NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Jun 22, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #1,456 of 3,483
Wm1a. Plenty of power. Punchy, dynamic, detailed. Sucks me in. Havent tested the other ones. You like lotoo more than wm1a?

I prefer the Lotoo Paw Gold Diana for short listening sessions and the Sony for long sessions. The Sony has a very musical more laid-back presentation. The Diana is very intensely aggressive and has great layering and micro detail, but it gets to be a bit much at times. For heavy metal in particular, the Sony's superior. It really works magic with the way metal is mastered and takes all the screechiness out of the music.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #1,457 of 3,483
I prefer the Lotoo Paw Gold Diana for short listening sessions and the Sony for long sessions. The Sony has a very musical more laid-back presentation. The Diana is very intensely aggressive and has great layering and micro detail, but it gets to be a bit much at times. For heavy metal in particular, the Sony's superior. It really works magic with the way metal is mastered and takes all the screechiness out of the music.
AK SE100 and SP1000 might be a good choice as well.

Jun 22, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #1,458 of 3,483
Jun 22, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #1,459 of 3,483
Man. The Atlas really are a great pair of earphones.

I'm still really struggling with the Silicon/Final tips and complete suffocation of the driver. The one time I got it working I really preferred the sound of the silicon/Final tips to the marshmallow foams, but I've been using the foams as they are the only ones that really work so far. I'll keep experimenting with the silicon and Final tips. I don't know if its just my ears, or if the Atlas are particularly susceptible to driver flex/suffocation.

With all that being said, the more I get used to the sound, the more I am enjoying them. Really wonderful earphones, really wonderful.

Jun 22, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #1,460 of 3,483
Man. The Atlas really are a great pair of earphones.

I'm still really struggling with the Silicon/Final tips and complete suffocation of the driver. The one time I got it working I really preferred the sound of the silicon/Final tips to the marshmallow foams, but I've been using the foams as they are the only ones that really work so far. I'll keep experimenting with the silicon and Final tips. I don't know if its just my ears, or if the Atlas are particularly susceptible to driver flex/suffocation.

With all that being said, the more I get used to the sound, the more I am enjoying them. Really wonderful earphones, really wonderful.

You're not the only one, I always preferred silicone tips before getting the Atlas but the left side flexes when I look forward, fine while looking down at a 45 degree angle, ended up with Marshmallow/Comply tips and driver flex is gone.

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #1,462 of 3,483
Did anyone else have any discomfort with these and their insertion depth? I tried the comets and the Brainwavz B400 last month and the former was really uncomfortable and almost painful though I could have had them pushed too far in? The Brainwavz were fine in comparison, though they had a lighter low end than I'd have liked.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #1,464 of 3,483
The Final E type ear tips are trash
I agree. I was wondering why did they not include Spinfits instead. I find the Spinfits are 'more revealing' and the Final E emphasise a lot on the bass. I also tried Spinfits dual flange. No good for me. I couldn't get a good seal. Atlas had about 20+ burn in so far.

Questyle QP1R, Lotoo Paw Gold Diana, or Sony NW-WM1A?
I have the Sony WM1A and I find the Atlas sounding better on the SE jack. To be fair, it wasn't a 1-1 comparison because my 2.5mm balanced cable was a CA Litz SPC rather than stock Silver Litz and I used the Fiio BL44 for plug conversion. Lastly the WM1A was newly replaced and the SE jack had a 20+ hour burn-in and nothing yet on Balanced jack. On balanced, it sounded warm-ish. I'll will have to burn it in and report back.

Jun 23, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #1,465 of 3,483
Different strokes for different folks. Calling the Final tips trash is a wee bit harsh. It has become my go to tips for many IEM's and they are the ones I settled on after much listening time for the Atlas as well. I would encourage new listeners to give any tips some time before posting. I think the original Final tips are trash comment came from someone who hadn't even had the Atlas for 24 hours.

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #1,466 of 3,483
Right now I have final audio tips on my atlas and I do think they are my favorite with spinfits being close behind. Obviously thats subject to change :).

Atlas with gold plated silver exo by plussound 4.4mm smooths everything out and accentuates the midrange. The silver stock cable sounds great and keeps all the energy and dynamics, more in your face but I also only have that in 3.5. I really enjoy the plussound out of 4.4 but the combination might not be for everyone as it does smooth out the sound. Made my andromedas too smooth for my liking. When I buy the stock cable 4.4 then I can update impressions.

Fit wise the stock cable is great; luckily plussound doesnt use memory wire so fits well but imo memory wire with the atlas are a little awkward.

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #1,467 of 3,483
I agree. I was wondering why did they not include Spinfits instead. I find the Spinfits are 'more revealing' and the Final E emphasise a lot on the bass. I also tried Spinfits dual flange. No good for me. I couldn't get a good seal. Atlas had about 20+ burn in so far.

I have the Sony WM1A and I find the Atlas sounding better on the SE jack. To be fair, it wasn't a 1-1 comparison because my 2.5mm balanced cable was a CA Litz SPC rather than stock Silver Litz and I used the Fiio BL44 for plug conversion. Lastly the WM1A was newly replaced and the SE jack had a 20+ hour burn-in and nothing yet on Balanced jack. On balanced, it sounded warm-ish. I'll will have to burn it in and report back.
Congrats on your new purchase. Ive had 3 campfire iems and all sounded great on it.

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #1,468 of 3,483
Jun 24, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #1,469 of 3,483
Great comparison. A good dap makes these puppies shine.

I dont know if its me or maybe that my music collection is mostly mp3's or that I listen to a lot of streaming (spotify) or that I just havent heard a really high end source dap/amp or what, but I honestly hear pretty little difference between different sources. Right now, I own a chord mojo, and one or two lower end players, like a cayin n3, and an earstudio es100 bluetooth receiver. Between them, differences are always relatively minor. Maybe im just not sensitive to it, but at best, the mojo feels just slightly cleaner, and maybe has better instrument separation and resolution. But its to the point that unless I am doing extremely critical listening, I am usually more than satisfied just listening to streaming audio from my phone directly (a oneplus 5t, not sure what dac it uses). Dont know if I am missing out or if its really all about talking in the margins here.

That said, I find my atlas excellent. Currently on final audio tips, though like others have said, I definitely get driver flex. Not just the popping, but audio tends to go out (left ear mainly) when they are first inserted, but usually seems to clear up relatively quickly. Though I guess thats a bit related to how tight of a seal I get. And it feels tight enough that bass is very present, so I am guessing its enough. Tried out spinfit cp145 for a bit and they also work fine, and maybe open up the treble a bit since they actually have a slightly wider bore than the final audio tips. Though I started getting a bit of a pressure point on my left ear. Still going through my tip rolling for these, mainly just for comfort and ease of use.

My vegas are feeling very neglected and I think they are almost definitely going to be sold on soon...

Jun 24, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #1,470 of 3,483
I dont know if its me or maybe that my music collection is mostly mp3's or that I listen to a lot of streaming (spotify) or that I just havent heard a really high end source dap/amp or what, but I honestly hear pretty little difference between different sources. Right now, I own a chord mojo, and one or two lower end players, like a cayin n3, and an earstudio es100 bluetooth receiver. Between them, differences are always relatively minor. Maybe im just not sensitive to it, but at best, the mojo feels just slightly cleaner, and maybe has better instrument separation and resolution. But its to the point that unless I am doing extremely critical listening, I am usually more than satisfied just listening to streaming audio from my phone directly (a oneplus 5t, not sure what dac it uses). Dont know if I am missing out or if its really all about talking in the margins here.

That said, I find my atlas excellent. Currently on final audio tips, though like others have said, I definitely get driver flex. Not just the popping, but audio tends to go out (left ear mainly) when they are first inserted, but usually seems to clear up relatively quickly. Though I guess thats a bit related to how tight of a seal I get. And it feels tight enough that bass is very present, so I am guessing its enough. Tried out spinfit cp145 for a bit and they also work fine, and maybe open up the treble a bit since they actually have a slightly wider bore than the final audio tips. Though I started getting a bit of a pressure point on my left ear. Still going through my tip rolling for these, mainly just for comfort and ease of use.

My vegas are feeling very neglected and I think they are almost definitely going to be sold on soon...

had to reply with some thoughts! first, your source files are "fuzzy" and its like having a 4K resolution-capable TV and watching old black and white movies in 480P--you would never know what the TV is capable of. With your Mojo, you should stream Tidal (through your PC better than phone) MQA files and then form your opinion; my guess is you will drastically notice the differences. Moving from Vegas to Atlas for me is very noticeable, and where I used spinfits with my Vegas, and hated Symbio W's there, I now prefer the Atlas / Symbio combo pretty much better than anything else. In fact, just to try to see if the narrow bore in the Symbio N (moving the driver farther from the ear) helps, I just ordered those and am waiting on delivery. My seal is excellent, and I go over ear since I have the very heavy SXC8 cable too. Everything is perfectly comfortable, sonically exceptional and I doubt I will be making more changes for awhile...hope this perspective helps--but once you hear 24/192 v MP3 you will see too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back