Monster Cable vs Coat Hanger
Mar 4, 2008 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

bigshot

Headphoneus Supremus
Mar 4, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 72
well, coat hangers are excellent conductors . . . . .
. . . . ever stick one into an electrical socket?
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 72
I like the idea of the experiment. Granted, I think there are plenty of benefits to having a proper cable as opposed to a coat hanger (basically shielding, but also just the integrity, convenience, flexibility are all secondary concerns that are real) but it's definitely a reason the monoprice 3 dollar cables will be just as good as Monster Cables.

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 72
Mar 4, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Experiments: Do Coat Hangers Sound As Good Monster Cables?

Wait...but those guys probably had no trained ears...or the gear used was not up to the task as to reveal the magic nuances of the music...or the experiement methodology was surely flawed...or simply the monster cables suck...or they were not familair with the tracks played, or the gear used, or how they were supposed to sound...
rolleyes.gif

Just wait and you will see (at least) one of these arguments to show up sooner or later...
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, coat hangers are excellent conductors . . . . .
. . . . ever stick one into an electrical socket?
tongue.gif

My HS physics teacher liked goofing around with old TV's, and after zapping himself pretty good during one "experiment", took an 18 inch piece of dowel and attached a long piece of coat hanger wire to the end.......he said that he poked and prodded it around all the big capacitors before sticking his fingers into TV circuitry.

Seems to me that one might end up with a section of coat hanger wire welded across the leads of a really big cap, though.....

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the idea of the experiment. Granted, I think there are plenty of benefits to having a proper cable as opposed to a coat hanger (basically shielding, but also just the integrity, convenience, flexibility are all secondary concerns that are real) but it's definitely a reason the monoprice 3 dollar cables will be just as good as Monster Cables.

The picture seems not to portray the text of the article properly. I interpreted it to mean that coat hanger wire replaced speaker cabling, not RCA-terminated interconnects (as are shown).......and speaker cabling is generally not shielded.

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 72
I guess you can take this a couple of ways. For one, it could just mean that the monster cables are that bad.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #10 of 72
That would be a great way to spin it. But if you had actually read the article, you'd see that they tested the monster against belden as well. All tested exactly the same.

It's painfully obvious that for normal home use, speaker cable is speaker cable.

See ya
Steve

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #11 of 72
Well, here's a solution: Fairly-priced speaker cable that resembles coat hanger wires. These things are great, and not too crazy on the cost front (if you keep them relatively short). I use them for my T-Amp/vintage KLH/DVD player system (had them left over from bi-wiring my PSBs in the living room, but decided bi-wiring was a PITA).

Anti-Cables | Home

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #13 of 72
No surprise here. I've been using extension cord for speaker cable for years, and don't intend to change. Cable supplies nothing but a (generally insignificant) resistive loss and a (definitely insignificant) capacitance.

Mar 4, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #14 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they had cryoed the coat hangers they probably would have beaten the
monsters.

Haha I'd love trying to explain to the lady why we need cryogenically frozen coat hangers
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back