. I will be using my HP50's. Anyone out there using it this way???

I use it with Angies which are quite sensitive. I use it on 4 or 5 out of 16 on the iPhone. You can also use the slider instead of the buttons to get a more granular in between blocks volume step. I'd prefer an option to get more steps out of the phone, but it's not a deal breaker.

Jan 3, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #2,347 of 5,077
I currently have chord mojo, planning to sell it off. Is the DragonFly Red a good choice if I'm looking for something smaller and cheaper. I don't want any batteries involved because I don't need them. I won't be carrying them around with my phone, will just use with my laptop at home. Is there any other devices like dragonfly red that are competitively priced? or any better models? Thanks.

Keep the mojo, I was surprisingly disappointed in the dfr after all the write ups. It has a very poor low end, sounds thin and bright for my personal taste. I'd try the dfr before selling the mojo. Good luck.

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #2,348 of 5,077
Keep the mojo, I was surprisingly disappointed in the dfr after all the write ups. It has a very poor low end, sounds thin and bright for my personal taste. I'd try the dfr before selling the mojo. Good luck.

What headphones were you running it off? It's neither thin nor bright with my Angies. It subtly cleared up the bass a little bit, but didn't make it less powerful.

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #2,349 of 5,077

Any of You people compared Audioengine D3 to Dragonfly Red ?

I am running both units this evening A-B, and very suprisingly (to me) found Audioengine D3 to be soundwise superior, faster, airier, livelier.
Bouncy and lively bottom end in comparison.

To my ears (admittedly with Denon AH-MM400, bassy cans - to my AKG K701 ears) Dragonfly Red does Not sound thin or bright in comparison, it does not lack the amount in bass, nor weight. It is just less lively, more laid back, less expansive in comparison, less dynamic. It feels somehow more narrow as well. Less air by a good margine in comparison to D3.

Biggest advantage with the Dragonfly Red with IDevices might be that it only requires Camera Lightning Cable, so the phone can be charged at the same time. D3 can run of the Iphone only with usb hub as power source, according to Audioengine.

So, for mobile purposes - Dragonfly, as far as I know (do correct me here), but soundwise, to my ears, Audioengine, with same source material of the MacBook Pro Retina.

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #2,350 of 5,077
What headphones were you running it off? It's neither thin nor bright with my Angies. It subtly cleared up the bass a little bit, but didn't make it less powerful.

I used it with a bunch, focal utopia, sennheiser hd800, noble savant, noble Django, sennheiser ie800 and recently added Noble kaiser encore. With the exception of the the ie800 the others sounded thin, the ie800 still lacked bass and had less demention to vocals with an annoying hiss from the sensitive extended treble. Had no issues with volume just with sound quality but for its price I'm sure it's good just not comparing to the mojo that the original person was thinking of switching from. It's definitely a noticibly step down in all aspects besides portability their the dfr is better.

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #2,351 of 5,077
I'm sure the Mojo is a better unit. I'm just surprised at it sounding thin through that array of headphones - maybe the bigger ones could have been underpowered but the IEMs wouldn't be. Odd. A/B'd with the raw output from my iPhone revealed subtle differences. I'd struggle to say either DFR or iPhone were thin.

Jan 3, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #2,352 of 5,077
I'm sure the Mojo is a better unit. I'm just surprised at it sounding thin through that array of headphones - maybe the bigger ones could have been underpowered but the IEMs wouldn't be. Odd. A/B'd with the raw output from my iPhone revealed subtle differences. I'd struggle to say either DFR or iPhone were thin.

Never A/B it with the phone jack since I had the mojo and a few other DAC/Amps including the arrow. They all provided more depth to the bass and vocalist. Also noticed the tone of the vocalist becomes sharper and this makes it sound thinner. The bass was also abnormally quick sounding on the dfr, I had to A/B it to my chord Dave and naim dac v1 also. Not sure it's necessarily the power more than the tuning, the dfr certainly has extended highs with some IEM's, the utopias and hd800 it can be painfully extended at decent volume. It's almost like audioquest tuned them for bose, Sony or general bass heavy headphones. Since the dfr sounded best with the bass heavy sennheiser ie80 and worst with the hd800 and savants. I guess I'm not sure what I was expecting from a $200 dac/amp, I just know I wouldn't switch from a mojo to the dfr, the mojo to me is worth the extra weight, might even try the new burson air if your trying to go battery less.

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #2,353 of 5,077
Hi!

Today I picked up my new Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016), to connect to my dragonfly black 1.5. The OTG-cable is a proper cable as well.

Plug and play it did not work with Spotify, or the default player.

I checked with all the OTG tools i could find. All seem to work. It gets the name of the device as well.

People adviced me to get UAPP, which worked great. I even made a Tidal account to check if that worked. It did.

Now the problem is that I use spotify alot, and cannot afford streaming Tidal all day, which I would like to be in lossless format.

Are there any new ways I can try to fix this? Ive read through most of this thread, without finding any solution. Does anyone have a checklist?

I suspect it won't work. I had the same issue with the Galaxy Tab A. Even rooted I couldn't get it working with android audio (only UAPP), the issue was the channel map settings were both zero with no way to change them meaning audio was being sent to the DF but the output was 0 or mute. I think this is an issue with the Samsung version of Android on some devices, I've seen reports on others (think it was the J series).

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #2,355 of 5,077
I got the DFB recently and found the sound to be very good when paired with my exynos s7 and ie80s on spotify. But after a day of usage the audio went all distorted and slowed down, unplugged it and plugged it back in the next day and found that there was noticeable hissing in all sources I've tried. I will be returning this for a DFR hopefully it will be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back