New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Dec 27, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #2,311 of 5,077
  The guys over at Computer Audiophile wrote quite a comprehensive article about Android and (Dragonfly, but also in general) DACs (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/735-audiophile-switches-ios-android/) and here's one interesting tidbit:

And yet a third party app works flawlessly... I understand their points and they are not raised here for the first time, but I still do not buy it. The DFR and DFB could easily include a "device driver" - as easy as work together with UAPP - and finally get over it.

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #2,312 of 5,077
  And yet a third party app works flawlessly... I understand their points and they are not raised here for the first time, but I still do not buy it. The DFR and DFB could easily include a "device driver" - as easy as work together with UAPP - and finally get over it.

While I agree with you that Audioquest should be doing more (and especially should have done much more), I am not entirely sure that it is possible to solve the issue satisfactorily. One simple option would be to set the reported volume at max, so that Android would register the correct max value as well. This might leave many users with IEMs at ear-splitting minimum volume though. As for drivers, unfortunately Android is heavily sandboxed, and there is no simple way to install an app ("driver") on your phone that will change the way other apps send audio out, if that's what you meant. As far as I know the modification has to be made at a system level, and that means OEM or ROM maker. Single apps like UAPP can implement modified drivers, but only inside the app itself.

There are of course many other DACs working well on Android, why? Well, some have a physical volume control, some have a gain switch, but for the remaining ones my theory (based mostly on other people's reviews and notes, mind you) is that other DACs might have less volume variation between min and max, which means that they can safely report max volume to Android without going too high for IEMs at min volume (and actually some do: many portable DAC reviews mention volume too high at min-low gain for sensitive monitors - see Cayin C5DAC for example). 

Since the DF is supposed to be firmware upgradeable, I would think that there might be some way to solve this. If the upgrade is able to set the reported max value, for example, they could at the very least release two separate updates, one to set the max value at what currently is, and another one to set it at the actual max value. This would mean reflashing the correct firmware every time you want to switch (as a sort of software gain switch), i.e. a real pain in the a**, but at least it would give us a choice. However I am not sure that a big-ish company such as AQ would go for such a hacky solution (I can only imagine the emails that their support would receive after unsuspecting users flashed the wrong upgrade). So I can sort of understand that it might take a while to figure out a good solution, what I cannot excuse is the total lack of communication on their part. As far as we know, they might not even be working on it, honestly. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #2,313 of 5,077
  I currently have chord mojo, planning to sell it off. Is the DragonFly Red a good choice if I'm looking for something smaller and cheaper. I don't want any batteries involved because I don't need them. I won't be carrying them around with my phone, will just use with my laptop at home. Is there any other devices like dragonfly red that are competitively priced? or any better models? Thanks.

Missed your post previously - late reply (hope it is still useful):

First of all a small note regarding batteries - sometimes they can improve sound quality, as the power source is "cleaner" as they say.

Anyways, since you are looking for something smaller and cheaper, these are a few products you can try:

Audio OPUS #11
Shanling UP
Shozy Lancea
Dragonfly Red / Black

As for which ones are "better", I am afraid you will have to try for yourself to see which one suits your tastes better, but DFR, DFB and the Audio OPUS are generally very well reviewed. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #2,314 of 5,077
I currently have chord mojo, planning to sell it off. Is the DragonFly Red a good choice if I'm looking for something smaller and cheaper. I don't want any batteries involved because I don't need them. I won't be carrying them around with my phone, will just use with my laptop at home. Is there any other devices like dragonfly red that are competitively priced? or any better models? Thanks.

Had Chord Mojo, went to DFR for similar reason to you, exchanged back for a Chord Mojo.

Lost confidence that AQ will produce a fix for android audio volume issues after asking them for 6 months now. Bought on promise that fix was coming.

Also, on PC can only have volume around 8-10 or too loud so very little controllability/steps. Sounds nearly as good as Mojo with standard def stuff but Mojo much better with HDef/DSD.

If you couldn't stretch to price of a Mojo then I'd still recommend DFR but would'nt advise selling a Mojo for it unless using with iPhone and not getting the popping/clicks some are reporting.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #2,316 of 5,077
The Dragonfly Red is version 1.0, the Dragonfly Black is version 1.5.

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #2,317 of 5,077
To make that clearer, there have been three revisions to the Dragonfly Black line going back a couple of years. 1.0 1.2 and 1.5. The DFR is a new product line on v1.0.

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #2,318 of 5,077
Has anyone experienced stuttering issues using the Dragonfly Red with the iPhone 6s Plus and the camera kit? My red works fine when plugged into a PC, but when using the apple camera kit through my iPhone, I get constant stuttering and hiccups. It makes it completely unusable. Sorry if this has been answered. I'm on my phone right now and it's hard to read through all the posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #2,319 of 5,077
Has anyone experienced stuttering issues using the Dragonfly Red with the iPhone 6s Plus and the camera kit? My red works fine when plugged into a PC, but when using the apple camera kit through my iPhone, I get constant stuttering and hiccups. It makes it completely unusable. Sorry if this has been answered. I'm on my phone right now and it's hard to read through all the posts.

I also use 6s + camera kit + DFR.
At first time I used Neutron music player I had similar problem of stuttering. 
After I turn off some function to reduce the load of CPU the music became very smooth.  

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #2,320 of 5,077

I also use 6s + camera kit + DFR.
At first time I used Neutron music player I had similar problem of stuttering. 
After I turn off some function to reduce the load of CPU the music became very smooth.  

That's good that you were able to get Neutron working, but my problem is happening with Spotify. There are no options to disable, and also, when using my iFi Micro iDSD with my iPhone, I do not experience any of this stuttering. It appears to be a problem directly related to the Dragonfly Red.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #2,321 of 5,077
I am getting the popping sounds when using the DFR with the iPhone 7+, does anyone know if the the USB 3.0 adapter will actually remove the popping and as Audioquest says, make it sound 'better'? I am thinking of getting the 3.0 adapter but it looks so clunky. I wish apple would make a new one that inst so big.

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #2,322 of 5,077
I'm using the 3.0 cck on my 7 plus with zero issues. Just works. Using DFR.

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #2,324 of 5,077
My dragonfly red came in today And the crackling noise was there in the old CCK with my iPhone 7+  so I switched to the new CCK 3.0 USB version and it cleared everything up so I had some Velcro and Velcroed the CCK to the back of the iPhone case works great.

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #2,325 of 5,077
Woa. The atmosphere for AQ and the DFB/DFR seems pretty bad after prowling thru nearly the entire thread. Was actually planning to buy dfb or dfr for my birthday to use using my s7e with my 1more triple drivers.

After seeing this situation I think the best we can do is wait for the firm ware or wait for the new dongle being developed by aaw to publish it's components b4 i decide which to buy

Anyone with experience using the dfb or dfr with s7e? Apparently it sound better on pc then on your phone apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back