New Cans Needed...So, Ultrasone HFI 700 vs 780 vs 680 or PRO 650/750?....Heck throw in AKG 271 and Denon 2000
Sep 6, 2010 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

phaun

New Head-Fier
I've been reading through here for quite sometime but decided to join in the discussion and ask a huge favor.

I'm currently using some Grado 80s which I'm very happy with; however, I need a closed back design as I need a phone I can use in public as well.

I'm using this headphone for recording, playback; home movies/music; as well as portable (iphone/ipod/laptop)...I currently dont' have a headphone amp though hoping to get one in the near future (portable first most likely). 

I'm between the sets listed above.  Always read good thing about the Ultrasones being somewhat similar to the Grado for a closed back design.  The AKG and Denon were just others I've seen/read much about. 

It seems the Ultra HFI 580 and PRO 550 will be too bass heavy for me.  I'm not a big bass person.  Listen to Rock, Jazz, Acoustic, and Indie music. 

Which of these would work for my multipurpose? 
Best value?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks y'all

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 10
I'm going to say up to 200, but could be swayed a little above...

would like 150-175, but again will push a little higher...I found some demo 750s for 200 so that's why Id like to stay around there

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 10
Read a little more today...now down to either the HFI 680, PRO 650 or 750 (can't find much about the difference here), or the Denon 2000...I'm not sure if I should be scared of the bass heavy talk about the 780's...is it a large difference compared to the 680 or 750?

From here I don't know where to go...really like the idea of the velour pads vs. pleather; but sound is def more important.  I think the 750's will be good for my recording/playback, but maybe the 680s for more neutral sound and unscooped mids...would the 680's be that bad for recording? 

I will admit I do love the idea of the hard case with the PRO line; though could just buy one separately.  And, as I'll need the 1/8th a bit more than the 1/4, the HFI makes a bit more sense...argh!!!

thanks again in advance

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 10
A seller on ebay has the Pro 750s for $169.99 shipped. I just bought a pair of 780s from him and he accepted my best offer of $150 shipped to CONUS. You can easily decrease the bass of any Ultrasone by dampening the cups with cotton.

Build quality wise, I'd recommend the Pro's over the HFIs. If I didn't already have Pro 900s I probably would have got the 750s instead of the 780s.

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 10
Yeah, unfortunately those were gone this morning....I was about to get them, asked a question, and they were gone...not sold though which made me question if they were real...would love to see them come up again though...

looks like I can get the 680's for about 190, the 750's for 230, the 650's for about 170...I sure wish there was more out there comparing the 680 and 780...again, since it's my first real dive into the headphone world, I'm at a loss...

Tell you one thing though, getting rid of the grados is going to be tough :frowning2:

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #9 of 10
@HeatFan12...sorry for the confusion.  Yes, no dedicated headphone amp at the moment.  Looking to get a portable amp in the near future. 

My contenders right now are the HFI680, PRO 650 or 750.  From what I've read the bass is too much on the 780 which I know is relative though.

I'm also keeping my mind/ears open for other choices.  Heck, even wondering if I should just get some good IEM, but they are just too unformfortable for me. 

As for these phones not being portable.  I don't need a true portable headphone.  However, I do like the fact that the Ultrasones fold down and have a case or bag.  That is enough for my portability needs.  Sure, the cans might look different on the bus, but hey, I can't afford multiple pairs. 

Again, these are also going to be used for recording, playback, mixing also.  

Are the q40 or HD25 that much better than the Ultrasones or akg 271? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back