NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
May 9, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #843 of 3,483
Aren't those tiny holes on the back of the Atlas pressure ports or something else?

Sure looks like it to me. Seems pretty obvious. Don't know why people are saying there isn't. I mean, these aren't some kind mistake I would imagine ( I really am curious to see the graphs, btw). Then again, I don't know the physics. You can have acoustic suspension with intentional back pressure, although those aren't as common, and I haven't clue about something this small.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #844 of 3,483
Aren't those tiny holes on the back of the Atlas pressure ports or something else?

Sure looks like it to me. Seems pretty obvious. Don't know why people are saying there isn't. I mean, these aren't some kind of idiot mistake :D

I believe they're tuning ports like how they were on the Vega... unless I missed something.

May 10, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #848 of 3,483
20180510_195818.jpg

May 10, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #849 of 3,483
Can anyone compare the Comets to the gr07 bass or classic?

I own both actually.

The GR07BE (2017) with MMCX is definitely much warmer and smoother. Great for listening at the end of a day or night time. More extension to the sub-bass and focus on mid-bass. Vocals are clear (no bleeding). Treble can be sharp but is tamed if you use foam tips (I use Shure olive tips). Soundstage is very wide and separation of instruments is good, but not detailed. Very lightweight ear piece and non-tangle cables. Scales nicely with an amp. Very good for rock music, especially with male vocals. Think Queens of the Stone Age.

The Comets are much more balanced sounding with a very slight V-shape. It has a very unique sound signature in that it feels like small speakers (like sound bouncing back to you in a cave). This is a love or hate. Bass is very good for a BA in terms of quantity and clarity, however, sub-bass does not reach as deep as the GR07BE. Vocals are clear and trebles are nicely extended without sibilance. Soundstage width is average I think but deeper than the GR07BE. I prefer the Comets unamped because I feel like it changes its uniquely tuned sound. Great all arounder IEM and can listen throughout the day. Particularly good for pop and EDM type of music.

I wouldn't be able to pick between the two but I'm glad I have both. The Comets are probably better all around though if you were to blindly give someone whereas the GR07BE is nice for someone who likes a lot of warmth and soundstage.

May 11, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #851 of 3,483
IMO the SXC8 is our best cable and pairs very well Atlas as well as Andromeda. SXC8 is a amazing cable the only down side is that its a big cable, also has some microphonics. If your ok with the size of the cable you would be hard pressed to find a better sounding cable.

Cheers

Ken

Better than the Gold 16...? :wink:

May 11, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #852 of 3,483
Demo'd the Comet since it just hit Singapore today.

Here are my impressions:

Sound signature is slightly warm with a larger bass presence. Bass doesn't have much extension. Mids are slightly warm and can feel gritty/rough at times. I find that the mids have ok clarity. Gets the job done, but nowhere near a beautiful lush sound. The highs have a warmer tone to them as well. They lack extension but sound pretty realistic.

Notes are midway between heavy and light. Good balance. Soundstage is a little wider than average, they have width but lack the depth and height. Imaging is actually pretty surprisingly fantastic. It stands out and works in conjunction with the wider stage.

Separation is the worst aspect of the iem. Sounds too cluttered in busy songs. Layering is average.

In terms of transparency and clarity, it barely beats iems in its price range. Detail retrieval is decent.

This IEM is going to have a hard time justifying it's value against IEMs in its price range, especially against Chifi competitors. However it's pretty coherent and natural sounding. Somewhat laid-back.

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
May 11, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #853 of 3,483
Don't know if this is placebo but I think Comet sounded more open and extended with just the stock ALO SPC LItz

It's not placebo (if u believe in cables) because of the silver plating, it will sound better in the treble

May 11, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #854 of 3,483
Demo'd the Comet since it just hit Singapore today.

Here are my impressions:

Sound signature is slightly warm with a larger bass presence. Bass doesn't have much extension. Mids are slightly warm and can feel gritty/rough at times. I find that the mids have ok clarity. Gets the job done, but nowhere near a beautiful lush sound. The highs have a warmer tone to them as well. They lack extension but sound pretty realistic.

Notes are midway between heavy and light. Good balance. Soundstage is a little wider than average, they have width but lack the depth and height. Imaging is actually pretty surprisingly fantastic. It stands out and works in conjunction with the wider stage.

Separation is the worst aspect of the iem. Sounds too cluttered in busy songs. Layering is average.

In terms of transparency and clarity, it barely beats iems in its price range. Detail retrieval is decent.

This IEM is going to have a hard time justifying it's value against IEMs in its price range, especially against Chifi competitors. However it's pretty coherent and natural sounding. Somewhat laid-back.

It if interest, what tips were you using? I've found the Comet to be pretty much the most tip dependent IEM I've heard, with a pretty big song in presentation depending on what you are wearing them with.

May 11, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #855 of 3,483
It if interest, what tips were you using? I've found the Comet to be pretty much the most tip dependent IEM I've heard, with a pretty big song in presentation depending on what you are wearing them with.

Hi, I used the spinfits. Fit was ok (spinfits aren't my favourite). I'd say the seal was deeper and was pretty full.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back