NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
May 20, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #977 of 3,483
Stock cable with 4.4mm connector from CA :).
20180519_225248.jpg
20180519_225332.jpg

Btw having issue with fitting. I like the final tips but the left side keeps popping out of my ear. Only foam can stay secured. Maybe i will try custom tips.

May 20, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #978 of 3,483
How's the isolation?
Fairly good...bass creates isolation and the full sound does a good job. On it's design, there are better isolating IEMs.

May 20, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #979 of 3,483
I just recently picked up the Comet and have been listening to them for a few days now. Thought I'd share some initial impressions.

The Comet came very nicely bundled with a great case and a selection of tips. I was happy that they included spinfits since I really dig them with my iSine 10, Unique Melody ME.1 and Massdrop+ IEMs. The build quality is excellent on these. They feel solid and shiny. I quickly switched the cable out for my own mmcx cables but the cable it comes with is good. I like the braided style though, so may not appeal to everyone.

As far as usage. I had a heck of a time getting a good fit. I have relatively small ear canals. My right ear canal is also unusual. That's why spinfits worked well for me. Unfortunately these specific spinfits didnt work as well. They fit in but I didnt like the pressure they were causing or they fell out eventually with heavy movement. I think I also had some trouble getting these to stay in with various tips (silicone, spinfits, spiral dots, mandarin-e hybrids, and others) because of the weight/shape of the comets, and the weight of the cable I use.

In either case, I ended up sticking with foam tips. I dont particularly like using foam tips because of the work required to put them in and in many experiences I've had, they tend to bloat the midbass too much. But they actually worked very well with the Comets for me.

As far as sound goes, I probably made a big mistake receiving them the same day as the Unique Melody Me.1 which blows every portable I have away, that aside, the Comet is a solid performer. I would say that they don't particularly do anything spectacular but they dont feel deficient in any way. They have a very smooth sound to them that I feel well appeal to many people.

The bass doesnt punch nor does it extend as far as the planar IEMs I have but they are alright for where they are priced at. The have some weight to it, but sometimes feels a bit loose. Mids/vocals are full and in front of you. Slight warmth but not overbearing. The treble is smooth, with no sharpness or peaky harshness. No sibilance at all. Highs don't have as much energy and detail as I like, but I think this will appeal to a lot of people, which is what I gather this IEM is geared towards. I think it really appeals to a lot of different genres, and listeners.

They sound good. They dont have have the detail/resolution of some higher priced IEMs but I feel like they are priced just about right.

Comparing them to another popular earphone in this price range - I'd rate them above both the 1More Quad and the Noble X, which I have owned both for a period of time. The Quads and X both have an exaggerated mid/bass hump which I feel makes the sound too bloated and warm.

Oh another thing on comfort. I like wearing IEMs over ear but I had a tough time getting these to work over-ear. They are obviously designed to be worn wire down but you "can" wear them over. I had trouble finding the right angle to put them in and also having them stay in with the foam tips. Oh well.

May 20, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #980 of 3,483
Gnawbert,

We know its a lot of cabbage for a IEM, thank you for taking the leap and also supporting Campfire, it means a lot to us so thank you.. We are really happy to read your post considering your situation so were super happy you are enjoying the Atlas and hope they serve you well for a long time, rock on.

Cheers,

Ken
I've never owned anything from Campfire but I was quite impressed with this reply. If sound quality wasn't enough to entice me to eventually make a purchase, thoughtful responses like this might be.

May 20, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #983 of 3,483
Removing the MMCX cable from my Comets was pain. The connections are solid and built like a tank though.

May 20, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #986 of 3,483
I plan on swapping mine often. Bad idea? I use a normal length cable at work but I like using a short cable with BT adapter for on-the-go and working out.

May 20, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #987 of 3,483
Question for anyone that has a comet or polaris and a Vega/Atlas: Is the wire for the comet any thinner and lighter than the one on the Vega/Atlas? The stock vega cable sounds fine but when I try to exercise the weight of the cable is a bit much, for instance on an elliptical it acts like a pendulum due to the weight, swings wildly and adds a lot of microphonics. If I try to shorten the cable with a twist tie or something it just becomes to restrictive for head movement, like a leash. I have a custom IEM with a thinner gauge cable that works so much better, but alas it is a two pin termination. I am just wondering if the Comet cable is lighter/thinner, because if so I would like to get that cable.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #988 of 3,483
Comet and Polaris cables are all copper. Atlas and Vega cables are silver plated copper so they will sound different.

If you are looking for a lightweight silver plated copper cable check out https://www.linum.dk.

May 20, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #989 of 3,483

Users who are viewing this thread

Back