NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Apr 10, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #301 of 3,483
First time I've ever seen CA's "house sound" considered dark!

I find the B400 lacking extension than Comet and even have more recessed mids IMO. Comet with Symbio W to my ears is balanced with forward mids and good upper mid representation without harshness, not slightly V, not L-shaped (maybe with stock foam tips, worst sounding tips IMO as it dampens the mids and treble too much for my liking)

Apr 10, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #302 of 3,483
The IT01 was a more bass heavy. While the Comet is not lacking bass, there is less of it than the 01. The comet is more precise, bass hits are solid, no bleed over. The mids were very nicely presented with great detail. Comet, to me, was more neutral to bright than the 01. Maybe just the presentation of the BA vs the DD? I have nothing disparaging to say of either. Liked them both, just for different reasons. I would not have jumped on the Comet but the younger son needed an IEM and that was the one I could easily replace.

TLDR, the Comet seemed more detailed and clear and bright. The IT01 seemed more warm and rich. Not an apple to apples comparison because of driver differences and implementation. Both good choices.

Need to put a caveat in here, I only heard the Comet for about an hour last night so the impression is preliminary.

How would you compare the mids of the IT01 vs. the Comet? I like the IT01 a lot but feel that the mids are a bit...congested?

Apr 10, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #303 of 3,483
I find the B400 lacking extension than Comet and even have more recessed mids IMO. Comet with Symbio W to my ears is balanced with forward mids and good upper mid representation without harshness, not slightly V, not L-shaped (maybe with stock foam tips, worst sounding tips IMO as it dampens the mids and treble too much for my liking)

Perhaps you quoted the wrong person, but I mostly agree with you; the Comets definitely don't come off dark at the slightest to me; I do think the B400 has a warmer more natural balance as opposed to Comet's brighter, crisper midrange. Also I do too find that the B400s treble rolls off earlier in comparison.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #304 of 3,483

vocals (male and female) sound excellent

Dreams is my #1 test track when hearing/comparing IEMs. Lonesome Tears by Beck is a close 2nd.

That first time I heard Andromedas, listening to Dreams, feeling the reverb on Stevie's voice surround me in a way I've never experienced before, the left panned acoustic guitar in the chorus sitting there perfectly the entire way through...:wink:

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #306 of 3,483
Would love to see a Comet vs Etymotic ER4XR comparison!

I may be able to do that comparison for you in a couple of weeks when my Comets arrive. I'm currently listening with my ER4XR and they're amazing in terms of clarity, pace and precision with a nice amount of bass. I really don't know how the Comet will hold up.

Apr 10, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #307 of 3,483
How would you compare the mids of the IT01 vs. the Comet? I like the IT01 a lot but feel that the mids are a bit...congested?

Ok, remember, I have not have much head time with them. I found the detail in Comet much better than the 01s. I would categorize the 01s as almost v-shaped. I could hear some really good presence of mid frequencies there. I wouldn't called it congested. Maybe more recessed? It is definitely a nice piece. Very musical.

The comet had details everywhere. They seemed brighter, if not neutral. Reminded me a lot of my Cypher Labs C6 (3 BA- w/ silver cable), just not as full.
I need much more quality time to really see what they are made of. Any more impressions at this stage is just guessing.
I'll more time this weekend to really run them through different sources and can do a proper mini-review after.
Hope this helps. If you are on the fence about buying, for the price, it is a great piece. Unless you're looking for a dark sound (which these are not), I think you'll be impressed. I am so far.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #308 of 3,483
IMG_20180411_104338[1].jpg

Apr 11, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #313 of 3,483
Listening to the Comet with the Ifi Nano BL and really pleased. It's my first "decent" iem so I'm far from an expert. So far it's full sound with good resolution. The bass has good heft and the extension at the high end is just enough for me. I'm liking the Spin Fits at this point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back