New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Dec 31, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #2,326 of 5,077
The DFR sounds great on my iPhone 7 and works flawlessly. I'm sure it'll work jus fine on my Mac and PC too. The only issues in this thread are really with certain android devices.

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #2,327 of 5,077
@ksatayboy

Red plus Samsung S7 with UAPP plus M50x headphones. Blistering good.

Not the Edge but I assume it's the same hardware?

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #2,330 of 5,077
Woa. The atmosphere for AQ and the DFB/DFR seems pretty bad after prowling thru nearly the entire thread. Was actually planning to buy dfb or dfr for my birthday to use using my s7e with my 1more triple drivers.

After seeing this situation I think the best we can do is wait for the firm ware or wait for the new dongle being developed by aaw to publish it's components b4 i decide which to buy

Anyone with experience using the dfb or dfr with s7e? Apparently it sound better on pc then on your phone apparently.

Yeah I have been planning on buying dfr for awhile now had some Christmas gift cards I was going to spend on it but change my mind when seeing lack of support and the bulky cck. I'm waiting for other competitors now that can fill the gap. I heard the dfr at a show and liked it very much. I need something that small that sounds that good that works with all devices and OS's.

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #2,331 of 5,077
Yeah I have been planning on buying dfr for awhile now had some Christmas gift cards I was going to spend on it but change my mind when seeing lack of support and the bulky cck. I'm waiting for other competitors now that can fill the gap. I heard the dfr at a show and liked it very much. I need something that small that sounds that good that works with all devices and OS's.

Wait for the accessport or the shanling UP. Both might sound better than dfr. Or maybe a new version of dfr may be released hahahaha

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #2,332 of 5,077
I had the same problem with my DF Red and my iPhone 6s Plus.  I reached out to Audioquest on this, and they suggested the same thing: to use the USB 3.0 camera kit.  I'm not really too keen on this personally, as it adds bulk.  I haven't yet gone out to get the USB 3.0 camera kit, so I can't confirm that it fixed my issues.

On a side note, I've been comparing my DF Red with the iFi Micro iDSD using a pair of Beyerdynamic T1.2s.  They are surprisingly close in sound.  However, I'd say that the DF Red is a bit more analytical and lean sounding, and the iDSD is fuller and richer.  So far, the iDSD seems to be the slightly better match for the T1.2.

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #2,333 of 5,077
  Has anyone compiled a list with working combo dragonfly black/red and android phone?

I think that'd be helpful and I wouldn't like to do the grunt work if someone else already has done it.

I believe there is an app for Android called UAPP (Usb Audio Player Pro) that bypasses Android audio controls and enables android phone to work with Dragonfly.

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #2,334 of 5,077
I've been using dragonfly red with my iPhone 6s Plus and cck 1.0, I had so clicks some times but just restarting the iPhone solved the problem. I've been using iOS betas since before 10.1, and I'm now on 10.2.1, I use iAudioGate for a player.

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #2,335 of 5,077
Don't buy dragonfly red or any of the dragonfly. I bought one Red for my friend whom listens very loud. It won't serve him even to a decent level on a senn HD-6XX. While my Dacport Slim at $100 blows this out of the water. Sound quality is less or on par with my Slim. So disappointed with all the hypes. The better version Dacport HD just recently dropped to about $100 in few days is a stellar. Hope saving people some hundred bucks

Jan 1, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #2,336 of 5,077
  Don't buy dragonfly red or any of the dragonfly. I bought one Red for my friend whom listens very loud. It won't serve him even to a decent level on a senn HD-6XX. While my Dacport Slim at $100 blows this out of the water. Sound quality is less or on par with my Slim. So disappointed with all the hypes. The better version Dacport HD just recently dropped to about $100 in few days is a stellar. Hope saving people some hundred bucks

​Maybe it doesn't work well with power-hungry cans, but it works great with IEMs and its sound quality (to my ears) is on par with the original ak120. I'm using mine with old Apple cck and iPhone 6s+ and haven't heard a single click or pop. I wonder why some experience it and others do not?

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #2,337 of 5,077
Highly recommend the dfr, it works great on my hd600... its not intended for that as i use the dfr for on the go listening but surprised it works well... but again as with many things in this hobby, its ymmv :) what i like with the dfr aside from its great sound is its versatility, i can use it on all my apple devices and its just plug and play :) and also i dont need to charge it hehe... i'm coming from a mojo and while that is indeed better overall, i hardly miss it especially since i wasnt able to use it when commuting on on a train since i cant strap it on my iphone7+

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #2,338 of 5,077
I've been following the threads on DFR and DFB for some days now, and noticed one thing: number of people jump into the threads asking very specifically about high end (or by todays standards mid-fi) cans, and how well (for. ex. 300ohm HD600 or HD650, some beyerdynamics and similar) those can be driven with DFR or DFB.

Now, pardon me for being quite ... well, "frank", but I do find the whole ordeal about asking this kind of questions extremely funny...

300 ohm home headphone pairing with an entry level (albeit more than good, according to many) DAC specifically designed for portable use... ringing any bells yet ?

I would not dream driving my AKG K701 or Senn HD600 (don't judge lowish 62 ohm impedance of K701 as any pointer to how are the to drive - they are demanding powerwise) with nothing short of a good, dedicated home headphone amp.

The amp I've got at home is more than adequate for these home cans; now running of the laptop the great thing about these small DACs is that they are excellent (provided good sound synergy with the headphone - colorwise ) in between component, allowing the amp to work even better with these full headphones.

Having said all of this, well, I find the notion of expecting these DACs to act as a full fledged headphone amps for this type of headphones as... nothing short of funny.

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #2,339 of 5,077
some people just want to see if it can drive high impedance cans, doesnt mean they will use it for such purpose primarily. If it works then great that's an added bonus for the dragonfly red. But it doesnt mean they dont have desktop amps as their primary setup. And yes the dragonfly red can power the hd600 to decent levels. Is it ideal? Of course not, there are other alternatives, but its good to know that the dfr can power it if the situation calls for it, just dont expect it to match your desktop setup.

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #2,340 of 5,077
Then I stand corrected: looking at the specs and intended purpose of these DACs, I find even notion of trying and expecting these DACs to somehow run adequately these phones... well, sort of "optimistic".

Looking at those threads and posts, It was actually really clearly stated, number of times, the same type of question all over again, and it was done often enough to give exactly the impression I've got.

Now, I might be wrong in the end, and honestly, I wish I really am.

The engineering is the art of the compromise, and it might be well worth mentioning (however obvious it might seem) that price/performance (capability) ratio implies exactly that - the compromise. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back