NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
May 8, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #826 of 3,483
Hi all,

I've been the happy owner of a pair of Atlas for a few days now. I don't consider myself an audiophile and don't know much about the proper audiophile vocabulary or technical terms to describe what i hear (specs, ranges etc..) However, i'm a professional orchestra and opera conductor across the world, and i can tell you that when i listen with the Atlas to a performance that's been recorded (with good equipment and technique), it's sounds just about the same as what i hearing standing on the podium when i'm conducting. So it's a great tool for me.

I've been playing around trying to find the best tips for fit, confort and of course SQ. I've been trying 4 different types of Comply foam tips and i have a question about bore size and fit.

Since the atlas have a pretty wide bore, i've ordered a bunch of 500 and 600 from Comply. The 500 fit well (tried the confort+, the isolation+ and both works) The 600 are too wide (the sport + and isolation), they to hand tight enough to the nozzle of the iem.

I've heard a lot of people talking about the Spinfit, and would love to try them, however, i don't know which model should i order to get the proper fit on the nozzle. Has anybody tried them ?

Would the CP-100 (which seems to be the most common one) fit or will it be too tight ?

many thanks

If you want a wider bore then go for the JVC Spiral Dots which have a bigger bore than the Spinfits.

May 8, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #827 of 3,483
Hey Ken-I just got your SXC8 for use w my Vegas....how does it pair with the Atlas? Please advise!

IMO the SXC8 is our best cable and pairs very well Atlas as well as Andromeda. SXC8 is a amazing cable the only down side is that its a big cable, also has some microphonics. If your ok with the size of the cable you would be hard pressed to find a better sounding cable.

Cheers

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
May 8, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #828 of 3,483
Anyone else having a tough time getting good fit/seal with the Atlas hanging down? I'm having to resort to over ear to avoid repositioning them every few minutes. I may just have a weird ear canal...

May 8, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #829 of 3,483
Anyone else having a tough time getting good fit/seal with the Atlas hanging down? I'm having to resort to over ear to avoid repositioning them every few minutes. I may just have a weird ear canal...

I have a weird problem where with silicone tips I create too strong of a seal, a vacuum actually, and get no sound. I've never experienced that in an IEM before, and I've been relegated to the marshmallow tips CA provides. As far as trouble keeping them in, my suggestion would be bigger tips or try foam. I have been using foam, because of vacuum problem with my ears and silicone, and they have been staying in pretty well, though sometimes I put them over ear so that the pull is eased by the cable resting on my ear. Been wearing them a lot at work where I'm up and moving around most of the night and this works well.

**EDIT - I have figured out that with silicone tips I have to use a different insertion technique than I am used to. Normally I can just plop them in and feel them "stick" in my ears. Very casual, easy, no thought involved. With Atlas though, I have to use more finesse and have a little patience with my ears. I have to push down and in a little bit more deeply than I am used to and it seems to relieve whatever vacuum or driver flex issue caused by pressure or WHATEVER was causing my problem preventing proper movement of the diaphragm. Whatever the problem was, it was isolated to me and I got it straightened out by using a little more finesse and patience.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #830 of 3,483
I have a weird problem where with silicone tips I create too strong of a seal, a vacuum actually, and get no sound. I've never experienced that in an IEM before, and I've been relegated to the marshmallow tips CA provides. As far as trouble keeping them in, my suggestion would be bigger tips or try foam. I have been using foam, because of vacuum problem with my ears and silicone, and they have been staying in pretty well, though sometimes I put them over ear so that the pull is eased by the cable resting on my ear. Been wearing them a lot at work where I'm up and moving around most of the night and this works well.

Do you think that may be driver flex you are experiencing?

May 8, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #833 of 3,483
So I guess there are no equalization ports to reduce pressure build up in Atlas.. that is a big no go for me.
In fairness to CA and Atlas design, I haven't seen anyone else complain about this problem in any review or impression video. I've asked and hunted. It does have a small vent hole on the back of the body of but it's tiny. Maybe it's just me?

May 8, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #835 of 3,483
I hope my local CA dealer will stock some Atlas so that I can demo. I am also worried about comfort with the weight of IEM dragging down breaking seal and I have to constantly adjust the fitting. Last IEM I had this similar issue was periodic BE, loved the sound but hated the fit and ended up selling it.

May 8, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #837 of 3,483
Been listening to my comets a couple days now and enjoying them more and more. I like the construction and build quality of them. lush mids, good bass, and non-sibilant treble. still comparing to my it01’s. one thing tho that I surprisingly could not get any of the supplied tips to create a proper seal! had to resort to the largest Fiio tips to get the perfect fit and wow did it really accentuate the entire frequency response. Have ordered Large Spiral Dots and Symbio Mandarin tips (both normal and wide bore). Also I didn’t like how the included spin fit inner opening was so narrow and obstructed part of the grille. Thought the comply tips would seal better.

Anyways I have them paired with my new Fiio Q1 mk 2 and just ordered a cheap balanced chi-fi cable on ebay for them to run in the 2.5 output. will update on my findings!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
May 9, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #839 of 3,483
Spent today using the supplied Final Audio tips and found the fit fairly pleasing.

I didn't need such a deep insert either, although the small bore lessened the highs a bit.

E90E414E-02A5-4FDC-8495-A91F26A95C11.jpeg

2D26909B-C02E-43BA-A66B-81211BD3A2E1.jpeg

F07A2325-11C4-445A-ABF8-FAF7B2BDC5E4.jpeg

May 9, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #840 of 3,483
So I guess there are no equalization ports to reduce pressure build up in Atlas.. that is a big no go for me.

Aren't those tiny holes on the back of the Atlas pressure ports or something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back