NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Oct 16, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #3,001 of 3,483
Atlas with comply tips are one of the most comfortable iems I’ve wore... the first being the vega / Lyra / shire 846

There have been numerous comments about Atlas being heavy and prone to falling out of ears. Both points have merit. Weirdly, though, when using other iems, which are all much lighter weight, I feel something's lacking - it's kind of like...being naked. The heft of Atlas, for me, is an odd, unforeseen benefit.

I use Spiral Dots with the cable down, for what it's worth.

Oct 17, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #3,002 of 3,483
Yes, I also use Spiral Dots with the Atlas. Tame the bass just a bit more than the Final Es and open up the treble. Still the driver flex though. Foam tips eradicate this, but make the bass a bit too overpowering for my taste.

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #3,003 of 3,483
I use Atlas with Spirals, cable down and a simple shirt clip (kills the weight and secures them) and they are the most comfortable, musical and engaging iems you could wish for.

I think that the bass and sub-bass issue is very player dependent. I use them with the spkm, and it is a fantastic combination, presenting the lows into a coherent whole with the music. I'm not a bass head at all (always preferred analytical listening) but now, I'm not so sure if I'd be willing to renounce this bass for whatever else!

Oct 18, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #3,005 of 3,483
Same for me, they go way in my ears and are very comfy. The clip helps absorb the weight. Love them with metal!
Interesting, I was always under the impression that the bass of the atlas tended to swamp the vocals etc of metal. What type do you listen to?

Oct 18, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #3,006 of 3,483
Interesting, I was always under the impression that the bass of the atlas tended to swamp the vocals etc of metal. What type do you listen to?

not at all, they are very balanced tbh emphasised on both ends but at the same time the mids are still there. I love them with metal, lately I’ve been listening to a lot of Slipknot, of mice and men, korn and the new Northlane album and they are great.

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #3,007 of 3,483

Older metal (roots metal? ha, sounds weird to say that) where the recordings were sort of thin. For instance, on some of the earlier Megadeth and Metallica albums the bass was pretty weak in the mix so it can use all the help it can get. Rust in Peace sounds great with these!

Oct 20, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #3,008 of 3,483
I am a newer member of the Atlas cult, about three weeks in. These are remarkable IEMs. Their coherence and transparency is mind-smacking. This is a huge dynamic headphone inside my ears.

I am blessed to have minimal problems with driver flex. The sound sometimes goes soft as I insert and then the IEMs settle and everything equalizes. For me, it is a non-issue.

I have found that a shallow fit with larger Final E tips (size up) produces the best sound quality.

Congratulations Ken. The Atlas is is real achievement.

Oct 21, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #3,009 of 3,483
Received my Atlas this past Saturday and I’m trying to train my brain to get used to the signature. To me the Andromeda seems to be more coherent even though it lacks the low end of the Atlas. What tips do y’all recommend to smooth it out.

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #3,010 of 3,483
Received my Atlas this past Saturday and I’m trying to train my brain to get used to the signature. To me the Andromeda seems to be more coherent even though it lacks the low end of the Atlas. What tips do y’all recommend to smooth it out.
I had both before I returned the Andros. For me, only the jvc spiral dots offered up as competent and cohesive a midrange as the Andros while not sacrificing the bass. In short, JVC SD’s sounded better than any of the supplied tips with the Atlas.

Oct 21, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #3,012 of 3,483
The Atlas needs 150-200 hours of burn-in to reach it's potential.

Oct 21, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #3,014 of 3,483

Don't know if it's been said already or read, but remember: massive burn-in required to get the true sound qualities! Burn at least 200-300 hours, and then you'll see. Spiral dots a must.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back