New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jan 5, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #2,356 of 5,077
Looks like there's a firmware update on the way later this month. It will add MQA decoding ability to DFR and DFB. Nice!

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/01/ces-2017-as-it-happens/

Not sure if it will address apple cable and Android volume issues.

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #2,357 of 5,077
Looks like there's a firmware update on the way later this month. It will add MQA decoding ability to DFR and DFB. Nice!

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/01/ces-2017-as-it-happens/

Not sure if it will address apple cable and Android volume issues.

When I see it, I'll believe it audioquest also announced updates on the df's shortly after they were released with none to follow. I'm a tidal Hf subscriber and am skeptic of when Mqa will actually happen since it appeared as coming soon on their site almost a year ago. So I'll wait until something actually happens before getting my hopes up.

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #2,358 of 5,077
When I see it, I'll believe it audioquest also announced updates on the df's shortly after they were released with none to follow. I'm a tidal Hf subscriber and am skeptic of when Mqa will actually happen since it appeared as coming soon on their site almost a year ago. So I'll wait until something actually happens before getting my hopes up.

I thought you got rid of your Dragonfly Red. Would an update prompt you to pick up a new one or are you here just to bash Audioquest some more?

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #2,360 of 5,077
As per earlier link, MQA content is available on Tidal (desktop app only for the time being) as of today and audioquest spokesman says firmware will be available in January.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO5GEfKlXCc/

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #2,361 of 5,077
As per earlier link, MQA content is available on Tidal (desktop app only for the time being) as of today and audioquest spokesman says firmware will be available in January.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO5GEfKlXCc/

MQA doesn't appear on Apple desktop, I wonder if it's only windows based for tidal right now.

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #2,362 of 5,077
Just tried it on the Tidal app and the songs show up as "MASTER". Those same songs still appear as 16/44.1 on Roon. But guess we need that DF update before we can really tell how different MQA sounds.

Update: Solved. Just need to set to exclusive mode and full res shows up.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #2,363 of 5,077

Whilst I'm not holding my breath I don't recall Audioquest actually promising updates shortly after release, merely that the firmware was updateable and that they would be releasing a desktop update tool. It's true we have never seen the update tool but as they never released an update there wasn't really much use in releasing the tool.

Personally MQA on the DF doesn't bother me, when I bought the DF it never advertised it as being MQA enable so I went in 'eyes open', what AQ do need to address is getting the basic functionality working properly because there was an expectation of this at the time of purchase. If AQ get the Android/Apple issues resolved and introduce MQA then that has to be seen as being a bonus for owners.

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #2,365 of 5,077
Spent some more time listening with and without the DFR on my iPhone. With, it's definitely richer and airier. WIthout there's a tad more bass. Very small. Fortunately the Angies have a pair of in cable knobs for that
wink_face.gif

So I bumped the bass up a baw hair and it's now pretty perfect sounding.

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #2,366 of 5,077
MQA doesn't appear on Apple desktop, I wonder if it's only windows based for tidal right now.

Not to get off subject but Tidal responded back with their is no MAC desktop or mobile compatibility yet for Tidal with MQA or master but are planning on releasing this in the future, no time frame for this yet. Also no plans yet for compatibility for MQA with bluesound yet but Tidal rep will forward my request.

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #2,368 of 5,077
This is really gonna get expensive for me, since Im using UAPP to be able to use Tidal, and you cant download/access downloaded files. Streaming lossless data on mobile will drain my bank account way too fast :frowning2:
Hope there will be a way to fix this soon. Wouldnt hurt to include that in the next firmware :)

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #2,369 of 5,077
  This is really gonna get expensive for me, since Im using UAPP to be able to use Tidal, and you cant download/access downloaded files. Streaming lossless data on mobile will drain my bank account way too fast :frowning2:
Hope there will be a way to fix this soon. Wouldnt hurt to include that in the next firmware :)

just listen to it on your home wifi....this is how i also download all new songs to listen to them later on.
but i know for now you cant' download MQA...but HIFI lossless you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back