New buds recommendations needed
May 22, 2021 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rincewind

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi All,
Long, longtime user who just hadn't logged in for several years, since I was happy with my setup for a long time.

My Yuin PK3 finally broke so I'm looking for new buds. They will mostly be used at my workplace (office job), where it is mostly quiet. I use earbuds instead of IEMs because I often need to be able to hear if people are talking to me, and often pull the buds out to talk a bit, then out them in. That becomes a pain in the arse with IEMs. I don't need isolation - I just crank the volume for that and pause the music if needed.

Regarding character of sound, I like neutral to slightly warm, with maybe a touch of extra bass. Sibilance or distortion between 1-4kHz is my Kryptonite (hate it). I'm feeding the buds using my iRiver H140 which puts out 20mW per channel, and I had some EQing turned on: -3dB around 1-4khz and +3 or 4dB in the sub bass frequencies. I'm not a 'bass head', but do like to hear (not necessarily FEEL) the lowest registers. I'm OK with EQing a neutral sounding earbud if it gives me a natural sound across all the frequencies but just needs a little help in the sub bass, but I'd prefer not to have to mess with it if possible (I especially don't want to have to dial out harsh treble).

For reference, at home in using a Headlamp Gilmore amplifier (if anyone even knows what that is any more, it's old!) And Beyerdynamic DT880 (250 ohm version). I also have the AKG K701, but find it lacking in bass.

I don't mind whether it's a well known brand or 'Chi-Fi', but I don't want to spend more than 120-130USD and I'd prefer to buy something which is epic value for money, than looks good or pay for a company's advertising...

What would you gentlemen and women recommend? Thanks in advance!

May 22, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 5
FiiO EM5.

May 24, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #5 of 5
Hi All,
Long, longtime user who just hadn't logged in for several years, since I was happy with my setup for a long time.

My Yuin PK3 finally broke so I'm looking for new buds. They will mostly be used at my workplace (office job), where it is mostly quiet. I use earbuds instead of IEMs because I often need to be able to hear if people are talking to me, and often pull the buds out to talk a bit, then out them in. That becomes a pain in the arse with IEMs. I don't need isolation - I just crank the volume for that and pause the music if needed.

Regarding character of sound, I like neutral to slightly warm, with maybe a touch of extra bass. Sibilance or distortion between 1-4kHz is my Kryptonite (hate it). I'm feeding the buds using my iRiver H140 which puts out 20mW per channel, and I had some EQing turned on: -3dB around 1-4khz and +3 or 4dB in the sub bass frequencies. I'm not a 'bass head', but do like to hear (not necessarily FEEL) the lowest registers. I'm OK with EQing a neutral sounding earbud if it gives me a natural sound across all the frequencies but just needs a little help in the sub bass, but I'd prefer not to have to mess with it if possible (I especially don't want to have to dial out harsh treble).

For reference, at home in using a Headlamp Gilmore amplifier (if anyone even knows what that is any more, it's old!) And Beyerdynamic DT880 (250 ohm version). I also have the AKG K701, but find it lacking in bass.

I don't mind whether it's a well known brand or 'Chi-Fi', but I don't want to spend more than 120-130USD and I'd prefer to buy something which is epic value for money, than looks good or pay for a company's advertising...

What would you gentlemen and women recommend? Thanks in advance!

U can ask in the headfi earbuds thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/

Folks there are very helpful and friendly.

My current go to endgame bud is the Yincrow RW-2000. Warm neutral set, great timbre and fit. Midbass bleeds a bit (but this adds warmth to lower mids). Easy to drive, good technicalities and subbass extends not too bad for a earbud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back