New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jan 7, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #2,372 of 5,077
  Hy,
will the red or the black drain the most your phone battery? Is this drain important?

There will be some battery drain but I've not found the DFB to be excessive. Bear in mind that if you play music straight from your phone the internal DAC & Amp will be using power, the DFB/DFR is using more but not massive amounts more.

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #2,374 of 5,077
Jan 7, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #2,376 of 5,077
  just listen to it on your home wifi....this is how i also download all new songs to listen to them later on.
but i know for now you cant' download MQA...but HIFI lossless you can.

Are you sure about this? I can only use UAPP for audio on my Galaxy A3 2016
Ive heard that if you playback your saved Tidal tracks via uapp, it doesnt work, it still streams from the internet. So its pricey mobile data-wise?

EDIT: Just tested to playback my playlist (which is downloaded on my phone) via UAPP and it used data traffic.
Are you saying that if i get Tidal Hifi subscription i can playback my songs locally? :)

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #2,377 of 5,077
Are you sure about this? I can only use UAPP for audio on my Galaxy A3 2016

Ive heard that if you playback your saved Tidal tracks via uapp, it doesnt work, it still streams from the internet. So its pricey mobile data-wise?

EDIT: Just tested to playback my playlist (which is downloaded on my phone) via UAPP and it used data traffic.

Are you saying that if i get Tidal Hifi subscription i can playback my songs locally? :)

I use a DF red, iPod touch6 listen to offline alot thru Onkyo HF player or senn captune ...Perhaps diff w uapp?... don't think so however. Just in settings turn your data roaming off, Wi-Fi on and try it that way to test

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #2,378 of 5,077
I use a DF red, iPod touch6 listen to offline alot thru Onkyo HF player or senn captune ...Perhaps diff w uapp?... don't think so however. Just in settings turn your data roaming off, Wi-Fi on and try it that way to test

It works if I only play through Wifi with data traffic turned off.
If i turn off both the wifi and data, UAPP says it needs connection with Tidal to be able to play the songs that are downloaded on my phone.
But I can play them via Tidal when im completely offline (via jack), but Tidal doesnt work with my DAC at all on my galaxy A3, and never have.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #2,379 of 5,077
It works if I only play through Wifi with data traffic turned off.

If i turn off both the wifi and data, UAPP says it needs connection with Tidal to be able to play the songs that are downloaded on my phone.

But I can play them via Tidal when im completely offline (via jack), but Tidal doesnt work with my DAC at all on my galaxy A3, and never have.

My my apologies for any confusion I caused as i wasn't aware you're using uapp... I'm using iOS as mentioned so it's probably different.

But perhaps someone else in your situation can also chime in with some tips to help you out here.

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #2,382 of 5,077
Anyine knows the battery dent if one use the red or black for 90mins a day on an iphone 6s? Thanks

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/04/audioquests-dragonfly-red-puts-high-end-daps-on-notice/

Quote from the article in digitalaudioreview, linked above:

"...... AudioQuest’s ‘Fly dongles, particularly the Red. The PIC32MX270 chip’s super low power needs sees an iPhone paired with Red (or Black) exceed all but the Sony NW-ZX2 on continuous playtime hours."

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #2,383 of 5,077
Not that bad. I use on my 7 Plus and probably drains 3-5% faster. It also depends if you keep backlight on and keep changing tracks. You'll barely feel it if you already use your device as a music player.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/04/audioquests-dragonfly-red-puts-high-end-daps-on-notice/http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/04/audioquests-dragonfly-red-puts-high-end-daps-on-notice/

Quote from the article in digitalaudioreview, linked above:

"...... AudioQuest’s ‘Fly dongles, particularly the Red. The PIC32MX270 chip’s super low power needs sees an iPhone paired with Red (or Black) exceed all but the Sony NW-ZX2 on continuous playtime hours."

Thanks.. means it's rather insignificant if one uses it for commuting.

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #2,384 of 5,077
Any occurrence of the DFR having issues with overdrawing power from the lightning port?
Also which DAP is on the same level as DFR assuming an iPhone is used ( not via lappy or desktop ).

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #2,385 of 5,077
Thanks.. means it's rather insignificant if one uses it for commuting.

Most likely...
What came as a total surprise to me, after some reading done here and on other threads, was - that to my ears - DFR came sonically sort of short in direct comparisons to Audioengine D3. Other than that, DFR can be run of the iPhone SE, whereas D3 needs additional power source, so for mobile use DFR seems to be the only alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back